Menu

Sigh. I am certifiable.

eloquacious

I am seriously debating stalking the thrift stores and Craigslist in hopes of finding not one but two Melissa and Doug abacuses. (Abaci?) I already own one. A while back, I took it apart and did this to it: 5939754161_d30657db90_b.jpg

And now I want to get two more so that I can create a blue/yellow version like the AL Abacus and a red/white (really unfinished) version to go along with our Dreambox learning. I'm finding that the digital manipulatives aren't really cutting it for my 4 year-old, though he's mostly able to keep up with the K level, and it's helpful for him to have a real abacus to work with.

I figure that the one that is left over (and which will be primarily green) will be great for my two year-old to play around with. Am I insane? I think it should cost me around $10-$12 for two more, presumably less than a similar quality (even used) wooden AL Abacus would cost, and considerably less than the math racks sold to accompany Dreambox are.

You aren't quite certifiable....yet....

(How did you get the Melissa and Doug abacus apart. I tried to do that years ago and wasn't smart enough to get the dumb thing apart.:001_huh::lol:)

I made an abacus with beads, bamboo skewers and craft sticks. Basically, you put 10 beads on 10 skewers. Glue the skewers ends between the craft sticks. And...that's pretty much it. Use wood glue. Mine has lasted for over 3 years of light use.

Hmm... I don't recall taking it apart being as challenging as putting it back together. There was presumably some yanking. Perhaps different years have different mechanisms? Mine has screws, so they were removable, but then trying to replace all the little wires in line during naptime without assistance was ... annoying.

So I took it apart again, and I only opened up the bottom two screws and the top screw on one side. This is my intermediate solution ... I'm not thrilled, but at least the top four rows look like what my son sees in his Dreambox work.

ETA: In my defense, I'm hopped up on albuterol following a nebulizer treatment. I most likely have pneumonia and I'm going to be taking some corticosteroids soon, so... there'll be a lot more tinkering with math manipulatives once they dole out the prednisone. That, and midnight kitchen cleaning/library rearranging.

post-18758-13535086560452_thumb.jpg

post-18758-13535086560452_thumb.jpg

Edited by eloquacious

So I took it apart again, and I only opened up the bottom two screws and the top screw on one side. This is my intermediate solution ... I'm not thrilled, but at least the top four rows look like what my son sees in his Dreambox work.

ETA: In my defense, I'm hopped up on albuterol following a nebulizer treatment. I most likely have pneumonia and I'm going to be taking some corticosteroids soon, so... there'll be a lot more tinkering with math manipulatives once they dole out the prednisone. That, and midnight kitchen cleaning/library rearranging.

Feel better!

I think I'd break down and pay the $12.34 each on Amazon. We've got one that has lasted for 10 years, so they're worth the money.

I have to ask, where did you get these letters?

5936391654_034109b05d_b.jpg

They are *exactly* what I've been looking for!

They are Jolly Phonics magnets. I bought them on Amazon, but the last time I checked they weren't in stock there. I bought two sets, but I totally have too many, I'd suggest thinking through how many you need before you buy. ;)

I used them to make a movable alphabet. I put them into a plastic box that I got for like $6 at Michael's after 40% off. You can see it here: 6281952735_2bdb0430ce_b.jpg

and here 6282469496_61cac7e938_b.jpg

Always have to have a similar or near-identical activity for little brother. Then again, he knows all his letters and sounds and is starting to do CVC and he is turning 2 next week, so maybe it's more than just busywork. ;)

They are Jolly Phonics magnets. I bought them on Amazon, but the last time I checked they weren't in stock there. I bought two sets, but I totally have too many, I'd suggest thinking through how many you need before you buy. ;)

I used them to make a movable alphabet. I put them into a plastic box that I got for like $6 at Michael's after 40% off. You can see it here: 6281952735_2bdb0430ce_b.jpg

and here 6282469496_61cac7e938_b.jpg

Always have to have a similar or near-identical activity for little brother. Then again, he knows all his letters and sounds and is starting to do CVC and he is turning 2 next week, so maybe it's more than just busywork. ;)

I'l have to do some searching and see what I can find. My kids used to attend a Montessori and I was also wanting to create my own not-so-expensive moveable alphabet for my youngest. However, I've been teaching them a more D'Nealian/Modern style writing and wanted letters that were similar and they're hard to find without spending a small fortune!

I'l have to do some searching and see what I can find. My kids used to attend a Montessori and I was also wanting to create my own not-so-expensive moveable alphabet for my youngest. However, I've been teaching them a more D'Nealian/Modern style writing and wanted letters that were similar and they're hard to find without spending a small fortune!

That's funny. Given our current trajectory (going to a charter school in a few years that teaches Spalding manuscript) I sort of regret going all out of my way to get the D'Nealian style magnetic movable alphabet. If I had it to do over again I'd probably get something else. Here is my pinboard in case it helps. http://pinterest.com/eloquacious/montessori-tot-school-and-preschool/

I would probably have gotten this http://www.etacuisenaire.com/catalog/product?deptId=MAGNETICMANIPULATIVE&d0=READING%2FLANGUAGEARTS&d1=MAGNETICMANIPULATIVE&d2=60055&prodId=60055 or this http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CsearchResults~~p%7CJJ518~~.jsp

Edited by eloquacious