Menu

Looking for a great salsa recipe!!

We get together with friends every few months. The food usually centers around a theme. This time we're planning to have Mexican food because it will be close to Cinco de Mayo.

I am bringing the salsa and a few other things. I would really like to do a homemade salsa instead of something store bought.

Does anyone have really yummy salsa recipe they would be willing to share?

Chop 1 red onion

Finely dice 4-5 cloves of garlic

Get a variety of peppers, I usually use 5 or 6 jalapeños (removing some of the seeds and ribs, but not all), 1 habanero (remove the seeds and ribs) and 2-3 anaheims, but I roast those in the oven

2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes (I like the Glen Muir brand)

A handful of chopped fresh cilantro

A healthy dose of lime juice

A little olive oil

Salt and pepper

Make it a day ahead to let the garlic permeate everything; it gets hotter the longer you wait to eat it.

Pico de gallo is also good, but it is just chopped fresh tomatoes, jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, a little olive oil and a squeeze of lime.

I made this a few weeks ago for a large dinner. It was a huge hit. I like how fresh everything is, how simple it is to make, how healthy it is, and that it's cheap.

PINEAPPLE SALSA

2 c. chopped pineapple (I used 2 cans)

1 c. chopped red and/or green pepper

1/2 c. chopped red onion (or plain, or whatever)

1/4 c. lemon juice

3 T. chopped cilantro (as if I could stop at three)

1 fresh jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped (I use jarred)

Blend all ingredients, and if you can stand to wait, let set in a bowl in fridge for 4-24 hours, stirring occasionally, to allow flavors to blend.

My mom is famous for this recipe. I love it because tomatos are so terrible when not in season. When they are garden fresh, I add 2 peeled tomatoes and up the salt a tad.

1/3 yellow onion, cut into pieces

1 - 4 oz can fire roasted diced green chiles

1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, big stems removed

1 - 15 oz can S&W Mexican Style Stewed Tomatos

1 clove fresh garlic or 1/2 t garlic powder

1 - 1 1/2 t salt

2-6 jalapenos, seeded and ribbed if desired, based on taste

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor, blender, or salsa maker. I would start with 2 seeded and ribbed jalapenos, taste, and go up from there if desired. Sometimes one jalapeno is blazing and sometimes six tastes mild.

1 - 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes (I drain off most of the liquid)

1/4 of an onion (more if you like it more onion-y, but try this first)

1-2 cloves fresh garlic (I use 1 if it's really big, 2 if small)

A nice spoonful of sliced jalapeños (the ones in the jar - you can use fresh, but this is easy, and works great, plus we

always have the jarred ones on hand)

Big, fat handful of cilantro (less if you don't love it like I do)

Salt to taste (I'd start with 1/2 teaspoon and go from there)

Put everything in blender and pulse til it's the consistency you like (I prefer mine to be blended nicely, but not totally puréed).

It really is a great recipe. My ex MIL is a Texan through and through and this is her favorite recipe. It'll keep in a mason jar for a week or so, if it lasts that long. :tongue_smilie: