Menu

Is 500-700 euros a day a good budget for a major European city?

We went to Rome and spent less than 1000 euros for 5 days (iirc we spent waaay less than 1000). We bought the Roma pass, which I recommend, and we ate a lot of panini on the run.

eta: our airfare and hotel were 1200 euro combined but we flew from within Europe. We are a family of four.

Umm, 500 to 700 euros is about $750 to $1000. Are you including airfare in your calculations? If not, that's an extremely generous budget.

If you're willing to live low on the hog, I'm sure you could get it down to $100 per person, probably less if you buy food in supermarkets instead of restaurants. A very handy guide to budget travel is Let's Go. I'm pretty sure they have a Rome guide, if not check out the Italy guide.

You can never go wrong looking at Rome. Incredible city.

You can do Rome quite well for that amount, even including lodging and car, I think. Italy is expensive, but oh so worth it.

Check out Rick Steves guides to Rome for a more up to date idea on costs. You could even check out his website's gaffiti wall for more information.

Have gelato as often as possible. :D