Menu

Game Websites?

A few ideas...

My boys like to play games at Friv -- this is a huge list of games, arranged by icon; there are all sorts of games, though, some for little girls, some for older teen boys, and everything in between. So, if game content bothers you or you want to be able to pre-approve each and every game, this would not be the best site. The content changes from time to time, and it's really like turning a child loose in an arcade.

Nothing is terrible (I've not seen any games with blood/guts or realistic graphics) but just to let you know. The nice thing is no pop-ups, no interaction, no forums, etc. Some of the games only have a few levels available and then to play the extra levels you have to click off to that game's website; in our house we have a rule that's not allowed. Just another thing to be aware of, though.

Another, though there is interaction and this has a very basic free level with most stuff being more enjoyable if you have a paid subscription, is Club Penguin. There aren't forums, but there's also not zero player interaction. The players can send typed messages (or you can opt for Ultra Safe Chat, where players can only send pre-selected emoticons & text, nothing that they type themselves). My oldest is outgrowing/has outgrown this mostly, but my 11 yr old still plays.

Then they've just started Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean, similar set-up (some interaction, chat, etc., no forums) to Club Penguin but much more in-depth play, geared more towards the 12+ rather than the 10 & under.

Trying to think.....Lego has a handful of games on their website (not the ever-popular but recently cancelled Lego Universe) but there are forums there as well. Crayola.com has a few games, but not much that appeals to the 10 to 14 age range.

That's about all I can think of. Best of luck; it's hard to find something that fits all of your criteria, I think. Oh, well, and Minecraft. Almost forgot, and it's the new favorite here. The boys love Minecraft. It's a game you can play on-line or download, you pay for the download but the on-line play is free and it's a one-time fee, not a monthly membership. That might meet your criteria.

Hmm, tough one. We have a Shockwave subscription, but some of the games would be ones I wouldn't choose for the kids so I don't give them free reign. They select games they want to try and we download them. Jump Start is "safe" but I'm not sure it would be entertaining for an older set.

Lego Universe was wonderful- and now it's gone. :(

Steam has games that are totally not appropriate for my kids, but again, I select the games and we download them. The kids aren't allowed to visit the forums.

Big Fish Games is similar to Shockwave, but it also has games I don't care for and forums. So again, it's a "select and download" site for us.

Not much help, I know. Sorry. Maybe someone else has a site that can help us both out!

Oh yes, mine loved Terraria and are looking forward to the new one by those guys coming out later this year. They play Minecraft right now and DH set them up with a server so we can invite guests. But, DS is a little touchy about things being blown up, etc. so we have to warn guests about that. :glare:

Not really a game but my kids enjoy thisissand.com. When you click on the website it is blank aside from a small box in the upper left corner, click it for directions. It is cool. You get to make sand art on your screen.

I can't really think of anything else totally non-interactive. That's what online is all about. Even the above has the option to submit to a gallery and you can go look at other people's art. Not sure that qualifies as being totally non-interactive.