Menu

Does anybody still do memory work in high school?

I am a big believer in memory work, and I've been very happy with the poetry, speeches, and facts that my kids have memorized over the years. We've always used the memory box system, and it's worked very well.

But now that I'm planning high school, it seems hard to fit it in, and I wonder if I should bother? There are always poems and speeches to memorize, and I still think it's worthwhile, but my dd (in particular) will be taking AP & CC classes in high school, and I'm thinking memory work will fall by the wayside. Perhaps it's time to quit.

We could do it during lunch, but that's about the only time I see, and I would really LOVE, for once, if the kids could NOT do schoolwork during lunch. Sometimes I like to use that time for read-alouds, or for the kids to take their plates outside, enjoy our weather (we live where the weather is best during the school year) and talk, daydream, veg out, or do anything but school for 45 minutes.

Thoughts?

How do your kids feel about memory work? I think that is the all-important question!

If they enjoy it, continue! My mother's high school (in the 1950's) required extensive memory work, and the students had recitations and speaking competitions up through graduation! As a result, her reciting random bits of poetry was part of my childhood.

If your kids really do not like the memory work, high school may be a good time to back off. Time in high school is precious and shouldn't be spent on things that are not required and/or that the kids do not value or enjoy, especially when you have given them a strong background in memory work already.

How do your kids feel about memory work? I think that is the all-important question!

If they enjoy it, continue! My mother's high school (in the 1950's) required extensive memory work, and the students had recitations and speaking competitions up through graduation! As a result, her reciting random bits of poetry was part of my childhood.

If your kids really do not like the memory work, high school may be a good time to back off. Time in high school is precious and shouldn't be spent on things that are not required and/or that the kids do not value or enjoy, especially when you have given them a strong background in memory work already.

Well now, that's a good idea. For some reason, I hadn't thought to ask them! :tongue_smilie:

I would ask what is the point of memory work?

Also, some high school subjects require enormous amounts of grunt memorization: foreign language, biology, spring to mind, but you'll find it in other classes as well. So they may be getting enough practice without doing a formal memory program. In fact, be prepared for some of this is one good reason for having done memory work at younger ages.

We plan on doing memory work in high school. We're studying Early American Literature next year and dd will learn to recite several poems and speeches from memory. Why? Because I believe that sometimes saying a poem or a speech from memory can aid in understanding the meaning of the piece, the author, and the time period in which it was written. Done correctly, reciting those pieces before groups can add to a student's public speaking ability. Also, the well-chosen quote retrieved from memory and used in an essay adds polish and dimension to the writing.

Thanks, everyone. I did ask my dd, and she said she didn't want to do it every day anymore, but does want to memorize certain things, such as MLK, Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech, part of JFK's inaugural address ("Ask not what your country...."), etc.

This would work - we could choose several speeches and poems to memorize throughout the year, but not spend so much time reviewing everything they've already memorized.

I appreciate the suggestions and comments!

We've incorporated memory work with Drama. We have 3 drama opportunities a year where the kids perform. Some are cheesy, some serious. We've tried to do "serious" selections (like The Importance of Being Earnest ) so that the kids are memorizing lit as well. Shakespeare Camp has been great. Last year they did MacBeth and ds memorize a good chunck of his character's lines (he played MacBeth).

You might want to check out Poetr Outloud. I tried to get it going among homeschoolers here this year but it didn't take. Maybe next year...

Among other things ds is memorizing Latin, science stuff, math functions, more history, etc.

In the past year, I blogged about my daughter's presentation of the following poems on my blog ... http://swimtaxi234.blogspot.com/search/label/Poem

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen ..."

"The Raven" (the majority of it)

"The Daffodils"

"She Walks in Beauty"

"If"

"The Charge of the Light Brigade"

"A Love Sonnet"

We also abused "A Love Sonnet" when we wrote a mock version of it called, "Shall I compare thee to a Cookie Cake" - fun for us. :D

In the past year, I blogged about my daughter's presentation of the following poems on my blog ... http://swimtaxi234.blogspot.com/search/label/Poem

I LOVE this!! Thanks so much....especially enjoyed the dog pictures, and loved the one with the saddle on the dog! I really like the idea of getting props/costumes together to make the recitation more special. You are obviously one of "those" fun moms. :D

Seriously, I think I will add this to what I have in mind for next year, for both my kids. Thanks for sharing!

We plan on doing memory work in high school. We're studying Early American Literature next year and dd will learn to recite several poems and speeches from memory. Why? Because I believe that sometimes saying a poem or a speech from memory can aid in understanding the meaning of the piece, the author, and the time period in which it was written. Done correctly, reciting those pieces before groups can add to a student's public speaking ability. Also, the well-chosen quote retrieved from memory and used in an essay adds polish and dimension to the writing.

These are excellent points. :iagree:

I LOVE this!! Thanks so much....especially enjoyed the dog pictures, and loved the one with the saddle on the dog! I really like the idea of getting props/costumes together to make the recitation more special. You are obviously one of "those" fun moms. :D

:D

Thanks! While I think I am a fun Mom, the props and costumes are completely my daughter's ideas. She loves being the stage director and being the "ham" since our son usually wears that title for our family.

If you have more ideas, send me a PM. In a few months, I will be putting together a list of memory work for them next year.

While our daughter has always had memory work, but because of some delay issues, our son is just now getting into the act. He only had to learn, "O Captain, My Captain" this spring, but he isn't ready to present it yet.

Memorizing several pieces a year is probably a good plan. When I was in public high school, we always had at least a few things a year to memorize, generally speeches and poetry just like most WTMers do. It's definitely not "just" a home school thing.

Our memory work has always consisted almost entirely of scripture memory. We memorized chapters or large portions of scripture as a family and it continues in high school. They have memorized other things as well in middle school and below, but only the scripture memory continues through high school. This has been one of my all-time favorite parts of our homeschooling years and one I would do all over again (and am doing all over again with my youngers!).

Lisa

You mean besides violin pieces? :)

Speech (and to some extent, debate too) call for memorization. Ds is in middle school and memorized 2 speeches this year. They're shorter than dd's. Hers is about 9 min long. Lots of facts (dates, places, people).

That's an interesting point. My dd does have to memorize violin music, and she will be in speech & debate next year. Maybe she'll have enough memorization without having to make it "formal".