Menu

Anyone use Singapore and Life of Fred Fractions together?

mom2myboys

We did SM5a with LOF Fractions and are now doing SM5b with LOF Decimals and Percents. I think it worked well that way because fractions are a big focus of 5a and decimals and percents are a big part of 5b. That said, LOF is mostly review. I think it could be done earlier if you wanted. I like it though... It's kind of spirally and works as a wonderful fun review of math. I'm not sure I'd like it so much for the first introduction... so for us, SM5 was a good time to do Fred. Plus, that'll leave next year for LOF Pre-Algebra and SM6 (or an alternative pre-algebra book).

We are currently using Singapore Math and loving it. I would like to add in Life of Fred Fractions and was wondering where it would fit the best? Would it go alongside 4A or is it better left for level 5 of SM? Thanks!

It can be done with 4A if you expand on the long division lesson with 10 as the divisor to include other multi-digit numbers. One of the prerequisites of LOF: Fractions is the ability to do long division with multi-digit divisors.

I am curious to hear what people say in this thread.

Although DS11 used Fred Fractions & D&% as standalones and is doing fine in pre-algebra for a strong-math kid, DS8 is doing so well in Singapore that I am reluctant to abandon it with him... but he is champing at the bit to start "the big Fred books" like older brother. It looks like he will finish Singapore 3B in about 6 weeks total, maybe less, but I may have him finish the Fred elementary series and take time to practice his basic facts* before moving on to 4A. But if we do that, I will be out of Fred material to stall with, and he will want to start Fractions at that point.

*he can already do long division, but I want him proficient to the point where he doesn't have to think about 56/7 before moving on. We have a bunch of games and challenges lined up for Mr. Multimodal & dysgraphic learner to help out.

That is the other consideration with Fred... No workbook; it is all respond on notebook paper, so pencil/physical maturity can also be an issue.

*he can already do long division, but I want him proficient to the point where he doesn't have to think about 56/7 before moving on. We have a bunch of games and challenges lined up for Mr. Multimodal & dysgraphic learner to help out.

I had to smile at your example, because the number of questions in Fractions and D&P involving multiplying and dividing by 7 is considerable and conspicuous. :001_smile:

We just started LOF Fractions. Ds is almost through with 4A. I was going to save it and use it this summer with him as more of a review/cementing/fun math. But I'm using the elementary Fred books with his younger brother and he saw the Fractions book and wanted to start it. So far, it seems about right. He also has some skills that are above where we are in Singapore. For example, the first Bridge in LOF Fractions had them divide 200 by 12. I don't think we've gone over long division with a multi-digit divisor but he was able to do that.

Thank you everyone for your responses! This helps so much. We are doing 4A now and are about to start the unit on fractions. I was wondering if LoF Fractions would go along with it to reinforce things or if it would be more advanced. Math is intuitive for this DS, so he probably would do fine with it now. And if it is too much, I can always set it aside for later, right?

We actually started in 4A, but ended up shelving it until 4B ... so most of the book for ds#1 has been 4B and 5A (why my response up thread). He's not intuitive with math (though he does alright for the most part), but it helped give him a bit more foundation before resuming. Now that he is knee-deep in serious fraction work in 5A (at least I think he'd describe it that way :lol: ), LoF is more review for him. All that to say, I would think starting now would be fine ... and like you say, you can always set it aside for a unit or two on Singapore if you see the need.