Menu

What is the best way you have found to organize recipes?

I'm open to whatever methods you have found to work for you.

Right now I use a few cookbooks and a lot of loose recipe pages stuffed in a drawer. LOL

I am considering starting a recipe binder for printouts since most of my recipes are from the internet. I would use page protectors & dividers. I plan on having one for nutritious family meals of all kinds by type, and a separate binder for low carb.

How do you organize your recipes?

I'm open to whatever methods you have found to work for you.

Right now I use a few cookbooks and a lot of loose recipe pages stuffed in a drawer. LOL

I am considering starting a recipe binder for printouts since most of my recipes are from the internet. I would use page protectors & dividers. I plan on having one for nutritious family meals of all kinds by type, and a separate binder for low carb.

I've been printing from the internet more than using books so the binder with page protectors works well for me.

I did this but I went with three binders--one for main dishes and sides, one for sweets, and one for breakfasts and breads.

The other thing I did and I've been very glad of is when I did the conversion I typed up all of my frequently used recipes and in the largest, bold print easily readable font I could. If the recipe was going to take up a page anyway, I decided to make it easiest on my poor old eyes.

The only problem I've had so far is that my binders are falling apart. I just grabbed binders that weren't in use from the school supply box. Cars for breakfast, Spiderman for dinner, and Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp as pirates for dessert. :lol:

I use pinterest and take my kindle in the kitchen with me. If I don't like a recipe after I try it, I delete it from my cooking "board." Recipes that we LOVE, I write into my handwritten cookbook (blank journal).

I have a recipe binder. I've had one since we got married (gp gave me one with a lot of my favorites in it so I wouldn't have to search everywhere for them), and just added to it since then. I have it separated by dividers into main dishes/sides/desserts/finger foods/soups & salads/candy/drinks. Sometimes I type up the recipes myself (if they are from a magazine or something) and sometimes I just print them off the internet and stick them in there.

I still have other cookbooks, too, but I hardly ever use them.

eta: Oh, and I don't put the recipe into the binder permanently unless I give it at least 2 stars. After we try it once, I give it anywhere from 1-3 stars - the 1 star recipes just get thrown away.

I get lots of cooking magazines so I have a ton of recipes I've ripped out. After years of trying to find an organizational system that works, here's what I'm finally happy with. Main categories are legal size file folders with accordion sides. Subcategories within those are are 8 1/2 x 11 file folders. Subcategories within those are business size envelopes that hold the actual recipes. Here's an outline (it seems confusing, but it's actually very easy)

Breakfast

-oatmeal

-baked goods (muffins, scones, etc.)

-pancakes/waffles

-fruit

-smoothies

-eggs

-granola/bars

-misc

Dessert

-pies

-cakes

-puddings/mousse

-brownies/bars

-cookies

-fruit

-crisps

-sweet breads

-misc

Meat

-lamb

-pork

*tenderloin

*chops

*ground

*roast

-beef

*ground

*stew

*steaks

*roasts

-veal

Poultry/fish

-chicken

*breasts: bone in

*breasts: boneless

*thighs

*parts

*ground

*whole

*cooked/leftover

-turkey

*whole

*ground

*breast

*cooked/leftover

-fish

*folders for each kind of fish

*misc.

Misc

-apps

-soup

*soup w/poultry

*soup w/meat

*veg soup

-salad

*lettuce based

*non lettuce based

*dressings

-bread

-veg sides

*an envelope for each type of veg

-starch sides

*rice

*potatoes

*winter squashes

*pasta

-veg meals

-pasta

Each week I take inventory of what food I have (we own an xtra freezer and stock up when items are on sale--we also purchased a 1/4 side of grass fed beef) Then I create a menu for the week based on what I have on hand. From there I make a shopping list.