Menu

Can you look at my daughter's 8th grade plan?

Math – Chalkdust Algebra

Lang. Arts – CLE LA 8

Figuratively Speaking

Literary Lessons of Lord of the Rings

Logic – Memoria Press Traditional 1

Science – Apologia Physical Science

Geography – Oak Meadow Geography

w/ 6th grade brother -

Latin – First Form 2

History – Middle Ages/Renaissance: Truthquest Middle Ages, Renaissance/Reformation

I know it is a lot -just wondering if it is possible for motivated student who excels in LA. Thanks!

Edited by LNC
took out redundant la programs based on input below

It looks good except for the repetition in LA. Why WWS 4 if she is doing CLE 8 and The Lively Art of Writing? Literary Lessons... includes vocabulary, so that is repetition as well. In addition, it includes lots of options;i.e. complete studies of Great Books, many writing options, etc. I can't remember the content of Figurately Speaking, but it's probably covered through CLE 8 or Literary Lessons as well. If your daughter excels with LA, then I would spend the time going deep with Literary Lessons. If you streamline the LA materials, you can add an interesting elective or research project related to history, science, or a specific interest.

Edited by 1Togo

It looks good except for the repetition in LA. Why WWS 4 if she is doing CLE 8 and The Lively Art of Writing? Also, Literary Lessons... includes vocabulary, so that is repetition as well. Literary Lessons... has lots of options; i.e. complete studies of the suggested Great Books, many writing options, etc. I can't remember the content of Figurately Speaking, but it's probably covered through CLE 8 or Literary Lessons as well. If your daughter excels with LA, then I would spend the time going deep with Literary Lessons.

:iagree:Even with a student who is highly motivated in language arts I think you have too much repetition. Instead of having so much work, I would also dig deep into Literary Lessons.

:iagree:Even with a student who is highly motivated in language arts I think you have too much repetition. Instead of having so much work, I would also dig deep into Literary Lessons.

CLE 8 is just grammar and spelling, no lit or writing. Takes 30 min and is painless. It is intense grammar, like nothing else out there. She will definitely continue through 10th - 9th and 10th has grammar for 1 semester only anyway.

I want to continue through the AMSCO vocabulary series, but maybe we'll skip a year with Literary Lessons...

I like WWS, but I think for her it makes more sense to do the Lively Art of Writing and an online 1 semester class due to her age. I'll save WWS for my younger son...

Any other thoughts - this really helps!

Edited by LNC

As someone who also uses CLE LA, I agree that you should not give it up. My daughter will be in 8th grade next year and my plan for her is very similiar to what you have listed above.

I would never stop using CLE LA!

Math – Chalkdust Algebra

Lang. Arts – CLE LA 8

Figuratively Speaking

Literary Lessons of Lord of the Rings

Logic – Memoria Press Traditional 1

Science – Apologia Physical Science

Geography – Oak Meadow Geography

w/ 6th grade brother -

Latin – First Form 2

History – Middle Ages/Renaissance: Truthquest Middle Ages, Renaissance/Reformation

I know it is a lot -just wondering if it is possible for motivated student who excels in LA. Thanks!

I don't think you have too much LA, seeing what you took out. However, I would use the LL LotR and match Figuratively Speaking up to the proper sections. Many of the same terms are discussed.

Also I would be concerned about two social studies programs. Honestly I would chose one or the other, not both.

LL Lotr can take a lot of time, depending upon how much of the written work you do, and how many of the unit studies you do. We also opted to read the books aloud together, which has really made the study come to life, but does take more time. We average at least an hour a day reading and discussing and we're NOT doing the fill in worksheets or any extra writing assignments.

I would probably details the SKILLS each of these subjects will bring to the table. We've spent a lot of focus this year on skills, not just content.