Menu

Chemistry Recommendations

I have a ds who is heading towards a STEM career. What would you recommend in the way of Chemistry? He is finishing up BJU Biology using DIVE right now. He will be taking Geometry and Algebra II next year to get him up to speed on math. I have everything else figured out for 10th, but am completely stuck on Chemistry.

Thanks!

We are using Tro's Introductory Chemistry. This course is taught over a full school year as a high school chemistry course or over one semester (with 1/4 to 1/3 of the chapters dropped) as a chemistry for non-science majors course in community colleges and universities.

I think the text is set up quite nicely with lots of worked-out examples. All problems in the problem-sets are set up in pairs, so I work through an assortment of the evens for my chemistry class and I assign the odds.

The solution manual is essential. It has worked out solutions to all the problems, both evens and odds.

We are using Tro's Introductory Chemistry. This course is taught over a full school year as a high school chemistry course or over one semester (with 1/4 to 1/3 of the chapters dropped) as a chemistry for non-science majors course in community colleges and universities.

I think the text is set up quite nicely with lots of worked-out examples. All problems in the problem-sets are set up in pairs, so I work through an assortment of the evens for my chemistry class and I assign the odds.

The solution manual is essential. It has worked out solutions to all the problems, both evens and odds.

Will be adding this to my list to check out. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We used the BJU Chemistry 3rd edition. We did have some trouble getting some of the same answers ("K" values, etc.) using the charts in the BJU text. So we finally just used the charts from the DIVE - we emailed the DIVE instructor and he said they may have slightly different numbers, but some of our numbers were just way different (I still have no idea why).