Menu

Growing with Grammar question

BlessedMom

Interesting question. The material I have seen by using GWG is definately not offensive to be as a Christian.

I think the confusion might be the terminology. BJU and Abeka for example are religious curriculum houses and that will probably be reflected in sentence choices. For example, I recall several BJU lessons using sentences about missionaries and church activites. These are the sentences that the child must work with to correct, punctuate, diagram, etc.

GWG uses completely "neutral" sentences about going on a trip, or playing a game or some such thing. The child punctuates, etc these sentences.

Personally, I dont think secular means offensive. I would use terms such as "anti-christian" if it were offensive to me as a christian.

Have you looked at the samples?

My son will be in 6th grade next fall, but we are doing GWG 5. I spent a year trying to do DG 2/3 and EG 3 with him and it didn't not stick and was torture (for both of us)! So in 4th grade he did GWG 3, in 5th grade he did GWG 4, in 6th grade, we will be doing GWG 5. :) And I am ok with that. He is too.

I looked at GWG at out local convention and decided to just keep with the pace we are doing and not skip GWG5 and go into GWG6. I fear there may be something he'll miss. :)

If all else fails and you're not sure what to do, contact Tamy. She is always willing to help folks decide what would work best for their children.

Each level can easily be finished in a year doing three lessons a week. If you did four or five lessons a week, you could increase your speed a little. We love this program.

I have a dd going into 6th grade. She hasn't had a lot of grammar. Do you think she could start in the 6th grade book or should she start a year younger?

Thanks,

Joy