Menu

Teens and Smart phones!?

I need some guidance in this department. My son is turning 14 in June. I am going to purchase him a phone, but he's never had one. I have no idea where to start...plan/package/phone? What do you recommend for a teenager? I was thinking about getting him an iphone, but I'm not sure if that's the best fit. I want something that he can use internet,phone, texting. He has an ipod, and I want something that he can use just like that but with phone capabilities. It doesn't seem to make sense for him to carry two devices, kwim? Would any smart phone work, or would the iphone be the best bet? Any recommendations? I am with verizon- if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much!

If you want him to have the ability to use the internet, texting and phone, then I would go with an iPhone. Everything he has on his iPod will transfer over to his iPhone. Easy peasy.

My 14yo has just a regular phone that makes phone calls though, so I am not an expert on cell phones for kids.

My 15 yo and my 17 yo just have phones. They can call and text and take pictures and that's about it. I refuse to pay for the data plan for them.

But if you want an smart phone and he already has a ipod, an iphone is good. I'm enjoying my droid. I had an iphone. You need to check out your carrier though. What do they work with?

We ended up giving dd my old iPhone when her phone died. It meant we didn't have to buy a phone and thus a new contract. Also her plan only went up $5/month. I still think its ridiculous kids have phones worth so much, but for us it worked. We all love our iPhones. She'll get one of our 4s when we upgrade next time.

Ok, thanks for the info. I am thinking the Iphone is the right way to go. I honestly think it just makes sense b/c he already has the ipod. I just can't see him carrying both around. That seems silly. Plus, another child can inherit his old ipod/ or sell it. I'm thinking that I might be able to change my plan b/c we only have me on this plan. My dh has his own thru work. So, I was thinking that when I change/upgrade I will be eligible for a new phone and he can just have it (which will be the iphone) and I will just keep an old one. I hate to do it, but I feel like we've put it off long enough and he is starting to spend more and more time away from me. Also, we have no land line. So, I guess it's just time to suck it up and pay the fees!

Thanks for your comments!

My recommendation based on my youngest: get him the cheapest iPhone you can get. The iPhone 3GS is very affordable. Then buy him the best case you can afford. I believe Otterbox now has a waterproof case. My son is very responsible, but very clumsy and sometimes doesn't consider the end result of an activity.

He was carrying his new phone while biking. In his mind, he couldn't fall - but he did. The phone went bouncing and skidding across the asphalt. The screen was shattered but it still worked. It was the kind that had the pop out keyboard. Those are hard to find cases for.

I don't think a 14 year old would appreciate the benefits of going to the iPhone 4 over the 3GS. I wouldn't pay a lot for a phone until I could see that he was taking good care of the cheaper one. We have always used the 16th birthday as a time to get a nicer phone for the boys.