Menu

Media Mail 13 oz rule: Per Package or Total?

I went to get my mail today and found a note telling me that they cannot pick up stamped mail that might be over 13 oz. With the command 'Please Take These to Post Office'

I sweetly responded: I am sooo sorry! I thought the 13 oz rule was per package, not the TOTAL weight of the mail. The packages, individually are not over 13 oz. (listed individual weights).

Was my mailman just being nice, before, or is it TOTAL weight? This move, along with the recent increase in rates will probably shut down my paperback swap account.

He's been a mail carrier for some 30+ years though, and always tells me very sweetly that he believes in "flexibility" for "established" customers. He picks up anything from me (no weight limit), but has asked that I limit it to one package a day so that he doesn't get in trouble. He'll take two Packback swap packages if I'm in a pinch, but he said to try avoid that.

We'll be VERY sad when he retires, although we like his substitute as well. His sub told me that the regular guy told him the "deal" we have. ;)

I wonder if it's a real rule, or just the carriers' interpretations? I always have read (and thought) that it was per package and only applied if you used stamps and not electronic postage. I use Paypal shipping for my PBS books, and have never had an issue with any size package going out. Stamps.com page I found searching says it's just for stamped mail:

http://blog.stamps.com/2011/03/15/usps-13-ounce-mail-rule/

It's a real rule, but it is 13 ounces per mailpiece, not total. And it applies only if you're using postage stamps rather than printed postage.

Not only is the letter carrier not allowed to accept mailpieces over 13 ounces, but you can't even drop them in a collection box. (If you do, the USPS returns them to you.) They must be physically handed to a USPS counter employee at a branch office.

The easy answer is to create an account with the USPS and use Click-and-Ship to print postage labels.

It's a real rule, but it is 13 ounces per mailpiece, not total. And it applies only if you're using postage stamps rather than printed postage.

Not only is the letter carrier not allowed to accept mailpieces over 13 ounces, but you can't even drop them in a collection box. (If you do, the USPS returns them to you.) They must be physically handed to a USPS counter employee at a branch office.

The easy answer is to create an account with the USPS and use Click-and-Ship to print postage labels.

:iagree: You can use PayPal multiorder shipping too even if the item was not paid for through Paypal. I print labels for everything through there to avoid going to the PO. ;)

I wonder if part of the difference in whether or not they pick it up is if they are in a mail truck or on foot. Our mailman is on foot and I know that if he has to deliver packages, he does those separately. It's just too much for him to carry more than the smallest of packages.

I wonder if part of the difference in whether or not they pick it up is if they are in a mail truck or on foot. Our mailman is on foot and I know that if he has to deliver packages, he does those separately. It's just too much for him to carry more than the smallest of packages.

It doesn't matter if they're on foot or in a truck; they have to pick up any mail that meets their specifications. The only factor that affects the 13-ounce limit is the type of postage used. If you use stamps, 13 ounces is the absolute limit; anything over that has to be taken to a post office for mailing. If you use machine-generated postage, the only weight limit per mailing piece is the limit for that class of mail and type of package. (For example, I mail packages in USPS Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Boxes. The limit for those is 70 pounds each. I also use USPS Priority Mail Large Regional-Rate Boxes. The limit for those is 20 pounds each.)

The USPS does request (but not require) that you notify them if you have a large amount of mail to be picked up. For example, if I had 100 of those boxes to be picked up, USPS appreciates being notified a day ahead of time, if only so that they can show up in a large truck. But if I don't notify them and the mailman shows up at my door to find 100 boxes awaiting shipment, he still has to pick them up, even if that means calling in a request for a large truck and another USPS employee to come and help him.

But if I don't notify them and the mailman shows up at my door to find 100 boxes awaiting shipment, he still has to pick them up, even if that means calling in a request for a large truck and another USPS employee to come and help him.

I do think it depends on the carrier, though, how willing they are to actually do what they are supposed to do. I've had issues here with my carrier (truck route) strapping packages too large for the mailbox, onto the outside of the mailbox with rubberbands. . .I put a note inside requesting that packages too big be brought to the porch and left, which didn't work, until I got people higher up involved. And even then, I got a not-so-nice call from the local postmaster (or someone at the post office here) that wasn't pleased about me requesting my mail not be strapped to the outside of the box, out in the weather - that they didn't have time to be bringing stuff to the door and waiting for me to answer (and I'd watched the rubberband thing - it took longer than walking the package to the door). I didn't want them to wait, just put the package on the porch.

My packages are left on the porch now, but it took quite a bit of effort on my part to get it done.

I do think it depends on the carrier, though, how willing they are to actually do what they are supposed to do. I've had issues here with my carrier (truck route) strapping packages too large for the mailbox, onto the outside of the mailbox with rubberbands. . .I put a note inside requesting that packages too big be brought to the porch and left, which didn't work, until I got people higher up involved. And even then, I got a not-so-nice call from the local postmaster (or someone at the post office here) that wasn't pleased about me requesting my mail not be strapped to the outside of the box, out in the weather - that they didn't have time to be bringing stuff to the door and waiting for me to answer (and I'd watched the rubberband thing - it took longer than walking the package to the door). I didn't want them to wait, just put the package on the porch.

My packages are left on the porch now, but it took quite a bit of effort on my part to get it done.

I'm surprised they agreed to do it. My understanding is that if you have a mailbox on the street/road, the mail carrier is not obligated to carry any mail to your house, including packages. But I could be wrong about that. It may be that they're obligated to carry mail too large to fit into the box.

A lot depends on your particular mail carrier and your particular local post office. Most of them, in my experience, are pretty reasonable people, but some insist on nitpicking the rules.

I work at home, and I've always tried to keep on good terms with the USPS. Little things count, like offering the mail carrier ice or a cold drink on hot days and tea or coffee on frigid days. Years ago, we were under a tornado warning and a tornado had touched down not far from us. I was just heading for the basement when the mail truck showed up. I invited the mail carrier to take shelter in our basement, and she said she wasn't supposed to do that. "Are you nuts?" I asked her, "Aren't you allowed to take breaks?"

I'm surprised they agreed to do it. My understanding is that if you have a mailbox on the street/road, the mail carrier is not obligated to carry any mail to your house, including packages. But I could be wrong about that. It may be that they're obligated to carry mail too large to fit into the box.

Well, I went with information I got from my uncle, who is postmaster in another state. He always had a big wooden box on the porch for mail packages that wouldn't fit in the mailbox, and that's what he told me (that packages weren't supposed to be left out in the elements, or right in sight where someone might take them). And maybe that was all *his* interpretation of the rules, but the woman I spoke to in USPS corporate agreed with me and my request, and was appalled that the packages were being rubberbanded to the mailbox.

A lot depends on your particular mail carrier and your particular local post office. Most of them, in my experience, are pretty reasonable people, but some insist on nitpicking the rules.

I work at home, and I've always tried to keep on good terms with the USPS. Little things count, like offering the mail carrier ice or a cold drink on hot days and tea or coffee on frigid days. Years ago, we were under a tornado warning and a tornado had touched down not far from us. I was just heading for the basement when the mail truck showed up. I invited the mail carrier to take shelter in our basement, and she said she wasn't supposed to do that. "Are you nuts?" I asked her, "Aren't you allowed to take breaks?"

They have to attempt delivery, and for packages that means getting out of the vehicle and walking them to the door (I believe the only time this may not apply is if you're very rural and have a super duper long gravel driveway or something like that)

Now if you regularly get a lot of packages too large to fit in your box they can request that put up a larger more appropriately sized box, but usually they mean if you get packages too big for your current box daily or more days a week than not. Due to me ordering a lot of books/curricula that is magazine size and I don't want it bent to put in the box, I bought a box that allows things like this to lay flat on the bottom.

My mom's been with the PO for 30+ years, and has always encouraged me to complain when things are done wrong. I had a mail carrier once come to the door telling me he couldn't take the packages I left unless I paid him $14.95 per package. Yes this was a rule about 15 years ago and only for businesses that called the PO that morning requesting they send out a truck to pick up a large amount of packages that they hadn't scheduled a pick up for. You bet I complained and went as high up the chain as I needed to until this was resolved. That carrier was mad that he got a talking to when he returned that day, but then had the nerve to come back and yell at me about it. Yep, you guessed it I complained about him again. Luckily he's only a sub on my route, but when he is I always get a dirty look but he doesn't speak to me at all anymore.

Oh and to the OP it is a per mail piece not total rule, also it doesn't apply if you use internet printable postage, only if you use a bunch of actual stamps, which is why I use paypal's multi-order shipping like other posters suggested.

Now if you regularly get a lot of packages too large to fit in your box they can request that put up a larger more appropriately sized box, but usually they mean if you get packages too big for your current box daily or more days a week than not. Due to me ordering a lot of books/curricula that is magazine size and I don't want it bent to put in the box, I bought a box that allows things like this to lay flat on the bottom.

And I bought the biggest, standard type mailbox I could find to try to minimize the trouble for my carrier.

:iagree: Or you can print mailing labels with postage through PayPal. That's what I do.

These are media mail. I know I can't print shipping labels through the USPS site for media mail. Can I do that through paypal somehow? I wonder if PBS mailing labels count for pre-printed.

He didn't answer my note. I'll be trying some more packages in a few days. I'm also going through my PBS shelf and pulling all books that weigh over 13 oz. I know I can still get bulk requests, but those happen less frequent.

These are media mail. I know I can't print shipping labels through the USPS site for media mail. Can I do that through paypal somehow? I wonder if PBS mailing labels count for pre-printed.

He didn't answer my note. I'll be trying some more packages in a few days. I'm also going through my PBS shelf and pulling all books that weigh over 13 oz. I know I can still get bulk requests, but those happen less frequent.

You can print through Paypal via this link:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

It lets you print Priority, First Class, Media, etc., and they do count as pre-printed because they can be traced back electronically to the sender.

When you log in to paypal on the side of the page (right side) there will be a place that say launch multi-order shipping. You can do any label you want from there. You can do media mail, first class, priority, express, you name it and it will put Delivery confirmation on everything automatically for $0.19. Just click on Create and you'll get a pop up to put in the info for your first thing. You can then create a whole bunch more and you're all set. The money will come out of your paypal account or whatever account you have linked to it.

I like that I can put in all the labels and then hit "Pay and Print" once and they all come out.

You could also use the printable postage on PBS, but they charge you $0.43 per label for to do that.

Either option, paypal or PBS labels, count as electronically printed postage and not as stamps so you'd not have to worry about the 13 oz rule, which is in effect for any type of package with stamps, not just media mail.

They have to attempt delivery, and for packages that means getting out of the vehicle and walking them to the door (I believe the only time this may not apply is if you're very rural and have a super duper long gravel driveway or something like that)

This is not true. Sub drivers for my route, will not attempt delivery. They just leave a note in the box saying I have something to pick up at the Post Office. I asked about it, because the note said they I was not available for delivery, which wan't true because I was home all day. I was told they don't have to leave package if they don't want to. We have a group box set up, and apparently all the large package boxes were full or broken. My regular carrier will however, ring the bell and leave it on the porch.

This is not true. Sub drivers for my route, will not attempt delivery. They just leave a note in the box saying I have something to pick up at the Post Office. I asked about it, because the note said they I was not available for delivery, which wan't true because I was home all day. I was told they don't have to leave package if they don't want to. We have a group box set up, and apparently all the large package boxes were full or broken. My regular carrier will however, ring the bell and leave it on the porch.

Then that has to do with them having the package boxes, that is another exception. If all you have are the small boxes (like in an apartment) then they should attempt delivery, but because you have package boxes there they can use those. Now if there is an issue because they are broken you need to talk to the person responsible for installing the boxes, because they need to be fixed.

When we lived in Navy housing we had some package boxes near our mailbox hut, but if the box was too big to fit he had to come to our door to attempt delivery. If your PO is telling you different I'd complain higher up the chain. I complained once because the apartments we lived in didn't have large package boxes and the carrier wouldn't even check if we were home she'd just take them all to the office. That was a big no-no and she was forced to change her ways.

Also being it's a sub situation, that could be because they are not familiar with the route (not the normal sub) or they are pivoting to help cover someone else's route and therefore pressed for time and just don't want to do the job the way they are supposed to.