Menu

Is physics necessary in science sequence?

My college-bound 9th grade DS does not really like science, although does well (A's & B's). I know the typical sequence for high school science is biology, chemistry & then physics. Would this look bad on his transcript if he took a different science, whether it's physical science, astronomy or something else? DS plans to take 4 years of science (2 with a lab), but doesn't see the point of taking math-intensive physics. Do colleges expect to see this on a transcript, even if the student will not be pursuing any type of science/math career? (He's very artistic & creative.)

I would not do physical science. A lot of universities are not considering that a high school level science any more.

Conceptual Physics has much lighter math.

I don't really see a problem with doing other sciences instead of physics, like maybe environmental science or marine biology.

ETA:

There are generally 4 levels of physics in high school:

conceptual physics - lightest in math and uses Algebra I

regular physics - heavier in math and uses Algebra I

AP Physics B - much heavier in math and uses Algebra II

AP Physics C - much much heavier in math and uses Calculus

Edited by AngieW in Texas

The sequence at my high school (still followed by the school and it os a college prep private school) is physical science, biology, chemistry and then choose physics, advanced chem or anatomy and physiology.

I choose anatomy and physiology because it interested me. Physical science for us, was basically intro to physics. It was lighter math.

I think you had to be in calculus to qualify for physics, but I can't remember.

I wouldn't go with physical science as that's usually done before chemistry, and often before biology, as it's considered an intro to the other sciences. He might find conceptual physics interesting, it would be lighter in math, it would still show as physics on his transcript, and he would learn something about how things work which he might apply in his artistic, creative endeavors. As for the 4th science, IMO he should pick whatever interests him.

My daughter's science progression through high school --

9th Physical Science

10th Chemistry

11th Geology

12th Environmental Science

She applied to ten different colleges and was accepted by eight. (She was wait listed at a ninth and denied by the tenth [an Ivy League school].)

There are some colleges which do require the 'standard' three sciences -- Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. However, not all colleges do.

Regards,

Kareni

Just to clarify, I have no problem with physical science as a high school science; it's the order of it after chemistry that makes me think admissions might question why it was taken then. If you do a transcript listed by courses rather than years, that would probably work just fine.

If you son is interested in sculpture and other 3d forms of art, he might find conceptual physics interesting and helpful.

I've never heard of Conceptual Physics. Can you recommend a self-study curriculum for this?

I am not a science person any more than my son is, so the plan was for him to take all his science courses through Florida Virtual School. The FLVS current course offerings do not include conceptual physics, so if I couldn't find a self-study course for DS, then I'd still rely on FLVS for science.

Maybe if DS took physical science in 10th grade (after biology in 9th but before Chemistry in 11th), that would be a better sequence? Here is the FLVS description of their physical science course:

"This course is designed as an interactive, 21st century course focusing on basic physics and chemistry. Topics include forces and motion, energy through waves, electricity and magnetism, the matter around us, chemical bonding and reactions. This course is designed to serve as a foundation for the study of the physical sciences. The utilization of scientific inquiry, web 2.0 tools, interactive experiences, higher order thinking, collaborative projects, real world application through labs and a variety of assessments all aid the student in ultimately demonstrating a vast understanding of the importance of the physical and chemical properties of the world around them; enabling them to apply these properties to their everyday lives."

Based on this description, would it look weird to take physical science after biology? This would still leave 12th grade open for some other science that interests DS, such as marine, earth-space, forensic, or environmental.

Sorry -- lots of questions from a non-sciency mom trying to make the right choice.

Agreeing with others that Conceptual Physics might look better on the transcript than Physical Science.

The accurate answer to this question though, is not a matter of opinion. Requirements vary significantly from state to state as well as the colleges that your child plans to apply to.

Start by looking at the requirements of the colleges that your child will apply to. Some may require a physical science or physics. Others may not. I would also check to see the requirements for high school graduation at your state level. In many states home schoolers are not *bound* by these, but IMHO you will put your child at a disadvantage if you don't meet or exceed them.

In our home state of GA graduation requirements have changed as of the class of 2013 to require 4 years of science (up from 3) and to require a more specific set of classes. Students are now required to have one year each of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Physical Science, and one science elective. The university system in state has not *yet* changed their requirements, but I expect that they will shortly.

I've never heard of Conceptual Physics. Can you recommend a self-study curriculum for this?

I am not a science person any more than my son is, so the plan was for him to take all his science courses through Florida Virtual School. The FLVS current course offerings do not include conceptual physics, so if I couldn't find a self-study course for DS, then I'd still rely on FLVS for science.

Maybe if DS took physical science in 10th grade (after biology in 9th but before Chemistry in 11th), that would be a better sequence? Here is the FLVS description of their physical science course:

"This course is designed as an interactive, 21st century course focusing on basic physics and chemistry. Topics include forces and motion, energy through waves, electricity and magnetism, the matter around us, chemical bonding and reactions. This course is designed to serve as a foundation for the study of the physical sciences. The utilization of scientific inquiry, web 2.0 tools, interactive experiences, higher order thinking, collaborative projects, real world application through labs and a variety of assessments all aid the student in ultimately demonstrating a vast understanding of the importance of the physical and chemical properties of the world around them; enabling them to apply these properties to their everyday lives."

Based on this description, would it look weird to take physical science after biology? This would still leave 12th grade open for some other science that interests DS, such as marine, earth-space, forensic, or environmental.

Sorry -- lots of questions from a non-sciency mom trying to make the right choice.

There is a textbook called Conceptual Physics, by Paul Hewitt, that I think many on this forum have recommended and may be what the previous posters had in mind (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!):

http://www.amazon.com/Conceptual-Physics-11th-Edition-Hewitt/dp/0321568095

I'd suggest looking at the requirements (esp science requirements for non-science majors) for a variety of colleges (state schools, private schools, in-state and out, etc.) that might be possibilities for your ds, or for which you'd want to keep the doors open, and then aim for the most restrictive. Sometimes you'll find colleges that want to see a minimum of biology and one of the physical sciences--either Chemistry or Physics, in which case you're covered with chemistry and would have 2 years to cover sciences of more interest. But you'll want to research carefully.

Personally, I'd pick Conceptual Physics over the Physical Science course, as I think it would not only look better, but might also be more interesting with regard to physics principles (and you wouldn't have the redundancy on the chemistry principles.)