Menu

Texas Good Citizenship

roanna

We are moving to TX next month and school is required for my 6 year old there and I've looked around at what is needed and I don't see a whole lot explaining "good citizenship" curriculum that is required to teach.

Could someone fill me in?

Also are there any other quirks of TX homeschooling that might be helpful. I think I found a HS group to be a part of so that will help.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by roanna

We just moved to TX too (Houston). For good citizenship, we're using Complete Curriculum's Social Studies. Not all of it, but a good portion of it. It covers good citizenship sort of stuff, like federal holidays, community, how to be a good person, etc etc. I'll supplement it with books on US Presidents and the like when we come to those subjects.

That is just one of the subjects you are required to teach. How you teach it is entirely up to you; no one will ask. In Tx, hs'ers are considered a private school and are unregulated by the state.
:iagree:

I take my child with me when I go vote.

We discuss local and state political issues and keep up with current events.

In the past, we have taken our child with us to local planning and zoning meetings that involve our neighborhood.

Part of being a good citizen in Texas means visiting The Alamo at least once and teaching children to respect the bluebonnets. ;) Stopping by the Blue Bell Creamery for a factory tour and free ice cream sample might also fall under 'good citizenship.'

Stop by a few historical sites and small county museums to catch a glimpse of Texas past.

Yes, it is basically government/social studies. It is a big state with a lot of rich history.

Welcome to Texas. :)

Here's the rule of thumb: If there are no details, then it's whatever you think it should be. :D

And also remember that you never have to prove anything to anyone. Texas is awesome like that.

:iagree:

We just consider good citizenship to be how to treat other people with respect, how to be involved in our community and so on. I teach that in every day life, we don't use curriculum.

Welcome to Texas! Our homeschooling laws are awesome and will allow you a lot of freedom.

History/SS Curriculum usually covers areas of good citizenship. I count Bible Study/Character study, Cub Scout and Boy Scout activities and volunteer hours all as Good Citizenship.