Menu

Ohio questions! (regarding reporting)

I know the Ohio HS Law, I understand what it means. I am lost of what exactly Ill need to do for reporting this fall.

What exactly do I send the school? I know "Intent To Homeschool". How far in advance? If i choose a portfolio, Im assuming I send that at the end of the year or would I send this years for this fall? Who exactly do I send all this to? Surely not the main office at the local grade school.

What happens if i dont include everything? Do they give you a chance to respond back or say too bad?

I know the Ohio HS Law, I understand what it means. I am lost of what exactly Ill need to do for reporting this fall.

What exactly do I send the school? I know "Intent To Homeschool". How far in advance? If i choose a portfolio, Im assuming I send that at the end of the year or would I send this years for this fall? Who exactly do I send all this to? Surely not the main office at the local grade school.

What happens if i dont include everything? Do they give you a chance to respond back or say too bad?

I can only speak from my own experience:

In my area we don't send anything to the school. We send our information to the superindendent of our district. In our case, our information goes to someone that is not associated with any of our public school administrations.

Your first year of homeschooling you only need to send the "intent to homeschool". Each year following you will send the "intent to homeschool" along with your chosen evaluation (portfolio or testing) two weeks prior to the beginning of the year's start of school date.

I have no idea what happens if you don't send the require information. I've always sent what was required.

There may be slight variations in different districts, but for me...

I notified prior to the first year that my child would have been 6 by the local school district's age cut-off date. Then in the spring I either give the test or pull all my portfolio materials together. If going the portfolio review route, I try to get that done within a couple of weeks of the end of my school year.

Sometime during the summer, usually in July, I get a letter from the district with vaguely threatening language that states if we didn't get the minimum standard grade if we test then we will NOT be allowed to continue to homeschool. The minimum standard is on page 2 of the letter. The minimum standard is 25%. they also include their form, which asks for a little bit more information than we are legally required to provide. I ditch their form and use the one from HSLDA.

One week prior to the start of the local public school I type out my notification for the upcoming year, add a copy of the testing results or portfolio statement signed by the certified teacher, and also my own, homemade receipt for them to sign. I take it all directly to the county superintendant's office and have the receptionist or whoever there sign and date that they received it. I file the signed receipt at home with a copy of the form and testing results/portfolio review I gave the school.

I think one week doesn't give them much time to pick at anything, but is not during the crazy first week of school when it might get lost. So far, no problems after 9 years of schooling.

About a week after I take in my notification I usually receive a letter officially acknowledging their receipt of my info and excusing my dd from truancy for the school year.

Edited by hillfarm

when she didn't have everything filled out or attached....they contacted her to provide the necessary information within 7 business days. Of course, that was in August (close to the beginning of the school year) so I assume there wasn't much time before school started.

Hope this helps ease your mind!

Maybe this information from CHEO will help while we're waiting for someone from Ohio to show up. :-)

According to CHEO, you notify the local school superintendent no later than the first day of school (that would NOT be the office at your local grade school).

Also according the the PDF file notification form, you send in your assessment with next year's notification (by the first day of school).

ETA: All the Ohio peeps showed up while I was looking things up, lol.

Jennifer-

You are still in Cincinnati Public district, right?

If so, you are golden. Our district is very HS friendly. The parameters are simple.

You send it to the CPS main building (on Burnet Ave), address everything to the superintendent (Mrs. Ronan), but put HOMESCHOOL NOTIFICATION on the envelope. Send it registered mail. Call the homeschool office if you don't get anythign back within a few weeks (they are supposed to do it within 14 days, but they rarely do). The woman in the HS office is awesome. DOn't bother sending it in before july 1st. The latest you can send it in is the first day of school.

ANy other questions, just PM me.

:D

As I have a few more minutes, I thought I would give you more specific info.

What exactly do I send the school?

Letter of intent which includes list of things you'll cover, that you have a high school diploma, do 900 minimum of educational hours. A list of intended curriculum & a list of intended resources. There are many samples on line.

I know "Intent To Homeschool". How far in advance?

Between when school lets out for summer and first day of new year. I suggest the July 5th-August 15 window

If i choose a portfolio, Im assuming I send that at the end of the year or would I send this years for this fall?

You do not send a portfolio to anyone. You have an Ohio certified teacher review your portfolio and give you a signed letter stating that they looked at the portfolio and your child is progressing. You do not ned to do this when you first notify, only the years when you have already notified. You would send this paper with your new notification.

Who exactly do I send all this to?

Super of your school district. If the school has "local" in the title you send it to someone else...I forget, as I live in cincinnati and it is not a "local".

Surely not the main office at the local grade school.

NO

They cannot "approve" you, they can only say whether or not you have included all the correct info. They have 14 calendar days to respond, if they don't, you are officially excused from cumpulsory attendance...even if you didn't do everything right. Legally, this is true. If you didn't include something the regs require and they contact you before the 14 days, you must give them what they want... as long as it is in the regs. If they ask you for isbn #s or table of contents, etc, that is beyond their scope. Some districts are complete jerks, but Cincinnati is excellent.

Yes, you have a chance to respond.

You could even enroll your kid for 5 minutes and then pull them out.

Ohio rules & regs look harder than they are, and once you get a year under your belt you will be fine.

You can also administer a nationally normed test where they must get 25th percentile and above as assessment. It is always a personal preference.

Your first year reporting you send the intent to homeschool letter with assurances your following the law, a general list of curricula, and a general list of materials to your school district's superintendent office. If homeschooling from the start of the school year you want to have the letter in before the beginning of the school year. If it is mid-year, you simply withdraw the student from public school and send it right away.

At the end of your first school year you'll want to choose either the portfolio option or testing option and get that done. You send this with your second year's intent to homeschool letter before the beginning of the next school year. The portfolio option needs to be overseen by a certified teacher. You can probably find recommendations if you search for a local online yahoo homeschool group and sign up. I choose the testing option and it has always been easy and never a problem for us. I use Seton Testing Services, for $25 a student. Super easy to do.

I've never had a problem with them not accepting what I send, but by law they are supposed to notify you if you need to submit something else to comply with law and give you time to comply.

Really it's all very easy and once you have a year or two under your belt it won't seem like a big deal. I've been meaning to upload some documents I have to help newbies in Ohio with this to my blog. I'll link it here if I can get it done in the next day or two. :)

yes it has to be done by someone else.

Where in Ohio's law does it say testing has to be administered by someone other than the teacher? For the portfolio option it clearly states it must be reviewed by a certified teacher, but as far as the testing I don't recall it explicitly stating. I believe it simply states it must be a nationally normed standardized test. I'm off to check out the law again and see what I can find. :)

Where in Ohio's law does it say testing has to be administered by someone other than the teacher? For the portfolio option it clearly states it must be reviewed by a certified teacher, but as far as the testing I don't recall it explicitly stating. I believe it simply states it must be a nationally normed standardized test. I'm off to check out the law again and see what I can find. :)

I just heard that from my homeschool group when I asked if i could give the CAT for my 1st grader and they said a proctor HAD to give it, that I couldnt.

from HSLDA:

Standardized Tests: Parents who homeschool have three options for assessment. Ohio Admin. Code §

3301-34-04. At the time of notification, the family must send to their school district one of the three

items listed below:

1. A child’s test scores. If a child is tested, the child must have a composite score at least at the

25th percentile on a nationally normed standardized achievement test administered by either (a)

an Ohio licensed or certified teacher, excluding the certification of teachers in nontax-supported

schools provided under Ohio Rev. Code § 3301.071, (b) the public school, © “[an]other person

mutually agreed upon” by the parents and superintendent, or (d) a “person duly authorized by the

publisher of the test.”

An exert from OAC 3301-34-04: (bolding mine)

"(A) The parent(s) shall send to the superintendent an academic assessment report of the child for the previous school year at the time of supplying subsequent notification.

(B) The academic assessment report shall include one of the following:

(1) Results of a nationally normed, standardized achievement test.

(a) Such test shall be administered by:

(i) A licensed or certified teacher; or

(ii) Another person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent; or

(iii) A person duly authorized by the publisher of the test."

Last I checked the CAT doesn't need to be administered by someone with a teaching certificate or bachelor’s degree education. If anyone finds out otherwise please let me know! We've been administering the CAT at home with grading done by Seton Testing Services for years with no problem at all. :)

An exert from OAC 3301-34-04: (bolding mine)

"(A) The parent(s) shall send to the superintendent an academic assessment report of the child for the previous school year at the time of supplying subsequent notification.

(B) The academic assessment report shall include one of the following:

(1) Results of a nationally normed, standardized achievement test.

(a) Such test shall be administered by:

(i) A licensed or certified teacher; or

(ii) Another person mutually agreed upon by the parent(s) and the superintendent; or

(iii) A person duly authorized by the publisher of the test."

Last I checked the CAT doesn't need to be administered by someone with a teaching certificate or bachelor’s degree education. If anyone finds out otherwise please let me know! We've been administering the CAT at home with grading done by Seton Testing Services for years with no problem at all. :)

Id be interested in that too because if i didnt have to jump through hoops, id test C. I would of tested her this year.

found this on Setons Testing site in FAQ:

I need a certified teacher to administer the test?

Some states do require that a certified teacher administer tests, but most states allow parents to give the tests. Seton does not require a certified teacher to administer the test. If parents are using the CAT for their own purposes, then they need not worry about finding a certified teacher. Check with your local home school support group if you are unsure whether or not you need a certified teacher.

Edited by Jpoy85

Id be interested in that too because if i didnt have to jump through hoops, id test C. I would of tested her this year.

Thing is McGraw Hill is no longer selling the test, they've phased it out I think and replaced it with the Terra Nova. This doesn't mean the CAT isn't a valid testing option. It does mean finding the relevant info online may be trickier. Not sure a phone call would even yield results, lol. I do know that I thoroughly checked the option out years ago and I was fully satisfied I was complying with the law. If I find out anything else I'll post.

I'm not sure about the CAT test, but I just gave my son the ITBS test, and have many friends that have tested their own children for years. We ordered the test from BJU. You have to request to be a test administrator (fill out some questions and prove you have a college degree) then you can give the test. No one has ever run into any problems doing this since you have to be approved by BJU anyway.

Many companies allow you to be the proctor.

FLO, Seton and others. BJU makes you jump through all sorts of hoops, and is expensive to boot. :tongue_smilie:If the company sells it to you, you are approved.

I have done CAT and ITBS by myself at home with no problem. The results you send to the school (ONLY THE COMPOSITE SCORE, NOT THE SUBJECT SECTIONS) don't say who or where it was proctored.

If it matters to anyone, I have been approved to be my own children's assessor from now until the end of time. That is a different part of the law. It saves me much $$ that I can spend on classes and stuff (like food). :D