Menu

Can I use this yet (Chicken broth)

My vote is no. The stuff is old (it IS a meat product -- and when your kids do science at home and grow microbes what do they grow it on? chicken broth of course!) and it's cheap to replace. Then again, I'm the germophobe who probably wouldn't want to use it 7 days post-opening.

What bugs me:

1) Chicken broth is an excellent medium for bacterial growth.

2) The frig slows down but doesn't stop bacterial growth (that requires a freezer)

3) Boiling the broth would kill any bacteria but will not destroy disease-causing toxins (and that's the problem).

Remember that bacteria can multiply in 20 minutes, as long as there is food for them -- and broth has plenty.

My vote is no. The stuff is old (it IS a meat product -- and when your kids do science at home and grow microbes what do they grow it on? chicken broth of course!) and it's cheap to replace. Then again, I'm the germophobe who probably wouldn't want to use it 7 days post-opening.

What bugs me:

1) Chicken broth is an excellent medium for bacterial growth.

2) The frig slows down but doesn't stop bacterial growth (that requires a freezer)

3) Boiling the broth would kill any bacteria but will not destroy disease-causing toxins (and that's the problem).

Remember that bacteria can multiply in 20 minutes, as long as there is food for them -- and broth has plenty.

UGH....I put it in with the water to boil my chicken carcuses in...it has been in the oven for over 4 hours at 300....what do you all think???