Menu

Need WWII Video Rec--Jews arrest to concentration camp/gas chamber

(Oops--I know that it should be Jews' arrest in the title....I just didn't catch it before I hit submit.)

My girls (14 and 11) and a neighbor girl (12) watched The Diary of Anne Frank this weekend (newer version that was available on Netflix). It ends with them being taken away from the annex and shows text telling us who died when/where and who survived. I'd like to show them what came next.

I'm looking for video that is succinct (not a 6 episode documentary), shows what happened to families after they were arrested all the way through to the concentration camps/gas chambers. I want them to understand what came next, but I'd like this first exposure to be informative and not over the top visually/emotionally graphic. Two of these girls are pretty sensitive and, though what happened was horrific and graphic, I'd like to give them baby steps for drinking that truth in.

Suggestions? Movies? Documentaries?

Thanks. Will check back in tonight.

Why a movie and not a book? Movies are so much more graphic.

Books that cover this: most novels by Leon Uris, particularly Exodus and QBVII. Hitler Youth.

Movies that include some scenes in concentration camps: Schindler's List. Sophie's Choice. (Be sure you watch those yourself first, and pick the right excerpts.)

The only movie I've seen to depict a round up was Sarah's Key - but I WOULD NOT recommend that for preteens or teens. Traumitizing but very good... I've read extensively about the Holocaust, but I've seen very few movies about. I get overwhelmed and emotional with the visual imagery. Really traumitized... I know it is important to remember, but it it just too much to watch it reenacted. I can't imagine encourage my children watch some of the realistic dramas...

Maybe -

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - book and movie?

Boy in the Striped Pajamas might work! It's been a while since I watched that, but there may be select scenes that would do it.

I'm not interested in a book right now because our family is actually studying Ancients and we've got a lot of reading going on. We watched the Diary of Anne Frank with the neighbor girl who is studying WWII in her homeschool and she was staying with us for a few days and that was scheduled for her. Therefore, just looking for a short follow up/through for my girls. I will likely give the recommendation for whatever I do to her mom.

Thanks for all of the responses. Any other ideas?

Hands down the Best I've ever seen is the 6+ hour documentary entited THE WAR sold by pbs and produced by Ken Burns. A MUST WATCH for a high school student but by far too graphic for these kids ages. I'd watch this before letting them watch it just to be sure, but perhaps the movie THE PIANIST.