Menu

Saxon sequence: transcripts & geometry questions

My elder child, a rising 9th grader, will start Saxon Algebra 1 in about two weeks. She benefits from Saxon's continual review, and has done well with Algebra 1/2, so this is why I am planning for her to use Saxon for high school math.

I have some questions, though.

I understand that the Saxon sequence is:

Algebra 1

Algebra 2

Advanced Math

Calculus

and that geometry is included in the Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 books. I'm not sure if Advanced Math also includes geometry.

How do you write a "traditional" transcript for this? It seems that colleges want to see the algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, precalc, calculus sequence, with one of these courses taken each year.

Another question: I have read where some people say that Advanced Math takes two years to get through the book. Is that standard?

And one more question. My Father's World and Laura Berquist (Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum) both recommend this sequence for 9th-12th:

Algebra 1

Jacobs Geometry

Algebra 2

Advanced Math

Is it beneficial to do a complete additional year of geometry? I understand Jacobs is proof-based. Does Saxon not include sufficient work with proofs? Does Jacobs go more in-depth with geometry than Saxon does?

Thank you for any help or answers you can give!

Since no one has a replied, I will give it a shot :D. Art Reed suggests giving a geometry credit after finishing the first 60-70 lesson of Advanced Mathematics (and he would call this course "Geometry with Advanced Algebra"). After finishing Advanced Mathematics, he suggests awarding another credit and calling it "Trig and Precalculus".

Personally, I think there are plenty of proofs in Saxon, especially when you combine Algebra II and Advanced Math. I MIGHT give the Jacob's Geometry tests to my ds over the summer just to see how he does, but I have a strong feeling he will whiz right through them.

As for how long it takes to get through Advanced Math, I have heard 3 semesters. My ds is working through it right now, and I can tell you he does about 3 lessons a week, working 1 1/2 hours each day (but sometimes 2 if he has a test that week). He also corrects all problems he misses. He must try 3 times for a correct answer. If he still does not get it after the 3rd try, he watches the solution or we talk about the problem. So this process adds a little more time as well.

I have never used Jacob's, but I would not take off a year from algebra to do only geometry. If anything, I would do geometry and alg II concurrently.

This is just my 2 cents :).

Blessings!

Michelle

The other posters are correct in that in order to fulfill the Geometry credit students must complete the first 60 lessons of Advanced Math.

Saxon does NOT have fewer problems than a traditional Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 sequence-- they are just arranged differently. Students using Saxon average 30 minutes LONGER on daily assignments than students using a traditional text.

In other words-- using Saxon does not 'cheat the system' and let the student get credit for 4 classes when they are only taking 3... They are REALLY taking 4 classes-- possibly condensed into 3 years. (Saxon Advanced Math OFTEN takes more than 2 semesters to complete.)

Some schools just add "Geometry" and 1 credit when students complete Advanced Math.

Janet in WA did this on her dss' transcripts:

Algebra 1 with Geometry - 1 credit

Algebra 2 with Geometry - 1 credit

Precalculus 1 with Geometry - 1 credit

I added a footnote that explained that a full study of high school geometry was covered in these three courses. If he had completed the Advanced Math book, I would have awarded more math credit. I'm not sure how I would have broken it down, but I have seen so many different ways of doing this -- all acceptable to colleges as far as I have seen.

Saxon's newer sequence has a separate Geometry text.

You can read about it here:

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/products/default.htm?level2Code=M0006&level3Code=M31082&level4Code=&level5Code=

This sequence is in response to b&m schools which want to stay with the "traditional" sequence and need separate texts. It is the 4th edition, however the 3rd edition is still being printed as it's what most homeschoolers want. IMO having the geometry integrated is one of the benefits of the Saxon program.

IMO having the geometry integrated is one of the benefits of the Saxon program.

Agreed - but FYI for those who have not seen the 4th edition books, it's not like there is NO geometry in the 4th edition algebra, or NO algebra in the 4th edition geometry. It's just less. But each review set has at least one or two problems from the 'other' subject :) It's not the same, but it's enough for ME at least to not FORGET everything in the algebra book as I work my way through the geometry one!! :)

Thanks everyone for explaining all this! I JUST switched from Foerster's to Saxon last week for my dd, and started my son on Saxon after he finished CLE 7. For years I've been saying I'd never use Saxon, and here we are. We all know the moral of this story.... :lol:

Years ago when a friend told me she was homeschooling her boys, I thought ... Why would you do that to them? :lol: Thankfully it was one of the rare times I kept my thoughts to myself. :tongue_smilie:

Agreed - but FYI for those who have not seen the 4th edition books, it's not like there is NO geometry in the 4th edition algebra, or NO algebra in the 4th edition geometry. It's just less. But each review set has at least one or two problems from the 'other' subject :) It's not the same, but it's enough for ME at least to not FORGET everything in the algebra book as I work my way through the geometry one!! :)

Thanks for the info! I've only flipped through the geometry and haven't seen the algebra texts at all. I think it's so awesome that you're working your way through the books as prep for teaching your children! :)