Menu

Recs: Aruba, Bermuda, Nassau, or Jamaica?

I would love to tap into some of the experiences of those of you who have traveled to any of the above places and get some recommendations.

My husband just got bumped (twice) from a business trip and received two round-trip tickets to anywhere (not just continental US) that Air Tran flies. So, we are going to go somewhere for our anniversary in September. We just don't know where. Neither of us have been to any of the above locals.

What would be your destination and more importantly, WHY? Thanks!

I've been to all those places, and I would pick Aruba or Jamaica. Which one depends on what kind of trip you want to have. Aruba is a nicer, safer place. Jamaica is lots of fun and a little more "rustic." The only one I have chosen to visit twice (other than Nassau, because my kids wanted to go) is Jamaica.

We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon (a year late) 4yr ago. I cannot say enough good things about it. We did not leave our resort to go out on the island anywhere, so I can't speak for that, but we had a FANTASTIC time and dream about going back. The people there were soo, sooo, soooo friendly and kind.

We stayed in Negril....it's on the 7 mile beach and the west end of the island so the sunsets were GORGEOUS! Sigh....I want to go back more than anything!

I would HIGHLY recommend the Couples chain of resorts. We went to Couples Negril. It is not NEAR as spread out as the Sandals (so nice to not have to walk so far), but is comparable otherwise.

I just have to throw in a few pictures (all taken by me - not stock photos from their website) :)

post-14952-13535086499698_thumb.jpg

post-14952-13535086499899_thumb.jpg

post-14952-13535086500089_thumb.jpg

post-14952-13535086500279_thumb.jpg

Aruba is the safest, and has beautiful beaches, worldclass restaurants, all modern conveniences, and friendly people. I was born and raised there.

I find it sad that the actions of three corrupt people: the criminal, the inspector of police, and the criminal's dad, a judge (all not Aruban) are responsible for damaging the reputation of a whole country- a very safe, nice island :(

We are not all responsible for a handful of people's conduct. Unfortunately corruption can happen anywhere. The government was actually very cooperative, gave all the Aruban people off from work for one day to look for the girl as soon as she was found missing, and submitted willingly to having the island gutted out in many parts (environmentally damaging some areas, including destroying a major tourist attraction). I don't know of many countries that would do that.

The media doesn't tell the whole story. My mom still lives there, and told me what had happened. She is perturbed and perplexed that people can judge a whole country by the actions of a few people - even if there were 20. If so, no one would travel, as people go missing almost everywhere. The difference is most are not publicized. It's very sad that she went missing, and nobody deserves that fate, but common sense is the order of the day.

Most here who know me on these boards know that I'm not one to argue or quarrel, but I had to write something.

(Taking a deep breath while anticipating flames.)

Aruba is the safest, and has beautiful beaches, worldclass restaurants, all modern conveniences, and friendly people. I was born and raised there.

I find it sad that the actions of three corrupt people: the criminal, the inspector of police, and the criminal's dad, a judge (all not Aruban) are responsible for damaging the reputation of a whole country- a very safe, nice island :(

We are not all responsible for a handful of people's conduct. Unfortunately corruption can happen anywhere. The government was actually very cooperative, gave all the Aruban people off from work for one day to look for the girl as soon as she was found missing, and submitted willingly to having the island gutted out in many parts (environmentally damaging some areas, including destroying a major tourist attraction). I don't know of many countries that would do that.

The media doesn't tell the whole story. My mom still lives there, and told me what had happened. She is perturbed and perplexed that people can judge a whole country by the actions of a few people - even if there were 20. If so, no one would travel, as people go missing almost everywhere. The difference is most are not publicized. It's very sad that she went missing, and nobody deserves that fate, but common sense is the order of the day.

Most here who know me on these boards know that I'm not one to argue or quarrel, but I had to write something.

(Taking a deep breath while anticipating flames.)

I stand corrected. As we all know these types of things happen everywhere. We lived in the same city as the victim when all of this happened. It was a knee jerk reaction to something that happened too close to home for me. She was one of our own and the lack of closure makes it difficult. I'm well aware that I shouldnt judge an entire community on the actions of one group. I know I don't want to be lumped in with some of the crazies here. Truce.

How much world travel have you done? Are you planning an all-inclusive?

Virtually none, individually. I went to Spain in high school. My husband, a New Yorker, went to Canada in college and Bermuda before he was 10. As a couple--NONE!

This is why I was polling the Hive. I would love to know what people who have been to these islands think. Good experience? Great resort recommendation? Place to avoid like the plague so that we don't end up like Chevy Chase in "Vacation."

September can have hurricanes -- something to keep in mind.

True enough. Our Anniversary is 9/2, but I don't care if we go in July, August or October. As long as the grandparents watch the kiddos, I'm game.

I haven't been to Bermuda, but a couple we met on our last cruise has been there several times. They have been all over the Caribbean numerous times as well. They really like Bermuda. It's at the top of our list for the next place to visit. LOL! However, you need to visit in the summer due to it's latitude.

Nassau...hmm. If you're just walking around in the city, it might be a little scary for you. Having said that, it's a huge port of call for cruise ships. They let thousands of passengers off there weekly. You'll have to take taxis (little vans) to get around. That can be nerve-wracking, but it's something you get used to when you travel within the Caribbean. I'd grab a guidebook and read up on TripAdvisor. I'd probably do an all-inclusive there. Atlantis is the popular one, of course.

I HIGHLY recommend Blue Lagoon for a dolphin encounter or swim. Awesome! Wonderful, wonderful trainers. We experienced another similar program in Conzumel, Mexico and it was horrible, in comparison. If the seas are rough, this is a good place to spend the day. They have an enclosed lagoon that is protected from wind, etc. It's not as good as a regular beach, but when you get a couple of days in a row of rough sees, you'll be thankful that it's an option.

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/

Jamaica is another hmm for me. I would do an all-inclusive there as well. It's similar to Nassau in feel, but it has it's own flavor too. Expect to see a lot poverty. Tons of people will beg from you and want to braid your hair, if you travel out into the towns. Don't be surprised, if you get offered drugs either. Jamaica does have some pretty sites that are worth visiting.

I'm not saying you can't have a very good time at either of those places, just expect things to be different. (You've been to Spain, you know.) Study up before you go anywhere. TripAdvisor is your best friend. ;) Actually, I think all four destinations are decent choices. I'd just start reading and decide where you want to go. Then, plan the heck out of your trip. Enjoy!

PS - Hurricanes are hit-or-miss. We travel to southern Florida or the Caribbean every September/October. Some days are good, some are not. No hurricanes, though. (Knock on wood.) You can always buy travel insurance, if you're extra worried.

Virtually none, individually. I went to Spain in high school. My husband, a New Yorker, went to Canada in college and Bermuda before he was 10. As a couple--NONE!

This is why I was polling the Hive. I would love to know what people who have been to these islands think. Good experience? Great resort recommendation? Place to avoid like the plague so that we don't end up like Chevy Chase in "Vacation."

True enough. Our Anniversary is 9/2, but I don't care if we go in July, August or October. As long as the grandparents watch the kiddos, I'm game.

Edited by pitterpatter