Menu

Seamstresses: favorite pattern for a modest girls dress?

I bought a pattern for shorts, just simple, elastic waist shorts, oh . . . maybe six years ago. I used it so often that I memorized it and now make my sons patchwork and side panel shorts every year. Same thing with A line skirts. I can cut and sew one up no problem using my homemade patchwork. I have a peasant blouse pattern that I've been working with so much I think I will have it memorized soon. But now I need a jumper style dress pattern, for girls, maybe ages four to ten, something easy, basic, that I can make in corduroys for the winter and calicos for the summer. Any favorites out there?

One of my favorite jumper-style dress patterns is the Anna pattern. You can find it at Sewzannes Here's a picture of the dress when it's made up ... (it's much cuter than the pattern pictures, imho). My dd's dress is a lightweight corduroy - but I made several in a heavier cord for winter with long sleeve shirts and tights. :) hths!

Anna Dress #1

Anna Dress #2

Not a pattern, not a jumper, but a concept called a t-shirt dress is my favorite. This is very versatile.

I've used t-shirts, polo shirts, blouses, and nice sweatshirts for the top. You cut off the shirt near or above the waist (your preference) and simply add a two-paneled gathered skirt. I typically make the skirt twice as wide as the shirt and then gather. The skirt can be cotton, corduroy, anything. I also put in a double hem so I can let it out. This simple dress can be more or less formal depending upon what you use to make it.

I got this idea off the now-defunct Titus2 Momsboard many years ago, and it has been a real life-saver. I'm not a great seamstress, and I think the bodice of a garment is usually about 2/3 of the battle, and this method makes all of that go away ; ). Hooray! You also don't typically have to mess with buttons or zippers. Hooray again!

have you looked at " sense and sensibility" they have some lovely patterns

I am in love with simplicity costume patterns. I make pattern no. 9708 for my daughter. she loves it. I have just found an Adult pattern no. 3723 which I made for myself last night. I just love the long gathered skirt and semi fitted bodice. just as well I live in the middle of nowhere and can dress as I please.:001_smile:

This was my favorite for dd back when she was young enough to want to wear the dresses I made her :001_smile: I made her the dress in so many different materials. It was cute with a turtle neck and legging in the winter with her boots and adorable with sandles in the summer. And super easy to make.

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=6493

If the link doesn't work it's Simplicity's New Look #6943

Oh how I long for those days again...

• 3 weeks later...
Not a pattern, not a jumper, but a concept called a t-shirt dress is my favorite. This is very versatile.

Cassandra, do you know of a site where I could see pictures of these? I remember seeing some years ago and having mixed feelings about how they look, and now I think I need to go back to those photos and reconsider in light of how easy these must be to sew. I tried Googling, but didn't get the right hits.

My daughter lived in these for about three years. They're great, easy to make, inexpensive, highly washable and, as Cassandra said, versatile. The can be anything from light, sleeveless summer sundresses (if you start with a tank top) to quite dressy (if you go with something dressier for the top and velour or velvet for the skirt). We had a couple of years when we went on vacation to cold places, and I made her a few of these specially designed for warmth (long sleeves and flannel skirts). She wore them with matching tights, looked adorable and kept quite toasty.

I'm trying to attach a photo. We'll see if it works. By the way, please ignore the slightly odd pose. We were taking photos for a desktop publishing project that day.

My daughter lived in these for about three years. They're great, easy to make, inexpensive, highly washable and, as Cassandra said, versatile. The can be anything from light, sleeveless summer sundresses (if you start with a tank top) to quite dressy (if you go with something dressier for the top and velour or velvet for the skirt). We had a couple of years when we went on vacation to cold places, and I made her a few of these specially designed for warmth (long sleeves and flannel skirts). She wore them with matching tights, looked adorable and kept quite toasty.

I'm trying to attach a photo. We'll see if it works. By the way, please ignore the slightly odd pose. We were taking photos for a desktop publishing project that day.

That's very cute. With plain colored T's, do you use knit fabric for the skirts? I think the ones I saw were done in quilter's cotton.

That's very cute. With plain colored T's, do you use knit fabric for the skirts? I think the ones I saw were done in quilter's cotton.

Not usually. Generally, I just bought whatever cotton or cotton/poly blends were inexpensive.

We actually used to have a great time selecting her "wardrobe" for the season. I'd take her with me and let her choose the t-shirts and the fabrics to go with them. Sometimes, I couldn't see at all how things were going to work out, but she was pretty much always right.