Menu

How to dress for Big Island-Hilo

I am making my first trip to Hawaii next week. We will be staying in about the middle of the big island, flying into Hilo. The circumstances of my visit are tragic..my sister passed away in her sleep and we are going to retrieve her ashes and belongings. But I am wondering what to bring in terms of clothing. I live in the desert now, grew up in southern California. Do I need a rain coat? An umbrella? Shoes for rain? Can you tell that desert living has made me unaware of the frequent rain lifestyle. I need to pack lightly for six days, so don't want to bring too much if not needed. Thank you.

I visited the Big Island a long time ago and don't remember any rain at all. We lived in Honolulu for three years, too, and I don't ever remember bringing an umbrella anywhere or wearing a raincoat or special shoes. Whatever rain we had was mostly in the winter and it rarely lasted more than five minutes at a time. I think a So. Cal. wardrobe would suffice.

We lived in Hawaii for 3 years, and I am going to disagree a little with the previous posters. Hilo gets chillier than Honolulu, especially this time of year and April is still part of the rainy season. Plus, Hawaii has had an unusual amount of rain this year, lots of flooding and such. So, I would suggest bringing a couple of light cardigans that you can put on or take off as needed and a light, rainproof jacket. You can get cheap umbrellas all over the place, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I am so sorry about your sister. I am worried sick over my youngest sister right now, so that hits close to home for me.:grouphug:

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Thank you everyone. God has made me strong. Prayers for her son who is in his first year at Princeton are appreciated, and also my elderly parents who are in shock. Thankfully I live near them and have been able to spend time with them daily and make all the arrangements.