Menu

Spin-off...Has anyone made their own cloth diapers?

I have not b/c I'm not particularly handy w/ a needle and thread (and I don't have a sewing machine!), but I'm wondering how difficult it would really be? I bought some contour cloth diapers when I used cloth almost 10 years ago. The outer layer was a soft flannel/cotton material and inside was simple a thick, terrycloth absorbant core. I don't see why you couldn't get some basic flannel cotton material (soft), some terrycloth (thick) and make a "sandwhich" of it all and sew around it! The contour design was almost like a "T" shape if you can follow that! Now you've got me thinking...!

I have not. However, at one time I bought a bunch of homemades from WAHMs. They worked great and were much cuter than what you can get from most large companies. You might try taking a peek at the Mothering boards. They have a cloth diapering forum. You will find out more than you ever thought you needed to know if you ask there. :)

I did, but they were not the fancy ones that snap. I still had to use diaper pins. By the time I had #5 I could not find cloth diapers in stores so I could either make them or order them. I got a deal on some diaper flannel from a little old fashioned black and white sewing catalog.

for his cousin before we were married. I never got any though. :glare: they were really cute. Pink polka dot on one side and blue polka dot on the other. My hubby is not the crafty type, but a hunter/fisherman rugged type, so it took everyone by surprise when he did it. I wish I could of had them.

I had a go making pilchers and decided they weren't effective enough to be worth the trouble. I don't know how you make them without using elastic at the legs, but if you do use elastic, they wet the elastic then the trousers at the first piddle.

I gave up.

Rosie

Yeah, I was in to sewing dipes, covers, liners and wipes about 6 years ago. I actually got around to selling some on eBay. I used to use a pattern for the 'honeyboy' diaper. That one was an all in one and the baby can grow in to it. I don't even know is they exist anymore.

I was also part of co-ops where you could get premium diaper making fabrics at a fraction of the cost. There co-ops for everything: cloth, snaps, fleece, velcro, waterproof material, wool.

I stopped when I realized that it took up too much of my time and how it was becoming an obsession, I would be sewing whenever I was free.

Anyhow happy sewing!

Michelle

I just did the basic contour with all the old flannel receiving blankets that everyone seemed to think I needed - I think I was handed down around 50 at least!!! Anyway, I sewed the doubler like a little flap that laid over the middle and was only connected at the very top. I hope that makes sense to you, because I just reread it and it's not a clear mental picture.... oh, well. They worked great in the wrap covers I got off ebay.