Menu

Pocket knives and boys--What do they do with these? Safety recommendations?

Ds' grandfather gave ds a nice pocket knife for his birthday. He had our permission to do so. Ds is looking forward to joining Boy Scouts later this month, and I am requiring him to learn about proper knife stewardship. In that vein, can you share your experience?

--What are acceptable and common uses for a pocket knife?

--What constitutes an unacceptable use of the knife, and what consequences do you impose?

--What safety measures do you require of your young boys?

Thanks!

The Boy Scouts require that the boys go through a knife safety course before giving them permission to carry and/ or use a knife at scouting activities; they receive a card that shows they have successfully passed the course. (Cub Scouts do the same.) We required our son to take the Cub Scout training (he will be taking the Boy Scout training this weekend), we also read the safety information ourselves, and we allow him to carry his pocket knife with him and use it appropriately. If we see him using it inappropriately, we take it away for a given amount of time then require him to show us proper use and repeat the safety rules and reasons behind them before we return the knife. This has only happened once. :001_smile:

--What are acceptable and common uses for a pocket knife?

Whittling, cutting rope/twine/etc.

--What constitutes an unacceptable use of the knife, and what consequences do you impose?

Throwing, making stabbing motions, taking it to inappropriate venues, bragging, leaving it around, pocketing it with the safety off...loses the knife for a week. A second offense loses it until I deem him responsible enough to get it back.

--What safety measures do you require of your young boys?

If your son is joining scouts he will have to pass their tests to be able to carry a knife. My son just earned his Totin' Chip and therefore earned the right to use his knife without direct parental supervision (I still require adult supervision in the same area, though).

Uses:

Opening packaging on UPS boxes.

Cutting string on hay bales (okay, probably not highly applicable in your environs).

Losing/laundering (my experience is that the pocket knife is a big deal until the first change of jeans, then it becomes part of the detritus on top of the washing machine)

Cleaning under the fingernails, depending on the blade--some are too pointed

Whittling (good hand-eye coordination training as long as he is old enough to safely handle the knife--my kids all started whittling by age 7 or 8)

Not acceptable uses:

Carving furniture

Whittling the cat

Threatening friends and siblings

Rules:

If I see unsafe use, the pocket knife is mine for the rest of the day.

If I see a second unsafe use, the pocket knife is mine for the rest of the week.

And so on.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

My boys are in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. They have to follow the "blood circle" rule and the promise they signed on their Totin' Chip (Boy) and Whittling Chip (Cubbie). For blood circle they hold the blade of their knife, stretch their arm all the way out, and turn in a circle while standing in one spot. If the handle of the knife doesn't bump into anyone they're permitted to use the knife while standing there.

I had the boys in my Cub Scout den practice the safety rules and promise from their Bear handbook for weeks, until they could spit them back at me without prompts, before I let them begin using pocket knifes. Their first project was carving a bar of soap. These are third graders. They're allowed to carry a pocket knife at den meetings now. If they break the promise they signed when they were awarded their Whittling Chips any adult can ask them to hand over the knife, and they'll lose their chip for a time.

If you search for requirements or teaching suggestions for either chip you'll find oodles of suggestions.

Throwing, making stabbing motions, taking it to inappropriate venues, bragging, leaving it around, pocketing it with the safety off...loses the knife for a week. A second offense loses it until I deem him responsible enough to get it back.

I think the "inappropriate venues" thing is really important these days, because that includes pretty much everywhere. You have to be careful about where you carry it, even more careful about where you pull it out and use it (even for a totally innocent purpose), and even more careful that you're doing so in an utterly non-threatening manner.

I think the "inappropriate venues" thing is really important these days, because that includes pretty much everywhere. You have to be careful about where you carry it, even more careful about where you pull it out and use it (even for a totally innocent purpose), and even more careful that you're doing so in an utterly non-threatening manner.

Cool... I see that your husband designs knives, too!! Is that his main job? :) If we were closer, maybe he'd be at the Knife Show here, this wknd.... (He's not, is he?? It's in Eugene, OR)

Cool... I see that your husband designs knives, too!! Is that his main job? :) If we were closer, maybe he'd be at the Knife Show here, this wknd.... (He's not, is he?? It's in Eugene, OR)

Nope, we're in Nevada (though I'd rather live in Eugene, I think!). He had a table at a gun show this past weekend :)

Knifemaking is his main job - it was our sole income for a while, though now he's cut back a lot since I started working last year.

Uses:

Opening packaging on UPS boxes.

Cutting string on hay bales (okay, probably not highly applicable in your environs).

Losing/laundering (my experience is that the pocket knife is a big deal until the first change of jeans, then it becomes part of the detritus on top of the washing machine)

Cleaning under the fingernails, depending on the blade--some are too pointed

Whittling (good hand-eye coordination training as long as he is old enough to safely handle the knife--my kids all started whittling by age 7 or 8)

Not acceptable uses:

Carving furniture

Whittling the cat

Threatening friends and siblings

Rules:

If I see unsafe use, the pocket knife is mine for the rest of the day.

If I see a second unsafe use, the pocket knife is mine for the rest of the week.

And so on.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

:iagree:

Plus yard/gardening work.

I get annoyed when mine dc aren't carrying. They come in so handy.

The Boy Scouts require that the boys go through a knife safety course before giving them permission to carry and/ or use a knife at scouting activities; they receive a card that shows they have successfully passed the course. (Cub Scouts do the same.) We required our son to take the Cub Scout training (he will be taking the Boy Scout training this weekend), we also read the safety information ourselves, and we allow him to carry his pocket knife with him and use it appropriately. If we see him using it inappropriately, we take it away for a given amount of time then require him to show us proper use and repeat the safety rules and reasons behind them before we return the knife. This has only happened once. :001_smile:

:iagree:

My kids aren't in Scouts but hub found the manual or whatever regarding knife safety, online, and they each had to read through that and 'pass' dad's oral exam before they were permitted use.

My guys use their knives for opening packages for mom, whittling sticks of all sizes into daggers, spears....knives are also useful for cutting rope, because boys *need* rope for a million and one reasons, much like duck tape :D

Someone else laid out good ideas regarding infractions...first offense gets knife taken away for the rest of the day, second offense it's a week...and a review of knife safety handbook ;)

I think 8 is our 'magic' age here. Each boy has received a knife of their choice (following Scout guidelines for proper sizing) for their 8th birthday. :)

DS is a cub scout and next month will be doing the Whittle Chip course (along with the other boys in his den) to earn his whittle chip card.

Whittling Chip Course

Even if your son isn't a scout, it's a good program that goes through the basics about using a pocket knife, safety and consequences.

In our den we've created consequences for misuse or unsafe handling that the scouts and parents agree too. First offense is loss of the pocket knife for a week; second offense is loss of the pocket knife for a month and required repeat of the course before getting their pocket knife back.

Hmm...definitely make sure he doesn't sneak it to a playdate at the park, pull it out to show off, and start male posturing with an Aspie kid. The kid could go to his mommy with a totally different impression of what happened and make for a very awkward situation where you have to explain that your 10 year old is indeed not a homicidal maniac but merely a show-off who talks too much. Not that I have personal experience with this or anything...

My girl carries hers everywhere except church, school and the mall. She uses it constantly in her treehouse, while outside, and when designing her "stuff"-- for example, she made a contraption with yarn and hooks that allows her to open and close her bedroom door from the top of the loft, she makes leaf dolls and hiking sticks while outside, and she constantly uses it around the house. Her first one had scissors--who knew it was so handy?! She lost that one, tho, and her new one doesn't have them.

She's very responsible. However, she did learn the hard way not to allow ANYONE to borrow it. Her df cut herself on the finger when dd let her borrow it "just for a minute" while they were playing at our home.

Pocket knives are so fun! Hope he enjoys his.