Menu

AAS...please tell me it'll make sense once we start

alisoncooks

I bit the bullet and ordered AAS.

Now that is has arrived and I have had a chance to look through the materials, I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. (And a little underwhelmed: really, that's it? For that $$?)

I'm guessing I just can't see how it works, the plan and flow. I'm used to a program laying out the days (1-180ish) and working my way sequentially/linearly though those lessons. Looking at the different AAS steps is a little baffling and intimidating.

Please tell me it all falls into place once we actually start using it!

We only did level 1, but it's totally open and go, and definitely falls into place. I don't think it would have been that helpful to me to have a schedule, we didn't do it everyday, and DS would sometimes do more than one lesson in a day.

Eta: it is separated by lessons, and numerically organized, so I'm not sure what you mean about it being not linear or sequential?

Eta: it is separated by lessons, and numerically organized, so I'm not sure what you mean about it being not linear or sequential?

It is linear... I guess I'm referring to the self-paced nature of it (vs. lessons laid out) which makes me nervous. And not quite being able to see how long we'll spend on Step 1 or 2 or when I should move on... I'm probably over-thinking it.... :blushing:

(Perhaps I've been looking at our CLE materials too much and making a comparison there. It is very scripted and laid out step-by-step for each lesson.)

I can see how AAS could be a bit overwhelming in that situation. Just take it one day at a time for now. After you get into a groove, you will be able to plan more. AAS has forums and people often share how they plan each step.

For the 1st step, it's important that you take your time. You want to be sure your child knows the phonograms. Not necessarily perfectly, but generally, so that he/she can can use that knowledge to sound out the words. But after the first step, you will get into a rhythm. Maybe your child will do one step a day. Or every 3 days. Or even a week, depending on his/her level. Generally, as the material becomes more complex, your child will take longer to get through it. Don't rush - as you get into higher levels, your child will be expected to write sentences in each step.

I had trouble adjusting to AAS when we first started. In fact, I shelved it after the first couple of lessons. But several months later I picked it up again and stuck with it. Now I'm a big fan. So my advice is even if it isn't going smoothly at first, stay with it at least through the first book (which will probably go quickly anyway). Give yourself time to get comfortable with the program. I tweaked our routine until the beginning of Level 3 and now we seem to have found a system that works great for us.

I agree that it's good to take your time on the first couple of steps, but just remember not to get hung up on them having to be fully mastered perfectly before moving on.

Then it's simple to know how much to do if you simply set a timer for 15 or 20 minutes and do as much as your child can handle in that time. Do NOT push to get the whole step done unless it's coming to them easily. The biggest thing to remember is that you don't have to do a whole step each day, that isn't how the program is set up. We do 15 minutes 3-4 days a week and are making great progress.

Then it's simple to know how much to do if you simply set a timer for 15 or 20 minutes and do as much as your child can handle in that time.

:iagree:

The program really goes at completely different paces for different children. Some children NEED to spend a week on a step. Some children only need one day on that step. It's easy enough to figure out what YOUR child needs. Just open and go - no planning involved. Stick a bookmark or sticky tab on the page you're on, and open there the next day as you set your timer. Don't expect to take a whole year on level 1. Some kids spend a semester on it, and some spend a few weeks on it. Completely depends on how much knowledge the kid already has, how quickly they pick up the info (older children will go faster than a 5 year old, typically), etc.

I agree you just need to start and see how your child does. You'll quickly figure out if a lesson can be done in a day or broken into different days. Especially as you get into the lessons there can be quite a bit of writing. Since my 5 year old is a really good writer and writes a lot for her other work, I end up skipping a good portion of the diction. We usually do the 10 spelling words related to the lesson and maybe a diction sentence of two. Even the 10 words aren't always necessary. If I know she gets the material and didn't have a problem we'll do a shorter lesson that day and skip the words entirely.

I have a few few posts on my blog about AAS and how it works here. Maybe you will find it useful.