Menu

If you returned to SL after trying something else, can we talk?

I'm weighing options for next year. We're currently doing TOG year 3 working our way through unit 3. I really like TOG, but my kids aren't so much.

I've been thinking today about trying SL again. If you've left SL, and then returned, can you share why your came back and how that has affected you, your kids, and your school experience?

Edited by SewLittleTime

If you think your boys would be happier with SL, than I say go back to SL. TOG is a wonderful program, but that doesn't mean it's wonderful for everyone.

We will likely use TOG in later years, but we used SL during our K yr and really enjoyed the books. The only reason why we won't be continuing is b/c my 2 kids wouldn't easily fit into one core, and I don't want to use 2 cores at once. We've also decided to focus less on history and more on lit for 1st.

We did SL for about two years, then I quit for four months, and now we're back. So not a long break, but enough time for me to realize I like it more than I thought I did. We left to do more of a Charlotte Mason/Ambleside approach, because I felt like I was just going through the motions with SL to get those boxes checked off. It felt too jumpy to me, like to many books were being used at once. Anyway, long story short, we experimented with a very relaxed style for awhile and then realized we (yes, even the kids) missed the structure and reading all those books.

So I went back, and I've only been back to it for a week, so by no means an expert...but it feels different now. I am not viewing the guide as a long list of things I have to get done and getting all stressed out. Instead we are just reading along in the books, still using the CM method of narration instead of using the included questions....and I am really excited to continue. I think a lot of my problems with SL were just in my attitude towards it, I would just see all the lists of reading and get freaked out if we were "behind" (which we always were). Now I am giving myself permission to take longer than a year to do a core and just trying to stay relaxed overall. Hoping it'll stick this time and we'll keep doing SL.

The kids are really enjoying it as well. One thing that helps this time around is I'm encouraging them to do something else while I'm reading aloud. They can build with blocks or Legos, or knit, etc. As long as they can narrate when I'm done. They LOVE listening to the readings this way. We're using Cores B and D btw.

We started with Sonlight, then went to TOG (the "traditional" version), and then back to Sonlight.

I have two kids who are 2 1/2 years apart. I used the Core oriented to the younger one, and then had the older one read SOTW and other books.

Frankly it kept me sane. I always felt behind with TOG, but Sonlight helped us get way more done because it was a no-brainer. I skipped only a few of the books and mostly used it as written.

For us, the best curriculum was the one that got done. Sonlight did that for us.

We started with Sonlight, then went to TOG (the "traditional" version), and then back to Sonlight.

I have two kids who are 2 1/2 years apart. I used the Core oriented to the younger one, and then had the older one read SOTW and other books.

Frankly it kept me sane. I always felt behind with TOG, but Sonlight helped us get way more done because it was a no-brainer. I skipped only a few of the books and mostly used it as written.

For us, the best curriculum was the one that got done. Sonlight did that for us.

I have felt extremely behind this year b/c of our move. In retrospect, we aren't really that far behind. We should finish by the end of June.

Thanks for responding. It helps me to think this through!:001_smile:

We did SL for about two years, then I quit for four months, and now we're back. So not a long break, but enough time for me to realize I like it more than I thought I did. We left to do more of a Charlotte Mason/Ambleside approach, because I felt like I was just going through the motions with SL to get those boxes checked off. It felt too jumpy to me, like to many books were being used at once. Anyway, long story short, we experimented with a very relaxed style for awhile and then realized we (yes, even the kids) missed the structure and reading all those books.

So I went back, and I've only been back to it for a week, so by no means an expert...but it feels different now. I am not viewing the guide as a long list of things I have to get done and getting all stressed out. Instead we are just reading along in the books, still using the CM method of narration instead of using the included questions....and I am really excited to continue. I think a lot of my problems with SL were just in my attitude towards it, I would just see all the lists of reading and get freaked out if we were "behind" (which we always were). Now I am giving myself permission to take longer than a year to do a core and just trying to stay relaxed overall. Hoping it'll stick this time and we'll keep doing SL.

The kids are really enjoying it as well. One thing that helps this time around is I'm encouraging them to do something else while I'm reading aloud. They can build with blocks or Legos, or knit, etc. As long as they can narrate when I'm done. They LOVE listening to the readings this way. We're using Cores B and D btw.

Thanks. This is helpful even if it was a short time away. I'm not sure that the grass is greener either way, but maybe just a different season of our lives with different needs.

• 1 month later...

After doing two cores, I decided about a year ago that I was not going to do Sonlight. There always seemed to be a book or two I ended up not doing; it seemed expensive; and I didn't always love the way things were scheduled. SO, I decided to piece together my own core, using VP timeline cards and SOTW, finding my own readers (using SL's booklist for suggestions) and so forth. After spending some time working on this, I realized I was trying to re-invent the wheel. I was trying to do what SL had already done! Needless to say, we're back!

I felt like I was just going through the motions with SL to get those boxes checked off. It felt too jumpy to me, like to many books were being used at once. Anyway, long story short, we experimented with a very relaxed style for awhile and then realized we (yes, even the kids) missed the structure and reading all those books.

I wanted to add, also, that this was my issue with the schedule. Having grown in confidence as a HS'ing mom, it finally occurred to me that I don't have to check all the boxes (SL will actually tell you this!) OR read things in exactly the order they have scheduled! I DO love the way everything coordinates, but we often go through and read everything from one text related to the period being studied and then go back and read the biography or other read-aloud that goes with it. This puts to use the work SL has done in piecing things together, but gives a flow to our reading that we are more comfortable with. HTH!

I thought this tread was dead. LOL. My feelings were confirmed about how my boys were viewing our history and literature studies. My oldest very boldly a couple weeks ago said that he missed me cuddling on the couch with him and reading those good books. He asked to go back to Sonlight. My middle one has asked for a box day. That is what he remembers about Sonlight--too sweet!

I've really weighed both options for us, but when it comes down to it our purpose in choosing the homeschooling journey is about having relationships with our kids. Our kids are begging for the relationship, not the classics. Taking that into account, we are heading back to SL. I can honestly say, even I am looking forward to it!

I thought this tread was dead. LOL.

Well, it kinda was! In my planning for next year, I came to the forums needing some Sonlight encouragement and tried to revive some discussions. Considering that I turned into a Sonlight cheerleader, it obviously didn't take long to revive my enthusiasm! Lol!

but when it comes down to it our purpose in choosing the homeschooling journey is about having relationships with our kids. Our kids are begging for the relationship, not the classics.

thank you for this! this is exactly where we are in our homeschooling, but I sometimes pressure myself that the kids need to be doing more, when really, it's the relationship that takes place when learning together that is most important to all of us! :001_smile:

I talked quite a bit about this in the thread about having time to make bread, if anyone is interested. It got a ton of responses that I think will help validate your decision.

Sometimes we compare our families to others here who are "classically minded" and "rigorously educating" and come away thinking we're not doing enough or using what's great.

Only later, have I once found out that what I was comparing my poor boy's curricula to was a woman's plan, that mom never followed through as it bombed for her child.

Each child is so different. You are mom, you have been blessed with insight into what will work. Go for it :) Sonlight is wonderful about taking their cores back. I know, I have returned many getting that fit. Now that we have, they love it. I'm sooo much less stressed because I'm no longer trying to fit a round hole into a square peg.

Edited by momee

I didn't post before because even in my "time away" (using MOH as our history spine), I've not REALLY been able to get away from SL (still using SL lit and readers, LOL!) The books always draw me in. I still do read-alouds with my kids at 15 & 13, and while the oldest doesn't cuddle on the couch with me anymore (sigh), he never misses either. And they still sometimes ask for "one more chapter!" I haven't ever tried TOG though I've been tempted a couple of times. Some aspects of their IG intrigue me, but those SL books really have a magnetic hold on me, ha!

Just yesterday I read a thread on SL about another college student who was assigned to read books she had already read in high school through SL, (and I know I read some of them in college as well), so I've never felt it wasn't enough rigor. Anyway, hoping you enjoy SL again if you do go back!

Merry :-)

We have just finished a year of state history that I put together in the "style" of Sonlight. We will go back to SL in the fall with Core D, adding in Time Travelers CDs and going at a slightly slower pace.

So I went back, and I've only been back to it for a week, so by no means an expert...but it feels different now. I am not viewing the guide as a long list of things I have to get done and getting all stressed out. Instead we are just reading along in the books, still using the CM method of narration instead of using the included questions....and I am really excited to continue.

I totally agree! Our year away has been good because the schedule I put together did have a "box" to check, just NOT a schedule to follow for each week. And ya know what? We managed to finsh EVERY SINGLE thing I intended to do this year. But I wasn't stressed one bit by having to "follow the schedule" for each week. We worked faster and covered more in Aug/Sept and Jan/Feb, and worked slower (covering less) in our busier months of Oct/Nov and Mar/Apr.

I haven't ever tried TOG though I've been tempted a couple of times. Some aspects of their IG intrigue me, but those SL books really have a magnetic hold on me, ha!

Totally agreeing here too! In the future, I will probably continue to use SL in some capacity throughout our schooling. We love the books too much! But I no longer feel tied to the IG as a schedule, and have the confidence to do my own thing, and adjust our pace of school to match the pace of our lives. I also don't feel like I need to "finish" someone else's schedule in order to call our year complete.

I'm not thrilled with the company, but SL is the best part of our hsing day here, we're long time users, and will continue to be. We're almost done w core 4 and I feel a little sad, we've loved it so much. I had contemplated some other options for next yr, but SL gets done here and we enjoy it, so why mess w it.