Menu

Algebra Options

What are my options for Algebra? I'm thinking way ahead so I don't have to make a quick decision, but I really just don't even know whats out there. We're using MM and LOF currently, about to start PreAlgebra and (depending on how well she does will determine the speed of going into Algebra) but... What are my options for higher level math? Algebra, Geometry, Trig, Calculus, etc? I've heard mixed reviews about TT, and I'm just not sure what else there is.

Try searching on the high school board. Do you know what you'll use for prealgebra, or are you waiting to decide on an algebra program first?

The main algebra options that come to my mind (as ones I personally would be interested in taking a look at as a MM user) are:

Foerster

Dolciani

AoPS

Jacobs

Singapore DM or NEM

Lial

I'm sure I'm forgetting some (and others I'm intentionally leaving out, as ones I would not favor). Maria Miller also has some reviews and recommendations for both prealgebra and algebra on the MM website.

I like Kinetic Books and Jacobs.

Kinetic Books is computer-based, but is a very thorough program and most definitely covers all the standard topics at each level.

Jacobs Algebra is a traditional program. I do really like that set 1 is review. Sets 2 and 3 are the same, just with different numbers/equations.

Maria Miller wrote a nice review of Kinetic Books.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/reviews/kinetic_books_algebra_1.php

Alpha Omega's Horizons will also have Algebra 1 out in the fall. We ordered their Pre Algebra and are happy with it. Just the Pre Algebra along contains :algebra, trig , geometry and real life applications. When ever we come across something we aren't sure about I use Khan Academy. But the teacher manual has all of the solutions it it. The lessons are nicely laid out, though it does involve some teacher involvment.

I never really gave their math a thought but when I got their catalog recently I thought,"what the heck?" and gave it a try. My daughter now enjoys math.

I've also found it to be more advanced than CLE's math. Great for someone who has a child that enjoys math and likes the challenge. I hope AOP comes out with more Horizons for the upper levels soon because it seems its the only math she really enjoys to use. But there is that option there too.

What are my options for Algebra? I'm thinking way ahead so I don't have to make a quick decision, but I really just don't even know whats out there. We're using MM and LOF currently, about to start PreAlgebra and (depending on how well she does will determine the speed of going into Algebra) but... What are my options for higher level math? Algebra, Geometry, Trig, Calculus, etc? I've heard mixed reviews about TT, and I'm just not sure what else there is.

We are sticking with LoF for higher level math, but my son is pretty serious about math.