Menu

Has anyone had an endometrial ablation? I have a few questions.

I had an ablation done almost two weeks ago. During one of my consults, the doctor said no cardio or weight training for 1 week and no relations or swimming/baths for 3 weeks. When I went into surgery I double checked the exercising and he said 3 weeks! What did your doctor tell you???

Also, I was getting my cycle fairly regularly. I had the ablation done mid-cycle. Can I expect my period, or period symptoms when my cycle is due, or does it get messed up? My cycle would normally be due tomorrow and I'm feeling these weird twinges in my uterus. Just not sure what I can expect!

Thanks!

Sorry, I just don't remember the specifics. I do remember that for "relations", it was a while (or at least it seemed that way ;)). I do remember them saying that infection could be a big deal. I think I was able to return to "light" exercise fairly soon, though.

My cycles were a little wonky for a few months, but then settled into a very nice, VERY light rhythm each month. Prior to the ablation, I had about 9 months of horrid cycles. They found I had a uterine cyst that was the culprit and did the ablation since they were going to be in there anyway. I have now had over a year of "regularly scheduled programming" and I am almost 50yo. I still have PMS:glare:, but I have really enjoyed life since the ablation. Good luck with yours!

I'm not married, so if my doctor said anything about relations, it went in one ear and out the other. She said nothing about exercise to me.

As far as your periods, you may or may not have any. IIRC, most women don't. I didn't for about 6 months, then had a few, then nothing again for a long time. I did, however, have HORRID cramps for a bit. We're talking cramps that only Norco could relieve. They started about a year after the procedure and happened every month for a few months. Now, they seem to have gone away and I've had no cramps and no periods.

If you had the Novasure procedure, check their website for more info.

I had mine about 6 weeks ago. Seeing as how it was not that long ago, you would think I would remember. I believe it was 1 week no exercise and then 2 weeks light exercise. Relations was 3 weeks. I did get my first period since the procedure a week ago. I had some period is coming twinges. Some mild cramping the first day and my period only stuck around for 3 days. And it was very light. I am hoping that this is how it will be for now on. Of course, I was also hoping I would be one of the ones who never gets her period again. My doc told me that it will take about 6 months for my period to settle in to what it will be.

Interesting thread. My doc offered ablation as an option to reduce my very heavy periods. Or the Mirena IUD. I go to see her on Tuesday for an endometrial biopsy, and the IUD if I want it.

I haven't decided. Ablation seems ... extreme. But I have worries about the Mirena. May I ask what convince you ladies to go that direction? PM me if you're willing to share, but you'd rather not do so publicly...

Three weeks after my ablation my periods returned with a vengeance. So bad that I had to call the doctor who put me on hormones to stop the bleeding. After that my periods were neither light nor periodic.

I hope your outcome is better. My doctor said what you have at four months post-op is about where most women land after an ablation.

A friend of mine had the ablation and it did not work. She ended up having a hysterectomy. When the pathology came back it turns out she had adenomyosis. It is similar to endometriosis only it stays in the uterus. The only way to diagnose is with a biopsy. Doing a biopsy pre-surgery is hit or miss.

Interesting thread. My doc offered ablation as an option to reduce my very heavy periods. Or the Mirena IUD. I go to see her on Tuesday for an endometrial biopsy, and the IUD if I want it.

I haven't decided. Ablation seems ... extreme. But I have worries about the Mirena. May I ask what convince you ladies to go that direction? PM me if you're willing to share, but you'd rather not do so publicly...

If you are even remotely considering any more children, ablation is not the way to go.

I was 48 and having weird periods for the past 9 months. Turns out it was a uterine cyst. The Novasure ablation was a natural step since they were in there anyway :D. It was a complete success for me. Easy peasy after about 4 months.

I have heard of people that it just did not work for (my SIL for one). For me, it was the perfect answer.

You are welcome to pm if I can answer any questions.

FYI to anyone reading this....we did an ablation where I went into the hospital and went under general. He felt that it was the most thorough ablation but did say that it doesn't work for everyone. In that he meant, another surgery was needed to go back and get completely everything. So I think that if my bleeding comes back, it's not that the operation was a failure, it just means that we need to go back and tweak what he missed, or what grew back for whatever reason.

FYI to anyone reading this....we did an ablation where I went into the hospital and went under general. He felt that it was the most thorough ablation but did say that it doesn't work for everyone. In that he meant, another surgery was needed to go back and get completely everything. So I think that if my bleeding comes back, it's not that the operation was a failure, it just means that we need to go back and tweak what he missed, or what grew back for whatever reason.

Not sure I understand this - perhaps it has to do with your cyst and other individual circumstances.

I had the Novasure procedure. I don't think anything is taken out just for the ablation. The uterus is cauterized by high temperature water. It was done under general anesthesia.

I am a year out and I now have a regular cycle of normal periods. This is huge for me; before the procedure I could not leave the house for three days out of each month. I had been battling iron deficiency anemia for several years. Last month my lab work showed normal iron levels for the first time in five years. So for me, even with regular periods, the procedure was a success.

Bleeding alone does not mean it didn't work. Be sure to ask your doc about the difference between bleeding that is normal and expected and bleeding that indicates a further problem.

Not sure I understand this - perhaps it has to do with your cyst and other individual circumstances.

I had the Novasure procedure. I don't think anything is taken out just for the ablation. The uterus is cauterized by high temperature water. It was done under general anesthesia.

I am a year out and I now have a regular cycle of normal periods. This is huge for me; before the procedure I could not leave the house for three days out of each month. I had been battling iron deficiency anemia for several years. Last month my lab work showed normal iron levels for the first time in five years. So for me, even with regular periods, the procedure was a success.

Bleeding alone does not mean it didn't work. Be sure to ask your doc about the difference between bleeding that is normal and expected and bleeding that indicates a further problem.

I don't have a cyst, just heavy periods.

My ablation was was I think like a d&c, he went in and scraped the lining down. Or something like that (it definitely wasn't with water...he felt that the one he does is more complete...to each doctor his own, I suppose!). I'm having a brain freeze and I cannot remember the kind. But he said that a return of a heavy cycle, like what has happened to some posters, means that either not all was removed, or it's grown back. It happens to 20% of women for the type of procedure I had. So if this happens to me, I wouldn't necessarily say it didn't work, I'd say I need to go back and get the rest taken care of. I expect that I will have bleeding at periods...though I hope deep down I'll be a lucky one and only spot!