Menu

Crockpot yogurt

Whoever posted about the crockpot yogurt thanks. *I tried it yesterday (using 1/4 gallon of milk in case I didn't like it) and woke up this morning to a crockpot full of good yogurt. *Now I'm soaking some pecans overnight to oven roast tomorrow. *Then I'll mixer some yogurt with a banana and some toasty pecans and freeze it. *The only tip I've seen for homemade frozen yogurt is to set it in the fridge the day you're going to eat it so it becomes nice soft serve. *

A second "Thanks!" to the earlier crockpot yogurt thread posters. I've enjoyed the results, too. A batch or two that didn't "yog" (probably my fault for forgetting to add the starter yogurt at the right time) was still salvaged by pouring on breakfast cereal. It was easier on my stomach than regular milk and kept just fine in the refrigerator for at least a week.

Recipe: Pour 1 gallon milk* into large crockpot. Turn on low for 2.5 hours. After 2.5 hours, unplug and let sit for 3 hours. Set out 1 cup plain yogurt (I have found that "Greek" ones do the best). After three hours, take out 2-3 cups hot milk, mix in 1 cup room-temperature yogurt, and add back in to crackpot. Stir to mix. Put lid back on, wrap in a couple of bath towels and let sit 6-8 hours. It should be thicker than milk when done, but will still be runnier than storebought yogurt. Makes a gallon. Set 1 cup aside for next time.

Option: Strain for several hours in cheesecloth for thicker yogurt. Let whey drip in to a bowl. Can be used as liquid in breadmaking or pancake making. I let it strain overnight, which makes it too thick, so I add a couple cups back in and it's just right. Straining the whey out will cut the finished amount by half which actually prices out the same as storebought yogurt (large container), but I still like going through the process and making our own out of just milk (no extra ingredients).

* You can halve this recipe.