Menu

SWB/WWS writing question

If you are using WWS, does SWB assume that you are also doing other writing? Is WWS the *only* writing your student does, or do you also do writing in other subjects? (I'm trying to decide if WWS and History Odyssey together would be too much writing. Right now, I'm thinking it would be.)

I don't think it's too much - but then that's only based on Moominmamma (12)! (I am going through a decision making time at the moment as WWS doesn't seem to suit her, but if we don't do it, we will probably be switching to Classical Writing.)

Whichever writing program we go with, I am planning to continue with History Odyssey. Moominmamma also does R&S English (entire), and a little writing for Spanish and Science.

Edited by Hedgehog

I don't think it's too much - but then that's only based on Moominmamma (12)! (I am going through a decision making time at the moment as WWS doesn't seem to suit her, but if we don't do it, we will probably be switching to Classical Writing.)

But is she actually doing both? :confused: It seems from your other thread she isn't far into WWS and you might be switching. Is she doing all the writing in History Odyssey II--including research papers etc.?

If you are using WWS, does SWB assume that you are also doing other writing? Is WWS the *only* writing your student does, or do you also do writing in other subjects? (I'm trying to decide if WWS and History Odyssey together would be too much writing. Right now, I'm thinking it would be.)

It was too much for my ds. He is a slow writer. I finally decided it was better for us to focus on the skill-building work of WWS than to burn out by doing both.

Through the year we have moved farther and farther away from the History Odyssey lessons. I should probably take it out of my signature! We do the HO map work and he does outlines of some of his history reading, but we do not do all of the summaries that HO assigns. It was just too much for us.

My 6th grader is using WWS (currently on week 24), and I am not requiring other writing. She was a reluctant writer, and with WWS, she now LOVES writing. It's seriously like a miracle. I don't want to damage that by making her do writing in other areas, so, for now, she is only doing WWS.

WWS is our main writing for the week (it takes him about 6 hour per week). It is the equivalent to an essay a week, and he has to use skills he has just learned, which is tough. 8filltheheart does an essay a week, and if it is good enough for her, it is good enough for me!:001_smile:

I have 1 1/4 hour of one-on-one time with him every day, and I have put 45 minutes of it towards writing (4 days per week). Sometimes it is on WWS, other times I use it to help him write short answer questions (these can be tricky if asking analyze, compare, evaluate etc), or we work together for a few days on a persuasive essay (he takes one side and I take the other), or we timeline/outline history, etc. So he is writing other things, but not much and not independently.

I really think it depends on the student's skill level and on how much you require from WWS. My ds often does more than WWS requires, so it takes him longer than a student that does the minimum because he/she is doing other writing throughout the week.

Ruth in NZ