Menu

Yes I am asking again... Ds9 has finished MM5...MM6 or ??

dS just finished MM 5 and I am trying to decided whether to just continue with MM6 (he does not LOVE MM, but he tolerates it) or move to Dolciani Pre-A or Aops. Yes, I know this has been discussed as nauseous, but now that the moment has arrived, I have to actually make a decision :001_huh:

Anyone else in the same boat?

ETA: alternatively, we could finish up LOF FRactions and move to Decimals for some review and then move to MM6 or a pre-algebra program in Sept. We could also do those texts plus finish up Cwp 4 and 5?

Edited by Halcyon

I'm all for making sure the foundation is rock solid before moving on. So it all depends on if you think MM6 will reinforce his foundation or if you think it will be overkill and he's ready to move on.

You're right. I will relook at mm6 and make a decision........

I have upto MM6A and looked at the new 6B to decide whether we need it. After looking at the topics carefully, I decided we did. It is not repitition.

Also, your 9yo is a young student. I think he will benefit from spending a few months in MM6 before moving to Pre-Algebra.

I have upto MM6A and looked at the new 6B to decide whether we need it. After looking at the topics carefully, I decided we did. It is not repitition.

Also, your 9yo is a young student. I think he will benefit from spending a few months in MM6 before moving to Pre-Algebra.

Thanks. This is where I'm leaning. We can compress and consolidate areas that he's familiar with.

I'm still a little torn about what to do with my ds, who is finishing MM5, though at school. While he could still learn plenty from MM6 (I agree that it is not repetition!! it's very good), he needs something "more," or a different style. I'm still seriously considering AoPS Prealg, now that dd11 has been through most of it so I know what's there ;). Dd is starting the on-line class for Prealg 2, and if all goes well, I'm hoping the class might be just what ds needs for next year. He really needs a community, badly, one that he can't find at school, IYKWIM, which is why I don't want to wait.

Dd8 is about to finish Saxon 6/5. I'm trying to decide what to do with her next year. Saxon 7/6 would be the obvious choice, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I do want to slow down. 7/6 would be mostly review, but I've decided that is okay. I'm adding in Hands on Equations, LOF Decimals and Percents, CWP 4 and up, Patty Paper Geometry, and various puzzles and manipulatives. She has just started a few of these and will work on Saxon plus the extras through this summer, next school year, and next summer. If it takes longer to finish, that is okay, too. I've made a conscious decision to go wider, much wider, before we go higher. If any of these things frustrate her because they are too easy, I'll look around for other materials, but I won't move ahead.

CWP 4-6 has a LOT of problems that are similar to the ones found on the SAT, so I definitely think it is worth doing those books regardless of what "spine" you choose. The more practice your student has solving those kinds of problems now, the better he/she will presumably do when the stakes are high.

CWP 4-6 has a LOT of problems that are similar to the ones found on the SAT, so I definitely think it is worth doing those books regardless of what "spine" you choose. The more practice your student has solving those kinds of problems now, the better he/she will presumably do when the stakes are high.

Thanks for this. I have been letting CWP slide. This reminded me to put it back into our schedule. However, ds lost the CWP 4 book. :glare:

Yes, we're almost done with CWP4 and some of those problems are quite challenging. I think our plan for the coming months/year will be as follows:

1. MM6, skipping over anything he knows (he's covered things like GCF and ratios in other books, but hasn't studied percentages in depth yet)

2. LOF Decimals

3. CWP 5 and begin 6 (continue 6 in 6th along with whatever Pre-A we use)

4. lots of games, review, puzzles, etc to keep up his interest.

Thanks all. I have no real interest in rushing ahead; I'd much rather DS be extremely solid on everything, almost to the point of boredom, certainly to the point where he doesn't have to "think" too much to get answers or recall how to do certain procedures. Another year or so will serve him well.

My DS8.5 gets tired of the MM format now and then. We're doing LoF fractions and decimals & percents along side (does a little MM, then some Fred). He also has an account on TT Algebra 1 -- he does what he can, based upon what he's learned, then will work at "figuring out" how to do what he can't. I'm not worried about how well he does in the TT Algebra 1, he's going to get it all again, whatever it takes to help him keep enjoying this subject...

He'll do MM6 next year, but I may sign him up for Kinetic Textbooks Pre-Algebra as well, or get TT Pre-Algebra (he really likes the TT format).