Menu

My DS wants to learn Latin. Although he is not yet in high school, he took an online test that indicated he is ready to study high school level Latin. The test was for an online class and we have decided not to take Latin online for now. I am planning to get him Henle Latin with the Study Guide to direct his lessons.

Henle does not seem to include pronunciation (he has no prior Latin). Am I missing something? Is pronunciation of a language he will not be speaking important?

What else will he need? At what point did your DC begin reading Latin and what supplements do you use for this?

My DS wants to learn Latin. Although he is not yet in high school, he took an online test that indicated he is ready to study high school level Latin. The test was for an online class and we have decided not to take Latin online for now. I am planning to get him Henle Latin with the Study Guide to direct his lessons.

Henle does not seem to include pronunciation (he has no prior Latin). Am I missing something? Is pronunciation of a language he will not be speaking important?

What else will he need?

You'll need the Henle Grammar book, too.

Pronunciation - I don't have time to thumb through my Henle books right now, but it seems to me there is a pronunciation guide somewhere. Or else I am just thinking of the previous (lower level) Latin we did had pronunciation help. In any case, the pronunciation is not difficult to learn - I think it's simpler than English pronunciation. You could look for a Latin dictionary in your library (or buy one - might be useful to you later in Henle) and look at the pronunciation guide.

But yes, I do think the pronunciation is important, esp. because I have my kids read their Latin to English translations out loud, and they have to read them in Latin first. But really, pronunciation is easy.

Seton sells a pronunciation CD that goes with Henle 1.

http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=P-L1HS-16

In addition to the Henle 1 student text and grammar, you will also want the Henle 1 answer key.

My son began a true Latin reading course after completing Henle 1 & 2. However, we used Lingua Latina along the way as a supplement.

Brenda

All of my kids so far have started Henle 1 before high school, 3 of them in 6th grade(or before with one child). I try to do a lot aloud with them when they are younger and gradually release the writing (or doing aloud and checking as they go) to them as they get older. I highly recommend learning it along with your child if at all possible.

Wheelocks has an online Latin pronunciation key that I have used for classical pronunciation help for Henle vocab. I think the one by Seton is Ecclesiastical, fyi.

Also, I have Canon Press's Latin 1 & Latin 2 pronunciation CDs and I have have found pronunciation for just about every word I needed (or was not sure on) after using the given pronunciation guides in Henle 1.

And the different sources are very inconsistent from one Classical curric to another (Not the Wheellocks' website, it is great!)

Lisa J

My son began a true Latin reading course after completing Henle 1 & 2. However, we used Lingua Latina along the way as a supplement.

Brenda

We also have Lingua Latina, but are using Linney's Latin class right now. I wanted to do Lingua Latina parallel, but it has been too much for my 8th grader. How do you incorporate Lingua Latina into Henle?

We used to do Henle 4 days/wk, and then work on reading one of the stories in LL on Fridays. I wish we'd had more time to work with LL, but Henle kept us pretty busy. In hindsight, I wish that I had my son work on new vocabulary more while we were doing Henle.

Henle deliberately keeps the amount of vocabulary low so the student can focus on the grammar. I can see how that was a very effective approach for learning the grammar, but the problem is that once you leave Henle, your student will need a lot more vocabulary to be able to read Latin from a variety of authors. The one nice thing about LL is that the vocabulary it introduces is very different than what is in Henle, so I think the two compliment each other very well in that aspect.

Brenda

What else will he need? At what point did your DC begin reading Latin and what supplements do you use for this?

Having used Henle for several years, I realized early on that I needed to supplement the program with several things. At a minimum, students need exposure to reading "authentic" Latin from the outset. For these purposes, Bolchazy Carducci has excellent "readers" from the introductory stage forward. There are also some Latin readers/primers in the public domain you can access online. The other materials that are important include Roman Culture (one recommendation is To Be a Roman), Roman History (variety of texts available), and Classical Mythology (we have used BC Classical Mythology worktext).

I found Henle to be a solid introduction to Latin studies, but as stated above, it has its limitations and requires supplementation.

Brenda

May I ask what kind of Latin course you did after Henle 1 & 2? What about doing all 4 books of Henle Latin?

May I ask what kind of Latin course you did after Henle 1 & 2? What about doing all 4 books of Henle Latin?

He's doing a course with Wheelock's Latin Reader. I've heard that books 3 & 4 of Henle focus exclusively on Caesar & Cicero. I wanted my son to get exposure to other Latin authors, too.

Brenda

• 1 month later...
If you have time, could you list the Latin readers from Bolchazy Carducci that you used with Henle?

And also the online readers?

Thank you

Could I get these also? Only if you have time. My up and coming 10th grade daughter is starting Henle latin 2 next year online again with Memoria Press. It seems so supplementary reading might be helpful? She really seems to like Latin. Thank you for your time, if you have it. Siobhan