Menu

Appliance Sales, Washers, and Decisions

I know, I know . . . another washing machine thread. Please don't check out on me!

I have to decide if I should get a new washer NOW, repair the old one, or wait and get a new one when they have the sales on Memorial Day weekend. Any advice?

My current washer is 18 years old. It's a Magic Chef with a 20 lb capacity. My local laundromat calls their 20 lb machines "double loaders?" It's never needed a single repair and it worked well until it didn't. I like that it was cheap, and that I could leave the lid open if I wanted to soak things then just put the lid down to wash. If I could get the exact same thing, I would and I'd be happy for another 18 years. It just stopped spinning and draining one day and that was it. Should I just call a repair man and put the "washer money" into repairing a few things that need to be fixed around here.

After following numerous threads here, I've been scared away from the front loaders. It seems that the folks who are happy with them either have machines that are unavailable today OR they say things like "All I have to do is leave the door open, clean the rim regularly, use a special detergent, and it's ONLY been repaired twice in 5 years." I LOVE the idea of having cleaner clothes and saving on water and energy in the long run, but I just cannot go from zero maintenance in 18 years to a whole Washer Preservation Program. Also, I have a VERY sensitive nose so I cannot deal with a Smell Situation. I also wash heavy sweat-filled Judo gis regularly and I can't imagine them coming clean in a low water situation. Also, I don't want electronic components; just knobs and buttons. Still, a part of me WANTS this to be a solution so I can benefit from the savings in the long run.

My budget is low. I don't want to spend more than $600. I could go a little higher for a front-loader because of future savings. Do I buy now because life without a washer will get old FAST, or do I wait for the Memorial Day sales? Are they THAT good? What brand do I buy and from where? I have ALL of the stores near me. Right now, I'm OK with the laundromat. I can wash EVERYTHING in 40 minutes, then bring it home and put it in our dryer throughout the day. Round trip, it's an hour of my time once a week and I have older kids who I can leave at home.

Advice? Specific models that I can buy today? Wait? Risk the repair bill? What to do?

If I were in the market today, I would get a high-efficiency top loader. I got a front-loader 3 years ago, and although I haven't run into the repair or mold problems that others have, I agree with you that sometimes you need more water to get clothes clean!

About the repair - I think you have gotten good use out of an 18yo washer. Around here, minimum appliance repair is about $100 - they won't even take a look for less than $70! So I'd get a new one.

A couple of thoughts -

1. They don't make them like they used to. Now they tell you at the store with no shame that a brand new washer has a lifespan of only 8 years at the most.

2. Do you have a Sear's outlet store near you? We got a brand new machine there for much less than it would be on the floor because it had a small dent in the back where you couldn't even see it.

3. If you could repair the old one, then I would. (See #1!) You might ask them though before you pay for a service call, if they even have the parts anymore to fix a machine that old.

Look into repairs just to get an estimate and go from there.

If your machine is mechanical more than computerized, it is worth fixing. I have a 15-year old Kenmore that is just worn out and my husband is going to repair it. The cost of repairing it is still cheaper than spending $900 on a washer/dryer set even with the cost of water. Our water bill for the year is $500.

In fact, the parts store manager recommended he try to fix it first. If not, the manager recommended a more mechanical type such as a Speed Queen top loader than a computerized machine. He did not recommend a front loader.

I'd call a repair guy and get his opinion. We just bought a new machine because our front loader needed $400 in repairs and the repair guy said we were the last folks in town who had that model machine- that we got a LOT more life than most.

The repair cost for yours might be cheap- and since you love your washer, it's worth investigating.