Menu

Life Science?

I have a rising 7th grader who has expressed strong interest in biological sciences. We did Elementary Apologia's Human Anatomy this past year and she's had a blast.

So, here's my dilemma(s):

1. Should I do another year of life science? She is good in math, but not advanced enough to do Algebra. We'll start pre-algebra late in 7th grade.

2. Would anyone be able to compare BJU Life science to CPO Life Science?

Thanks for any input!!

I have a rising 7th grader who has expressed strong interest in biological sciences. We did Elementary Apologia's Human Anatomy this past year and she's had a blast.

So, here's my dilemma(s):

1. Should I do another year of life science? She is good in math, but not advanced enough to do Algebra. We'll start pre-algebra late in 7th grade.

2. Would anyone be able to compare BJU Life science to CPO Life Science?

Thanks for any input!!

Well, maybe I can get you started. When my oldest was in 7th grade and used BJU, my younger kids in 5th (and tag-along 2nd grader) used CPO Life.

BJU was just wonderful. If you can afford the DVDs, Life Science is a top-notch class, imho. I think others would agree.

CPO Life is a beautiful book! My younger kids would watch Mrs. Vick with my 7th grader. Then they used the CPO book for reinforcement. I sat down with them to read a section; they would summarize the passage in a notebook, and they would trace/label pictures of whatever we studied. I didn't have a TM, and we really didn't try to answer end-of-chapter questions...nothing formal.

All of my kids had an earthworm to dissect that year, and the oldest also dissected a frog... once she was finished, the 2nd grader worked on it even more!

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it will get the conversation going.:001_smile:

I'm thinking of Shepherd Life Science for 7th. No alg needed, experiments look ok (they don't have a lab book out but recommend one--I bought it and it seems interesting enough).

This is what we plan on using next year with my 5th grader. We will be taking it slowly obviously but it looks like an amazing program! I have it and haven't looked really close but love what I see.

BJU's Life Science is a great course...one of my favorites. We did not use the DVDs, but I read the text and discussed it with my son. We did most of the experiments, the large insect collection, and the huge environmental notebook project. I look forward to 2nd son's turn with this course!

I think you will be pleased with the depth and breadth of the topics covered in the BJU Life. I feel that my son is well prepared for hs biology!