Menu

I *NEED* help... lots of help. I just can't figure it out! Grammar!!!

Mynyel

Ok, I seriously need help.

I have posted a few times about trouble with grammar. This is for dd14. Ds10 is using FLL and I *love* it. *LOVE* it!!

I have nothing to it's equal for dd14. She hasn't ever really had formal grammar training.

I have tried these programs:

Easy Grammar - Couldn't get into it. There wasn't enough explanation of anything.

LLATL - Liked the program in that it wasn't the same thing everyday but she didn't seem to be learning anything.

Analytical Grammar - Could hardly get through the first two lessons. There was a lack of thorough explanation of the concepts.

MCT - *I* liked it. *SHE* didn't. She likes more workbookish things for that.

We are now *trying* to use R&S (Grade 7) and *I* am still having a hard time with it. It explains the concepts OK but there is an assumption of prior knowledge. I like the program but *I* am struggling with the concepts and just don't get it. It is like I have this mental block with grammar.

What should I start with? I don't care what level it is. I don't care if I need to have her start with FLL 4 (course I need advise on where to go next). I know she will blow through two levels a year if not more in the first little bit. We *NEED* it.

Please? What can you recommend?

Rachel,

Susan Wise Bauer recommends that an older student begin Rod and Staff at Level 5. It is a foundational year. If you go this route be sure to use the Oral Reviews each day. They are in the Teacher's Manual. Also, though we are only in English 3 I am finding it helpful to make review flash cards for certain lists or terms to remember.

I have read about families going to Hake after FLL 4.

Well, considering I basically am learning grammar along with DS in FLL3, I certainly wouldn't be offended if I was 14 doing it LOL! It's pretty plain and straightforward. It doesn't really speak to any certain age/grade level. I mean, I wouldn't give it to a 6 year old....

We are just trying to hurry up and finish because DS catches on quick. SOmetimes he just reads the manual and does the lesson himself.

Rachel,

Susan Wise Bauer recommends that an older student begin Rod and Staff at Level 5. It is a foundational year. If you go this route be sure to use the Oral Reviews each day..

:iagree:

You might even want to start with the 4th grade book. Even if it's too easy, you could fly through it and then begin with 5th grade. Contact Rod and Staff and ask them to send you the free curriculum samples for 4th and 5th grade. Compare the two English programs and decide from there. Whichever program you order, be sure to purchase the workbook and tests to go along with it. That will make it easier for you and your daughter to do the assignments and asses her progress.

We've been using Rod and Staff from the beginning and I'm finding the 6th grade book makes a lot of assumptions too. 4th builds the foundation, 5th reviews and builds on that foundation, and 6th moves on. That's why I'm recommending you look at the 4th grade book too.

HTH!

Dorinda

Would doing FLL 4 then going to R&S 5 work? I already have FLL 4 for ds10, I don't need to let dd14 write in it, she can do it on paper or orally.

I was actually thinking of doing that for ds10. He is flying through FLL3 right now and I know he will fly through FLL4 then I was going to start him in R&S 5.

Anyone think that is doable?

For 7th, we use a combination of MCT and ABEKA. We run through Grammar Voyage, using reinforcement from Abeka. It's been working really well for my son,who, prior to this year could not tell you the difference between a noun and a verb...despite 6 years of grammar.

Rachel,

Susan Wise Bauer recommends that an older student begin Rod and Staff at Level 5. It is a foundational year. If you go this route be sure to use the Oral Reviews each day. They are in the Teacher's Manual. Also, though we are only in English 3 I am finding it helpful to make review flash cards for certain lists or terms to remember.

I have read about families going to Hake after FLL 4.

:iagree: I started outed out using Rod&Staff book 6 and wished that I had used book 5 instead. I heard book book 7 goes really fast.

How about Hake? I have my kids use the book like a workbook and just about all of the time that works well.

You could have her do Hake 8. It supposedly is a complete grammar text or you could do one of the lower levels and then 8.

Guest WorksheetsMom

I learned the most grammar when I simply read Harvey's Grammar. It's a very small book (120 pages?). That and a sentence diagramming chart finally put everything together for me.

AND

I realized for the first time in decades that most of Grammar doesn't have real "levels". We simply learn to read and write with more words in longer sentences. If you have a diagramming chart of a compound or a complex sentence and a Grammar dictionary, you have a path for most of the Grammar one needs to know in a life time. The reason to go back to a foundational book is to learn the basics and to learn the definitions.

For those of us who are learning Grammar ourselves, there's not much need to study all 6-12 years of any Grammar program.

I hope that this is a help.

We use CLE language arts here. It is a spiral curriculum and gets great reviews on the board. Several posts here make direct comparisons between R&S and CLE. (I found a couple for you; I know there are more if you look.) It boils down to preference, I think, but CLE is known for its thoroughness. I really appreciate the way it is organized: 2 quizzes and 1 test for each booklet. It's easy to check. It's written for the student to read and complete individually. You can take a placement test (grades 1-8) to see which level to use. (High school LA doesn't seem to be covered in the placement tests...) See the following links:

For placement tests:

http://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/21

English I: LightUnits 1-5 for 9th grade; 6-10 for 10th grade or buy the set and use as you wish:

http://www.clp.org/store/by_course/147 (LU 1-5)

http://www.clp.org/store/by_course/149 (LU 6-10)

WTM Posts:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93926&highlight=R%26amp%3BS+vs.+CLE+language+arts

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7225&highlight=R%26amp%3BS+vs.+CLE+language+arts

Warriner's Handbook

These are out of print but may be found on amazon/ebay as used books. They have different levels but they all teach the same basics with easy to understand exercises. I would recommend "writing out the sentences" for most exercises. I found it tedious in high school, but now believe that it reinforced spelling, punctuation and other concepts.

I think they do have a section on diagramming that I never had to learn. I cannot comment on that section.