Menu

Does anyone use Miquon as their math spine?

Runningmom80

If you follow Lore Rasmussen's teaching style, your child's understanding and interest becomes the "spine." I think that is the best way to teach early math (in my home anyway...;)). You will want to add in some extra practice where needed and word problems.

I have always had Miquon going with something else (sometimes 2-3 other currics:001_huh::lol:). MEP, Singapore, Math Mammoth...any of those are easy to pull what you need to review/supplement Miquon. Generally, I teach new concepts with Miquon and then follow up with a more systematic program.

If you follow Lore Rasmussen's teaching style, your child's understanding and interest becomes the "spine." I think that is the best way to teach early math (in my home anyway...;)). You will want to add in some extra practice where needed and word problems.

I have always had Miquon going with something else (sometimes 2-3 other currics:001_huh::lol:). MEP, Singapore, Math Mammoth...any of those are easy to pull what you need to review/supplement Miquon. Generally, I teach new concepts with Miquon and then follow up with a more systematic program.

Much the same here.

Bill

We do. I tried touse Singapore as our main program this year, and my math-loving son started glazing over after a few months. Now we're back to Miquon as our main program and the math-love is flowing again. I still use some Singapore, especially the CWP,and some apps for drill, but Miquon is our spine.

We do. We love it. I love that it makes dd *think*, and figure things out on her own. I'm constantly surprised at HOW she figures things out. We also use MEP, slightly behind schedule, so that her brain has a chance to 'rest' between new concepts. We typically do Miquon 3-4 times a week, and MEP 2-3 times.

I know a lot of people jump around doing Miquon, but we've always just gone from the front of the books straight through, and it's worked out great that way.

I do. My oldest is finishing up the purple book. I started at orange in 1st grade and worked straight through. I also (with very few exceptions) have done every extra activity in the Annotations. I found that using Kumon graded math books for practice/drill really helped. I also like the Kumon word problem books.I also pull activities from Family Math. And I've attempted to read from the Living Math websites booklists. Usually we work on a practice page in Kumon, a few word problems and then our Miquon. We may do two pages up to 4 a day depending. We've started doing our Building Thinking Skills at math time as well.

This system has worked well for us. The gentleness of it and the discovery type method has really helped my ds.

We'll move into Saxon 5/4 next. And my youngest ds will move into Miquon after he completes Singapore K. I may try to combine some MEP with his Miquon.

I'm going to be using Miquon with dd next year in K, I think it's a better fit than with ds. I have Family Math for Young Children lying around as a supplement.

My track record shows I've been terrible at initiating and keeping up games. I have noticed when I play math games, ds turned it into something else and didn't learn much math in the process. It also tales an enormous amount of time for me to prepare everything, and I don't see the benefits.

I'm hoping Miquon will lay the foundation with dd and help her think and discover math.

We love Miquon here. It has really given me a boost of confidence. I was terrified of teaching math to my kids because I have always been so poor at it. But I am literally learning alongside my daughters. I have posted a few posts about how Miquon works at our house and how some of our games go. Feel free to check them out here. Be sure to check out the one called for the love of rods.

We've just come to the end of the purple book and it's been fantastic. I wish it carried on. DS has made an enormous amount of progress with it and really understands what he's been doing. We've done a some extra practice via some dollar shop books just to build some stamina on longer calculations, and DS has read LoF as well, but Miquon was our main math. We're having a little break at the moment and just doing Kahn Academy, Dreambox and LoF while I figure out where to next.

We love Miquon here. It has really given me a boost of confidence. I was terrified of teaching math to my kids because I have always been so poor at it. But I am literally learning alongside my daughters. I have posted a few posts about how Miquon works at our house and how some of our games go. Feel free to check them out here. Be sure to check out the one called for the love of rods.

Thank you!

I wonder if I can ask this question here - after Miquon is completed, which MM to use? Can I go into MM 2B then, or something comparable?

This is my current conundrum as well. I'd like to switch to beast but I'm wondering how long it's going to take to complete all the grades.

This is my current conundrum as well. I'd like to switch to beast but I'm wondering how long it's going to take to complete all the grades.

I'm really hoping Beast will be pounding out their books quicker now. Could just be wishful thinking on my part but I remain optimistic that by the time my 5 year old is ready she'll be able to transition seamlessly to it. We'll see though.

I wonder if I can ask this question here - after Miquon is completed, which MM to use? Can I go into MM 2B then, or something comparable?

My DD did the first five books of Miquon (all except purple) and then transitioned into MM 3B, which she is currently using. She had also done Right Start A, B, and parts of C.

I'm really hoping Beast will be pounding out their books quicker now. Could just be wishful thinking on my part but I remain optimistic that by the time my 5 year old is ready she'll be able to transition seamlessly to it. We'll see though.

I'm hoping the same. I think my DS will be ready in the fall, early 2013 at the latest, so I hope they are done by then.