Menu

This odd weather and depression

I'm starting to wonder if there is a link between this unseasonably warm weather and depression. At face value you would think that this early springlike weather would lift people's spirits. I have heard of soooo many people that are struggling with extreme depression. I too have been more depressed lately than normal.

I am wondering if our bodies weren't prepared for such a drastic weather change. Or maybe mentally not prepared.

Just musing here but, what do you all think?

Interesting.

I'm suffering too. I hadn't had a problem with depression in a good while. I mean, a gray day sluggish feel, sure, but this all over 'blech' feeling..no, not in a good long while.

But I've been feeling rather crummy lately.

Well, I know that the previous two winters, I struggled HORRIBLY with depression. Finally, before this winter hit, I went to the dr and had my vitamin D level checked. It was low. I started on a high does of supplements, and woo hoo! No depression this winter.

So it could just be a coincidence; a winter with low vitamin D, and now it's sort of at the 'critical' point, if that makes sense.

I gotta tell you, I didn't really think that 'just' having low vitamin D could make me feel THAT bad. I'd never had depression before in my life, and it was VERY scary. I kinda thought I was going crazy. I'd wake up in the morning, and the first thing I thought was that I just wanted to die. And I'm not being melodramatic; I literally wanted to not live anymore. It was frightening. And I have a good life, and I know it. No 'reason' to be depressed. Getting my vitamin D level up has eliminated it completely.

So I encourage EVERYONE who is struggling, especially in the winter, with depression to have theirs checked. Such a small, simple change, but what a difference it has made in my quality of life.

Well, I know that the previous two winters, I struggled HORRIBLY with depression. Finally, before this winter hit, I went to the dr and had my vitamin D level checked. It was low. I started on a high does of supplements, and woo hoo! No depression this winter.

So it could just be a coincidence; a winter with low vitamin D, and now it's sort of at the 'critical' point, if that makes sense.

I gotta tell you, I didn't really think that 'just' having low vitamin D could make me feel THAT bad. I'd never had depression before in my life, and it was VERY scary. I kinda thought I was going crazy. I'd wake up in the morning, and the first thing I thought was that I just wanted to die. And I'm not being melodramatic; I literally wanted to not live anymore. It was frightening. And I have a good life, and I know it. No 'reason' to be depressed. Getting my vitamin D level up has eliminated it completely.

So I encourage EVERYONE who is struggling, especially in the winter, with depression to have theirs checked. Such a small, simple change, but what a difference it has made in my quality of life.

I think I saw a previous thread where you and a few others talked about this. I do want to get it checked. Just have to make the time to do it.

I just have heard soooo many people come out and talk about their horrible depression lately and wonder if there is some connection with the weather. Could just be a coincidence but I thought it was interesting that it is coinciding with this bizarre weather.

I think I saw a previous thread where you and a few others talked about this. I do want to get it checked. Just have to make the time to do it.

I just have heard soooo many people come out and talk about their horrible depression lately and wonder if there is some connection with the weather. Could just be a coincidence but I thought it was interesting that it is coinciding with this bizarre weather.

This is what a local radio show was discussing yesterday on the radio. They were talking about the weather and moods. I have noticed that people have been a lot moodier lately. I do have to wonder if the instant warm up instead of gradual is making people not enjoy life right now.

This is what a local radio show was discussing yesterday on the radio. They were talking about the weather and moods. I have noticed that people have been a lot moodier lately. I do have to wonder if the instant warm up instead of gradual is making people not enjoy life right now.

I wonder too. It's interesting to me, because when the weather first started getting really nice I loved it. Then I got into a big funk.

Me too. All of it.

It has been BEAUTIFUL here, but I've been struggling too. I just recently cut out all dairy because of my allergies, and noticed when I did, my mood went south. This makes me think I'm horribly Vit D deficient. Are there any supplements you would recommend?

I also wonder if it has to do with the current economic climate in our country, and the rising prices nationwide. The news has done stories about depression being on the rise, and it just makes you think.

:grouphug: and Blessings to everyone else feeling the blues.

Dorinda

I have been feeling it, too!

I think pollen/allergies are causing some of it.

I also think that part of it is that it FEELS like summer, but it isn't. So it's warm and nice which normally means relaxing, taking the kids to the pool or the lake to swim, but the pool isn't open and the lake is COLD. And we have schoolwork to do and all of the normal spring extracurriculars, not really relaxing.

Even the food we're eating is irritating me. I want to be eating grilled garden veggies, big summer salads, etc. But it is only March and we aren't even supposed to plant our garden until May (although we have been getting tons of asparagus already)! I want to go to the farmers market and get local corn on the cob and watermelon and have a cookout, but the farmers market won't be open for at least another month.

Also, "spring forward" always messes with me. I wake up "later", get dinner on the table later, stay up later.

Yep, I'm in a funk, too.