Menu

What am I looking for?

Gentlemommy

So I listened to a lecture about getting kids to read and comprehend, ect. And she (she was a teacher in a classical model school) talked about the different projects their classes did surrounding books. So for one they painted a mural, for another they made story boards, or a diorama, costumes, ect. I think my dd would love to do more projects like that for our read aloud books. Her mother however, is NOT creative. Lol. So I need a website/book that has a bunch of (literacy?) ideas. Does this make any sense? I don't know what to call what I am looking for...something in lieu of a book report, something fun, to incoorperate what we've been reading about. But I don't want to limit it to specific books, because we have a big home library, so I'd like to use what we already have. Lap books are ok, but we will be making the SOTW one, so I'd prefer something other than lap books. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

How old is your daughter, and do you read the same books that she does? If so, I just want to encourage you to come up with ideas yourself, even if you think you are not creative. I am the least creative person I know, but out of desperation, I started making up projects for my 8 yo to accompany his reading this year. He has acted out scenes with stuffed animals (this is almost always a possibility); built a snowshoe out of Legos; built a dozen other contraptions out of Legos; marked relevant places on a wall map; researched (and will construct) catapults (for Redwall); and written short paragraphs along the lines of, "If you were Character X and were writing home to Y, what would you say?"

None of these projects has taken very long, but they give him something to do other than read the selection/narrate it/answer comprehension questions (which, in my experience, do not actually do anything to increase comprehension). Coming up with the activities has actually been easy; keeping up with his reading is the hard part! For next year, I hope to plan some multi-chapter projects to which he can add every couple of days.

Perhaps if you posted a sample reading list, some of the ladies here could give you some ideas for the kinds of activities you are looking for. For what it is worth, the Lego and stuffed animal-type projects are one of my son's favorite parts of school. He asks for them, and I feel bad that I didn't do a better job on them this year. That is one of my summer projects, though--to get ahead of him on reading and map out fun projects in advance.

Anyway, I guess the point of all of that if I can come up with ideas, anyone can.

Terri