Menu

Brit Lit - which curriculum to use

I'm looking for input on Brit Lit curricula for my rising 10th grader. I've narrowed it down to: Excellence in Literature, Lightning Lit, or Sonlight Core 530.

My son loves history and science, and wants to major in computer science in college. He is a voracious reader, but hates to write. Any suggestions as to which of these curricula might be the best fit for him?

I've used Lightning Lit. It assumes that the student has the basics in writing under their belt before you tackle the British Lit program. While it gives some direction, there might not be enough there if your son really hates to write and needs to learn the nuts and bolts still. We enjoyed the curriculum very much though. I didn't follow it exactly. We only read some of the books. I used LL for discussion fodder. We didn't do every writing assignment. I let the kids pick and choose which they wanted to do.

Have you looked at samples for each?

How much depth do you want?

How independently will DS be working -- or will you be doing it along with him?

Do you want something that is complete and needs no supplement, or do you plan on supplementing?

Of the 3 choices you listed, while I did not use any of them, I did do a fair amount of research and went over the samples carefully; here are my conclusions, for what it's worth:

- Sonlight 530

Breadth without depth or help. Lots of books, little background information; no real guided teaching or questions in literary analysis and discussion; a few writing assignments. In my opinion, this looks like it would be very difficult for a student to do solo, especially if the need is for a "just get 'er done" Lit. program for a science/math oriented student, and a parent would need to do quite a bit of research and pulling in additional materials to help guide the student into making meaningful connections with the materials.

- Excellence in Literature - British Lit

Fewer works than SL allows for more focus. Not much more background info than SL. Includes a resource list of articles and books you can read "for context" to understand the author/times -- this knocked EiL out of the running for me; that is what I buy a program for, is the author is GIVING me an article or chapter with this compiled info! Includes good questions of "what to look for/think about as your read" to help guide in advance the student's focus, but there is no information or guided discussion on literary elements and analysis of the work. One longer essay assignment per unit, with a grading rubric. My opinion: not enough guidance and information for a student to do this one solo, and as a parent, I would definitely be looking for supplemental materials to specifically help with analysis, discussion, and understanding of what's going on in the work.

- Lightning Lit - British Lit

Fewer works than SL allows for more focus. Has more background information than SL or EiL. Includes: brief background on author; lots of comprehension (but few discussion) questions; key vocabulary words are defined; multi-page article discussing a specific literary element in the work; choice of writing assignments at the end -- some are below real high school writing/literary analysis essay level. In my opinion, a student could definitely do this program solo; however, the program seems "lite" to me -- only exposing the student to the Literature, but not guiding the student into deeper understanding. If it were me, I would be looking for supplemental materials.

Other British Lit. options:

LLATL: Gold: British Lit

Designed to be done solo by the student. It is quite "lite", with just a paragraph or two of background info, a handful of comprehension questions, maybe a few discussion questions, and then some exercises and writing assignments. No real information to help you get any depth. While the poetry section was helpful as a "beginning step" into poetry, there's just not any "meat".

Bob Jones University Press: British Lit (grade 12)

Wow! LOADS o' historical background material in the TM. However, not a program the student could use solo; uses excerpts rather than complete works; and is largely focused on poetry. NONE of the classic novels.

I know this was NOT on your short list of options, so feel free to chuck this idea, BUT... You know what I would suggest for a 10th grade DS who is into History and Science? Either:

1. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, and add a few individual lit. guides to go with the optional supplemental works of literature. LLftLotR can be done solo by the student. The writing assignments are suggestions, not required, so if you want to focus on writing longer research papers and lab reports in the History and Science areas, you could do that. The program covers:

- the 3 books of the Lord of the Rings trilogy

- 2 units analyze sections of Beowulf (I highly recommend reading the whole work)

- 1 unit analyzes sections of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (I highly recommend reading the whole work)

- 1 unit analyzes poetry by Tolkien

And you could add one of the two Shakespeare plays that are mentioned in the LLftLotR guide as having an influence on LotR -- Macbeth, or Midsummer Night's Dream

OR

2. You and DS pick your own works and use meaty individual lit. guides to go with each. DS would be able to go with works that fit his interests, and fit in especially well with his History interest. Should you want to go that route, I can give you some suggested titles. :)

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

One more suggestion: English Literature with World Masterpieces from MacMillan. This is a textbook and the longer pieces are excerpted, but it does include in-depth questions, literary terminology, background and biographies, vocab, etc, ad covers British Lit from Old English to the 20th C. (at least, my 1991 edition does; a more recent edition may cover more). Used copies are available online; I have the teacher's edition. You would need to cover some complete works apart from the textbook, but you can always google online for study guides (including SparkNotes) for those.

I'm looking for input on Brit Lit curricula for my rising 10th grader. I've narrowed it down to: Excellence in Literature, Lightning Lit, or Sonlight Core 530.

My son loves history and science, and wants to major in computer science in college. He is a voracious reader, but hates to write. Any suggestions as to which of these curricula might be the best fit for him?

I like Adventures in English Literature, part of the Adventures in Literature series that was published by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. I prefer the editions that are before the 1990s. (Classic, Heritage, Pegasus, and Cardinal Newman editions are some that I've picked up. The Athena edition is one that I don't care for.)

I've been picking up used texts and teacher manuals (some from used book stores, others from Amazon or Paperback Swap). I don't have the TM for this volume yet, but the TM I have for the Adventures in Reading title has between a page and several pages on each work. It includes answers to the discussion questions that were in the student book and an introduction to the selection. It doesn't contain much biographical info on the author.

I did find a nice syllabus for a course using this book. And many if not most of the works would be available online as well.

Does anyone else have an opinion for me?

Actually, if you're looking for an online option, I was very impressed by the quality of education offered by Dr. McMenomy of Scholars Online's Brit Lit class. It's primarily literature-based (little writing, lots of reading), and Dr. McM sets the lit in historical context. Awesome job.

Susan, is there any way to see samples anywhere?? Thanks! :)

No. But the books are very inexpensive. Student and Teachers Editions (just like student book, only wider w/notes) cost me about $20 for both (used) including shipping. There are a lot of selections in them, and very good commentary about each time period, and much more that has helped us in our literature study.

If I were you, I would consider decoupling the literature and writing. If your student "hates to write" he might benefit from a writing curriculum that is instructional, rather than writing that is an extension of a lit class. :) If you have a student who is heading toward computer science, I would include a writing balance weighted more to non-fiction than fiction--because writing about non-fiction topics is what he will likely encounter the most in college.

Edited by Brigid in NC

If I were you, I would consider decoupling the literature and writing. If your student "hates to write" he might benefit from a writing curriculum that is instructional, rather than writing that is an extension of a lit class. :) If you have a student who is heading toward computer science, I would include a writing balance weighted more to non-fiction than fiction--because writing about non-fiction topics is what he will likely encounter the most in college.

I agree. He will actually be taking a writing class from Laurel Tree Tutorials this fall. :001_smile:

Actually, if you're looking for an online option, I was very impressed by the quality of education offered by Dr. McMenomy of Scholars Online's Brit Lit class. It's primarily literature-based (little writing, lots of reading), and Dr. McM sets the lit in historical context. Awesome job.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at their web site, and it looks like the class is based on a literature textbook. Did the students read entire works, or just excerpts?

Of the 3 choices you listed, while I did not use any of them, I did do a fair amount of research and went over the samples carefully; here are my conclusions, for what it's worth:

- Sonlight 530

Breadth without depth or help. Lots of books, little background information; no real guided teaching or questions in literary analysis and discussion; a few writing assignments. In my opinion, this looks like it would be very difficult for a student to do solo, especially if the need is for a "just get 'er done" Lit. program for a science/math oriented student, and a parent would need to do quite a bit of research and pulling in additional materials to help guide the student into making meaningful connections with the

D.

My 10th grade ds is using the SL 530 program and I can say that this review is not accurate. There is background info for each novel read, as well as for each time period. There are lit analysis questions in addition to a tremendous amount of other comprehension questions. Also many, many writing assignments based on the books and the college level poetry analysis book used. This is a VERY challenging and intense program! My dd used the Winterpromise Brit Lit program, which she LOVED, but not even close to the breadth and depth of the SL program.

I just answered this question for myself, and I settled on the Brit Lit guide from Classical Conversations. If you haven't checked that out, you might want to.

Thanks! I'll take a look at it. Classical Conversations is actually going to be at the convention I'm going to in a few weeks (Cincinnati). I wonder if they will have a copy in their booth?

Thanks! I'll take a look at it. Classical Conversations is actually going to be at the convention I'm going to in a few weeks (Cincinnati). I wonder if they will have a copy in their booth?

That's actually how I found it! It reads a number of the same books as Sonlight, but I liked the questions a bit better, and the price a lot better. I was also looking for something that read the full novels...

My 10th grade ds is using the SL 530 program and I can say that this review is not accurate. There is background info for each novel read, as well as for each time period. There are lit analysis questions in addition to a tremendous amount of other comprehension questions. Also many, many writing assignments based on the books and the college level poetry analysis book used. This is a VERY challenging and intense program! My dd used the Winterpromise Brit Lit program, which she LOVED, but not even close to the breadth and depth of the SL program.

Didn't Sonlight recently revise their high school cores? I wonder if Lori was familiar with an older version, and you have the newest one? How has the work load been for your son? I've looked at the Schedule for Topics and Skills, and I know some of the books have to be read in a week or week and a half. I thought that pace might be too fast for my son - not because of his reading skills, but because of demands from other courses and extra-curriculars. I suppose I could always tweak it to fit, but I would rather not have to do that.

Didn't Sonlight recently revise their high school cores? I wonder if Lori was familiar with an older version, and you have the newest one? How has the work load been for your son? I've looked at the Schedule for Topics and Skills, and I know some of the books have to be read in a week or week and a half. I thought that pace might be too fast for my son - not because of his reading skills, but because of demands from other courses and extra-curriculars. I suppose I could always tweak it to fit, but I would rather not have to do that.

Yes, I am using the newer format SL IG---I would never have attempted it otherwise! We are not using the poetry book and I'm also not using the writing portion. Ds is just reading the lit as scheduled and we discuss it. It's a LOT of work!! He has a lighter history schedule this year, so he is able to keep up on the reading, although he complains a LOT! The lit really is scheduled at quite a brisk pace.

I'll give the process that I went through with picking our British Literature (and other literature), please do feel free to do what you wish in your homeschool.

I looked at samples of Excellence in Literature (I haven't seen your other options). One problem with it (for us) was that there is a lot of research required to do this program. That is not bad, but there are only so many hours in a day and so many days in a school year. Typically a literature teacher would provide this, or a textbook would. Also, every time you don't know how to write a type of paper, then you have to find another resource. Time period and author information, find another resource. My dc would end up not doing curriculum like this, they had other subjects needing attention, and didn't have time to do all the leg work. That is why finding a very well put together and thorough text helps so much. Its all there. You can break away and read a whole book if you wish, but if you read too many whole books, then you will miss entire time periods. A high school British literature book is a survey of pieces in all time periods with accompanying history and author biographies. Also, there should be pieces on how the English language evolved, what time periods brought about what types of writing (essays, biographies, different types of poetry, etc.). Just reading books you will miss all of this, and for me, it is the glue that holds it together.

I'll give the process that I went through with picking our British Literature (and other literature), please do feel free to do what you wish in your homeschool.

I looked at samples of Excellence in Literature (I haven't seen your other options). One problem with it (for us) was that there is a lot of research required to do this program. That is not bad, but there are only so many hours in a day and so many days in a school year. Typically a literature teacher would provide this, or a textbook would. Also, every time you don't know how to write a type of paper, then you have to find another resource. Time period and author information, find another resource. My dc would end up not doing curriculum like this, they had other subjects needing attention, and didn't have time to do all the leg work. That is why finding a very well put together and thorough text helps so much. Its all there. You can break away and read a whole book if you wish, but if you read too many whole books, then you will miss entire time periods. A high school British literature book is a survey of pieces in all time periods with accompanying history and author biographies. Also, there should be pieces on how the English language evolved, what time periods brought about what types of writing (essays, biographies, different types of poetry, etc.). Just reading books you will miss all of this, and for me, it is the glue that holds it together.

That's exactly where something like the textbook I mentioned earlier in this thread (MacMillan's English Lit with World Masterpieces) comes in handy--it includes background info, bios, etc, along with mumerous short prose pieces and poetry; and although the longer pieces are excerpted, you can decide instead to read a copy of the entire novel or play while still taking advantage of the information in the text. Yes, there are no doubt innumerable websites out there from which one can cull all sorts of information about a text or author or historical period, but the operative word there is "innumerable," an adjective which indeed does not apply to the hours in a given day!

I've been looking at samples of Excellence in Literature today too. I didn't think it looked like too much research required. Yes, there was background reading to go along with the novel being studied and essays to write, but you have four weeks to read each novel and do the research and write the essay. It looked very reasonable to me. Before beginning, I was planning to cover The Elegant Essay to learn essay writing and all or part of Windows to the World to learn more about how to write a literary essay. So when we begin, he should be ready to write this sort of essay. It looks like great prep for college coursework and supposedly helps prepare them for the AP/CLEP exams.

I think we're going to give it a try. We got into this about a year later than I would prefer, so he'll be doing EE and WTW for 10th and then begin EiL as soon as he's done with those. I'm probably going to get the big binder that has all of the units in it because there may be a few books in Amer. Lit. and Brit. Lit. that we will skip in favor of getting to a few of the books in Euro. Lit.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at their web site, and it looks like the class is based on a literature textbook. Did the students read entire works, or just excerpts?

They read the. entire. textbook. The whole thing. In addition, they read several Shakespeare plays and at least 1-2 full novels.

Have you looked at samples for each? Just what I could find online.

How much depth do you want? I want him to be well prepared for college.

How independently will DS be working -- or will you be doing it along with him? He will be working fairly independently.

Do you want something that is complete and needs no supplement, or do you plan on supplementing? Complete. I do not want to supplement.

- Sonlight 530

Breadth without depth or help. Lots of books, little background information; no real guided teaching or questions in literary analysis and discussion; a few writing assignments. In my opinion, this looks like it would be very difficult for a student to do solo, especially if the need is for a "just get 'er done" Lit. program for a science/math oriented student, and a parent would need to do quite a bit of research and pulling in additional materials to help guide the student into making meaningful connections with the materials.

- Excellence in Literature - British Lit

Fewer works than SL allows for more focus. Not much more background info than SL. Includes a resource list of articles and books you can read "for context" to understand the author/times -- this knocked EiL out of the running for me; that is what I buy a program for, is the author is GIVING me an article or chapter with this compiled info! Includes good questions of "what to look for/think about as your read" to help guide in advance the student's focus, but there is no information or guided discussion on literary elements and analysis of the work. One longer essay assignment per unit, with a grading rubric. My opinion: not enough guidance and information for a student to do this one solo, and as a parent, I would definitely be looking for supplemental materials to specifically help with analysis, discussion, and understanding of what's going on in the work.

- Lightning Lit - British Lit

Fewer works than SL allows for more focus. Has more background information than SL or EiL. Includes: brief background on author; lots of comprehension (but few discussion) questions; key vocabulary words are defined; multi-page article discussing a specific literary element in the work; choice of writing assignments at the end -- some are below real high school writing/literary analysis essay level. In my opinion, a student could definitely do this program solo; however, the program seems "lite" to me -- only exposing the student to the Literature, but not guiding the student into deeper understanding. If it were me, I would be looking for supplemental materials.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impressions of these curricula. Your comments have been really helpful.

I know this was NOT on your short list of options, so feel free to chuck this idea, BUT... You know what I would suggest for a 10th grade DS who is into History and Science? Either:

1. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. Ds and I had already discussed this option. He does not want to do LLftLotR because he really loves the books, and thinks that using this curriculum might kill that love.

OR

2. You and DS pick your own works and use meaty individual lit. guides to go with each. DS would be able to go with works that fit his interests, and fit in especially well with his History interest. Should you want to go that route, I can give you some suggested titles. :) I really think that we need to use a curriculum that is already pulled together for us, and has a weekly schedule, or literature may fall by the wayside next year.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

:001_smile:

I've been looking at samples of Excellence in Literature today too. I didn't think it looked like too much research required. Yes, there was background reading to go along with the novel being studied and essays to write, but you have four weeks to read each novel and do the research and write the essay. It looked very reasonable to me. Before beginning, I was planning to cover The Elegant Essay to learn essay writing and all or part of Windows to the World to learn more about how to write a literary essay. So when we begin, he should be ready to write this sort of essay. It looks like great prep for college coursework and supposedly helps prepare them for the AP/CLEP exams.

I think we're going to give it a try. We got into this about a year later than I would prefer, so he'll be doing EE and WTW for 10th and then begin EiL as soon as he's done with those. I'm probably going to get the big binder that has all of the units in it because there may be a few books in Amer. Lit. and Brit. Lit. that we will skip in favor of getting to a few of the books in Euro. Lit.

I have purchased EIL to use for next year. I don't really understand what people are talking about with the research. I've read about 3 of the chapters, not just the sample. There are links, but most of them go to her site and are short one page reads that HAVE pulled together the research. She is just using links instead of printing it all in the user guide. Ds will use it on his laptop or iPad, we prefer pdfs to print curriculum here, so links just mean click, read, click back. It is all there. It was one of the things I liked about EIL.

My son also has a science/math brain. We did Sonlight's Brit Lit last year in 12th grade. We tweaked the program a bit, to make it lighter on the writing assignments, as his school year was quite full. He did read all of the books, and we had some amazing discussions! Last summer he studied for, and passed the CLEP exam called "Analyzing and Interpreting Literature" as well as the CLEP "English Literature." Bam. 6 college credits earned! I give full credit to his analytical mind and the Sonlight program. If you wanted to use Sonlight Core 530 and help him get college credit, go for the CLEP English Lit exam.

My daughter will be doing Lightning Lit, Early Brit Lit next year. I have the books and the teachers guide already. I like the look of it for her - lighter on the reading, more in-depth literary guidance. She is the type of student who will forget what she did in school the previous day, if it's not something that interests her. Sigh ....

Just wanted to mention Melodee Mattson of Captive Thought Tutorials. DD loves her British literature class. Miss Mattson is a fantastic teacher. She keeps all of her students engaged with lively weekly discussions. She also assigns writing projects, but I don't think they would be too much in addition to the Laurel Tree composition assignments (dd took that class last year).

Here's a link with the reading list for British Literature:

http://www.captivethoughttutorials.com/british-literature/

Dd was eager to register for American Lit with Miss Mattson next year. My son is already registered for both Intro to Lit with Miss Mattson and Intro to Comp with Mrs. Randolph of Laurel Tree Tutorials.

Just wanted to mention Melodee Mattson of Captive Thought Tutorials. DD loves her British literature class.

Thanks for the suggesting this class. Unfortunately, it will be held on Thursday afternoons, and we have a conflicting commitment.

Yes, I am using the newer format SL IG---I would never have attempted it otherwise! We are not using the poetry book and I'm also not using the writing portion. Ds is just reading the lit as scheduled and we discuss it. It's a LOT of work!! He has a lighter history schedule this year, so he is able to keep up on the reading, although he complains a LOT! The lit really is scheduled at quite a brisk pace.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I really do think this would probably be too much for my ds next year, unless I did a lot of tweaking.