Menu

Grammar Help for the TEACHER

Guest 7odies

Guest 7odies

What is your favorite resource for training the TEACHER in Grammar? I feel like I could throw grammar curriculum at my children all day long, but if I, myself, do not have a good understanding of it, I can only be so effective at teaching it!

I have looked at the Michael Clay Thompson Grammar Books, as these seem to be more narrative in style. I'm not looking for a dry grammar reference book, but rather a way to bring the concepts to life for ME so I can understand them and get excited about introducing them to my children.

After my Teacher Training, what grammar curriculum do you like for elementary ages (2nd-5th).

Looking forward to gleaning from others!:grouphug:

Sarah

I asked this awhile ago and several people suggested Analytical Grammar. It's expensive but it looks to be really thorough and moves at a faster pace. A cheaper (FREE!) option is KISS Grammar. I keep trying to use KISS for myself but I just don't "get" the program. I think the author has recently made some changes so I should give it another shot. Hope that helps!

I plan on using KISS grammar with my DD when she is a bit older but started looking at it now as I found the website a bit difficult at first to navigate and I also needed to download the teachers manual and student workbook and try and look at them together to get it - at first I thought it assumes quite a bit of knowledge on the part of the teacher, but if reading both texts correctly you do land up teaching yourself in the process and its free which is always a bonus plus I liked that it used real texts to teach grammar and not just examples that fit whatever rule you are teaching.

Honestly, I learned a lot of grammar by teaching Rod and Staff 3 and 6 to my kiddos. Having a TM that is scripted helped a ton. I also liked the way MCT explained things, but that was just from the sample.

I had an excellent 7th grade grammar course that I still draw upon, too! God Bless that frumpy old teacher!:D

KISS grammar was very helpful to me, but before that, I used Harvey's Elementary Grammar to revise with the basic concepts. If you choose to use KISS grammar, you can either use the one-semester course for adults which is online on the web site, or you can work quickly through the sixth grade workbooks. Read every lesson and don't do each and every exercise; just accelerate through it.

I have also posted links to some free diagramming resources earlier today. If you work through those lessons, it will help you understand all grammar constructs.

What is your favorite resource for training the TEACHER in Grammar? I feel like I could throw grammar curriculum at my children all day long, but if I, myself, do not have a good understanding of it, I can only be so effective at teaching it!

I have looked at the Michael Clay Thompson Grammar Books, as these seem to be more narrative in style. I'm not looking for a dry grammar reference book, but rather a way to bring the concepts to life for ME so I can understand them and get excited about introducing them to my children.

After my Teacher Training, what grammar curriculum do you like for elementary ages (2nd-5th).

Looking forward to gleaning from others!:grouphug:

Sarah

I actually think my kids can mostly learn grammar without me, but since the whole point of learning it is so that I can use it as a tool to help them with their writing, I totally agree that it is important for the mom to know.

I have absorbed a lot just by helping my kids, but I think I may use my son's Saxon 7 grammar book over the summer before he starts writing in it in the new year. For me, my memory is not what it once was, so I think the repetition will help me actually get the terminology down. I also typed up all the definitions from the R&S 5 grammar book and plan to memorize them with my kids.

If you have a great memory, I would probably go another route, like Analytical Grammar or something else that is more streamlined.

I'm glad you posted this. It is a reminder to me that I need to get in gear and start on that grammar book!

Lisa