Menu

if you pick books for your kids to read for school...

where do you get your lists from? How do you decide? Do you try to pick from a variety of genres and subjects? Next fall my kids will be 12, 10 and 8...oldest girl, other 2 are boys and I want to line up a bunch of books for the kids to read...either buy them or know where I can get them. Thanks.

In the past, I've used SWB's recommendation for the different genres that she had her children read from. For specifics, I use a variety of sources: Honey for a Child's Heart (Gladys Hunt), Honey for a Teens Heart (Hunt), All Through the Ages (Miller), RC History, Books Children Love (Wilson?), book lists from different providers such as History Portfolio and NOEO science.

I use the recommendations in WTM and SOTW, Sonlight lists, Ambleside, the local school system reading lists, and books I remember enjoying at any given age. I also have started using Amazon to find authors with similar styles to those I already know my children enjoy.