Menu

5th grade Latin, no experience

NotSoObvious

I thought I had decided on Lively Latin, but I've changed my mind. LFC and Prima Latina are out, too.

My goal is to have my girls take Latin through 8th grade, then be able to decide whether or not to continue it in high school.

I like the looks of Latin Prep. What do they need to know before Latin Prep 1? Is the 3 book series meant for middle school or high school? If middle school, what do they transition to for high school? So You Really Want to Learn Latin?

What about GSWL for 5th grade, then Latin Prep for 6th, 7th, and 8th?

Am I on the right track?

We like sequential, straight forward programs that make sense and don't feel like drudgery.

Well, after reading through even more threads, it seems like some people just start with Latin Prep and go slow, possibly taking two years to do the first book.

This could be an option for us.

I just worry that GSWL wouldn't get done at our house. I know, it sounds bad, but it's the truth. I need something at least a little workbooky. :)

I like the looks of Latin Prep. What do they need to know before Latin Prep 1? Nothing - it starts from the absolute beginning. Is the 3 book series meant for middle school or high school? If middle school, what do they transition to for high school? So You Really Want to Learn Latin?

Latin Prep was written for late elementary to middle school (about age 10 to 13). Some people like to spread the first book over two years, as there are workbooks to go with book 1. Others slow down book three, which is fatter and has a lot of content. After you have finished LP1, 2 and 3 you can use SY Latin 3 to round out your experience (the content of the earlier two SY books is covered in LP 1-3). After that, you are ready for your pupils to read original Latin texts, if they want to carry on through high school.

What about GSWL for 5th grade, then Latin Prep for 6th, 7th, and 8th?

I don't know GSWL, but you could certainly wait to do LP in 6th grade. I think that 10 is the earliest age for doing LP at normal speed (for most children) but a little later is good too - you may find that they pick it up that much more easily.

Am I on the right track?

We like sequential, straight forward programs that make sense and don't feel like drudgery.

We enjoyed how straightforward the sequence was with LP, and the boys enjoyed the humour, which even pops up within the translations. Calvin was so happy when he discovered that the piece of Latin that he was translating into English meant, 'Master, the poets are killing the inhabitants with books.'

The best places to buy Latin Prep are from horriblebooks.com or (with free shipping) from bookdepository.co.uk. The latter has an extra 10% off at the moment if you use code APMA12 at the checkout.

Best wishes

Laura

DS11 has really enjoyed Latin Prep so far, and he's a somewhat workshy, ADD type of child. As Laura says, the humour really helps to make it a bit lighter. It's a rather silly humour, which really appeals to DS11.

Cassy

Just curious, why not LL? We do it and both kids like it. They have the BB1 and the BB2. When we finish with BB1 we will go on to BB2.

Oh, just because as much as I know my girls would love the history and the little extras, we really don't have time to do them.

Plus, in all honesty, I don't want to have one more thing to print off my own computer. We already do that for WWE and SOTW (because I have twins, pdfs are usually the cheapest way to go, but it's soooo time consuming).

I'm sure it is GREAT, but just not for us, even if it's for silly reasons. :)

The best places to buy Latin Prep are from horriblebooks.com or (with free shipping) from bookdepository.co.uk. The latter has an extra 10% off at the moment if you use code APMA12 at the checkout.

Best wishes

Laura

Thank you, thank you!

This helps so much! They'll be 10 this summer, so we'll see how it goes!

Oh, just because as much as I know my girls would love the history and the little extras, we really don't have time to do them.

Plus, in all honesty, I don't want to have one more thing to print off my own computer. We already do that for WWE and SOTW (because I have twins, pdfs are usually the cheapest way to go, but it's soooo time consuming).

I'm sure it is GREAT, but just not for us, even if it's for silly reasons. :)

Ah gotcha! My dd14 *LOVES* history. Eats it even. I don't do that portion with her, just the Latin. If she wants to do the history in her free time then that is on her! :)

GSWL is a great gentle introduction to Latin - super easy to implement and inexpensive. No planning needed, just do one page a day. Each day there is one vocabulary word or concept introduced and ten sentences to translate. This would make an easy transition to Latin Prep 1. Latin Prep 1 is a little harder to schedule since it's not broken up into daily assignments. It also ramps up more quickly than GSWL.

You might also look at Visual Latin. I really like this program and think it's perfect for that age although a bit more costly. It can be used all on its own. Very easy to schedule and you don't have to teach it. Just pop in the video, watch it for about 10 min., do the worksheet. Repeat if necessary. It has a schedule which integrates with Lingua Latina, an immersion style textbook. You could also use Latin Prep as a supplement and reinforcement. This program covers two years of Latin currently.

Plus, in all honesty, I don't want to have one more thing to print off my own computer.

Glossing over the history portion of the program hasn't been an issue for us, but I hear you on the lack of enthusiasm about printing out a pdf book. It's tedious. Still, LL has been a nice change of pace for us this year.

I used Latin Prep for a time. Started out loving it, but for whatever reason, hit a wall. Among other things, I never could adjust to the different (than what we'd already learned) case order. Silly, I know, but there it is. And while I liked the humor in the book, eventually it came across as tacky rather than genuinely comical.

Have you considered First Form Latin?