Menu

Have you used anything else from IEW besides

Abbeygurl4

TWSS/SWI and their AAS program? I'm looking at "Fix It! Grammar and Editing Made Easy" and "Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization".

I'm about to take the plunge and place my order for TWSS/SWI after 3 years of floundering with other writing curriculum. I figured while we had the $$ I would try some of their other products. Any suggestions?

I like "Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization" - my boys are 5, 8 and 9, so a bit younger than yours. I bought the CD as well, because I don't trust myself to read some of the complicate poems. (Like one that starts "twas brillig, and the slimy trove" - something like that.)

I haven't used the others, even though I keep looking at their writing program.

We use Fix-It aling with their writing program. We also use WWE. It approaches writing from a completely different angle.

If I let ds choice what to start his day with he'd pick Fix-It and ask to do two-four passages. We whiteboard the passage and he uses skills learned from FLL to mark the edits. I look at it as a warm up. It has him thinking about paragraph changes, complete sentences, and strong words. We've seen that bleed over to his writing. It's a winner for us and given the number of stories included is a bargin.

Jim

I like "Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization" - my boys are 5, 8 and 9, so a bit younger than yours. I bought the CD as well, because I don't trust myself to read some of the complicate poems. (Like one that starts "twas brillig, and the slimy trove" - something like that.)

We use this too, but I don't have the CD. My 11 yo, 9yo and 6yo all do it together and enjoy it.

I've used several theme books as well as the poetry. LOVE the poetry. Love IEW. You can find lots of threads on IEW if you do a search. I think it's money well spent. We purchased our first TWSS about 13 yrs ago. Finished up another theme based book with a group of 3rd graders 2 weeks ago. The mom's couldn't believe that the girls were writing a paper a week :001_smile:

We've used their poetry memorization curriculum for the last 4 years and have really enjoyed it.

My kids illustrate each poem and we keep them in plastic sleeves in a binder. They've memorized dozens of poems and love to go back and look through (and revise) their illustrations.

We use the CD's and I print out a copy for each in Word, so they can follow along and illustrate their page.

I've used several theme books as well as the poetry. LOVE the poetry. Love IEW. You can find lots of threads on IEW if you do a search. I think it's money well spent. We purchased our first TWSS about 13 yrs ago. Finished up another theme based book with a group of 3rd graders 2 weeks ago. The mom's couldn't believe that the girls were writing a paper a week :001_smile:

I'm very glad to hear that! I just ordered TWSS/SWI, Poetry and Phonetic Zoo. :001_smile:

We use Fix-It aling with their writing program. We also use WWE. It approaches writing from a completely different angle.

If I let ds choice what to start his day with he'd pick Fix-It and ask to do two-four passages. We whiteboard the passage and he uses skills learned from FLL to mark the edits. I look at it as a warm up. It has him thinking about paragraph changes, complete sentences, and strong words. We've seen that bleed over to his writing. It's a winner for us and given the number of stories included is a bargin.

Jim

I almost ordered it, but I had to stop when I hit $350. I'm hoping I can find Fix-It used. Glad to hear your ds likes it!