Menu

Wheat Berries in Canada?

I want to invest in a mill and wheat berries ...

BUT, I live in Nova Scotia with no place to purchase cheap or even reasonably priced berries. My local health food store is ridiculously high-priced and none of my local grocery stores carry them.

So, if you are Canadian, where do you purchase your wheat berries? The western provinces, Amazon :tongue_smilie:?

I holler outside for dh to fetch me some from the field. :lol:

Seriously, though... there are farmers in NS last time I checked. Do a little scouting around. If you don't mind unscreened, you could probably get it so cheap you'd want to back a truck up for the haul. If you want screened, then try to find a farmer who does that himself. Everything else would be done by processors and they start charging and charging until it's ridiculously expensive.

Why oh why have people started calling wheat a name like wheat berries?

it is a grain or seed, not a berry.

The only place I have EVER heard it called berries is on this forum.

Wheat berries is a quite commonly used term in the States.

• 2 months later...
Guest Blaner

I live in Dartmouth NS and I just bought some wheat berries from the bulk barn. Before the Dartmouth store renovated, they didn't have them and now they do. I can't remember how much they were and not every bulk barn has them. If there's one near where you live I would ask someone there if you can order them in for you. I bought mine to grow wheat grass and they sprouted up fine and they're going in the dirt tomorrow.

To reply to the person about the term "Wheat Berries", I had never heard it before but I went to the seed store and asked them what I plant to grow wheat grass and we Googled it and it was the bag of seeds marked "Wheat Berries".

I live in Dartmouth NS and I just bought some wheat berries from the bulk barn. Before the Dartmouth store renovated, they didn't have them and now they do. I can't remember how much they were and not every bulk barn has them. If there's one near where you live I would ask someone there if you can order them in for you. I bought mine to grow wheat grass and they sprouted up fine and they're going in the dirt tomorrow.

To reply to the person about the term "Wheat Berries", I had never heard it before but I went to the seed store and asked them what I plant to grow wheat grass and we Googled it and it was the bag of seeds marked "Wheat Berries".

Oh hi! I live in HRM, too! Wonder if I know you.

Anyway, though this is an old thread, OP, I just wanted to say that I order wheat kernels (not sure if it's the same?) from Speerville Flour Mill in NB. They have a big variety of grains you can order in big bags. I mill mine, too. A group of homeschoolers just started ordering from there, too, as a group. The order coordinator lives in Cole Harbour.

Colleen, yes, my homeschool group also purchased from Speerville. We ordered enough to qualify for free shipping which was great! The Superstore carries small bags of Speerville flour. They are expensive, but good if you want to sample a bit before ordering a large quantity.

Blaner, I'll have to check out the bulk barn. Thanks. Good luck with your wheat grass. It's on our "To-Do" list!