Menu

1st grade spelling

bry's-gal

We use Horizon for both spelling (weekly list work and activities) and Reading/Phonics (the rules and application of such). They work great together!!! To see how much my daughter (1st grade) has grown in spelling, reading and writing is amazing! I am thrilled with their program :001_smile:

Well, first, is she done with needing regular phonics instruction? I don't start my kids on a spelling course until they're reading well enough for the spelling book to be their primary phonics study.

That said, my kids are using Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure with great success. The series starts with grade 2, however. The word lists may seem light, but it's in the exercises where they have to apply them that sinks it home.

The kids who were ready early started with A Reason For Spelling level A (first grade).

We use Spell To Write And Read, which is based on the Spalding method (with spelling rules and Orton-Gillingham phonograms).

Other programs I have are: Spalding (Writing Road To Reading), How To Teach Spelling, and Spelling Plus.

I'm another big AAS fan - it is a great OG based program, but scripted (YAY!) and pre-planned so you just open and go.

We are almost done level 2. What I love the MOST about it is that my daughter actually applies the spelling concepts she has learned to rules that we haven't studied together yet - she applies them forward to more complicated words too, and that is the best sign that it's working to me!