Menu

What to pay a babysitter?

We've always traded with family on the occasions when we needed a babysitter, but our go-to person has gone through some life changes and is no longer available. I'm starting to search for a trustworthy teen to watch my boys on a very occasional basis (e.g., when we're invited to a wedding, etc.) in my home. Problem is that I have absolutely no clue what the going rate is for babysitting. What pay rate should I offer?

I just joined care.com to find a sitter because we don't have family in the area to help anymore.

I am mostly looking for adult aged sitters, so my range is 10-15/hr. I pay toward the top of that range if they have experience, and or things like cpr or first-aid certification or training. I have three kids, which is why my range may be a bit higher.

Here's the crazy thing... that means that babysitting makes as much $$$ as me if I went to work... half of what most average adults make in an hour... and then of course it's all without taxes. My 16 year old was making $8. an hour credit bartering for the woman who cut her hair. That seems like a more than enough amount to me. I mean... makes me want to put my name out to babysit.

One thing to consider is a baby sitter also has to drive to your home and back for maybe just a few hours of work. To me, that also kind of factors in. I wouldn't want to drive 10-15 mins each direction to baby sit for 2-3 hours and make under $10 an hour, especially with climbing gas prices. I'm sure this is also a regional issue and it probably also depends on how close your babysitter is to where you live.

Edited by Momof3littles

Here's the crazy thing... that means that babysitting makes as much $$$ as me if I went to work... half of what most average adults make in an hour... and then of course it's all without taxes. My 16 year old was making $8. an hour credit bartering for the woman who cut her hair. That seems like a more than enough amount to me. I mean... makes me want to put my name out to babysit.

But 'real' jobs typically come with some sort of benefits - some sort of insurance - even if you have to pay for a chunk of it, vacation days, retirement plan availability etc. At my husband's work, if they offer someone a salary of $70,000 a year, the employment package will actually be $100,000 a year when disability insurance, health insurance(the company pays about 1/3 of it for each employee), dental insurance, vacation plans and retirement plans are factored in.

But 'real' jobs typically come with some sort of benefits - some sort of insurance - even if you have to pay for a chunk of it, vacation days, retirement plan availability etc. At my husband's work, if they offer someone a salary of $70,000 a year, the employment package will actually be $100,000 a year when disability insurance, health insurance(the company pays about 1/3 of it for each employee), dental insurance, vacation plans and retirement plans are factored in.

I guess I'm thinking that most of these babysitters are teens who have health and such through parents. I'm not adding in anyone who thinks of this as their full time job :)

Teens around here seem to charge about $5, but most of them can't handle my three littles. I have one (now in college) who can, and we pay her more like $8, even though she technically charges $5/hr. I now have an awesome adult sitter who has experience with multiple small children and is amazing with them. She charges $10/hr, which is high for the area, but she is worth every penny.