Menu

Struggling Reader and Story of the World

july19

I did a forum search, and didn't see anything. If this is a frequent or silly question, I apologize.

We have chosen Story of the World to start with our almost first grader. He'll be six in July, and we school year round, with our "new" year happening in the middle of the summer. I think. I don't know. We're still working through stuff. Haha.

My question, though, is this - Can we still use SoTW even if he can't read independently? I know this sounds dumb, but I'm nervous about him retaining the info. He works so much better when he can work through things independently, and if I'm there reading the entire thing with him, I worry he won't retain the information. He does math independently, and prefers it that way. Same with handwriting. And the other things we do. Though we aren't doing much, yet.

As a side story/background info - he's really struggling with reading. Two years ago, it looked like everything was clicking right in. But over time, he has become so discouraged. He can sound out almost anything, and can struggle through simple sentences if he is in the *right* mood. But oftentimes, he is so dejected about reading in general, so he sets himself up to not be able to do it. Does that make any sense? And as soon as he makes a mistake, it's the end of the world and a temper tantrum occurs and he gets so angry. He's discouragement comes from mastering a sound, and then sounding out a word, and then BAM! English throws him a curve ball and that same letter/groups of letters suddenly sounds different. And we are trying to step back and not harp on the issue or let him know that we are freaking out on the inside because we want him to love to read...and if it feels like a chore, he won't want to do it. But at the same time, he'll be six soon and we have a huge move across the country coming up and ahh! I may be a little stressed out.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. SoTW....still workable with children who can't read yet? And if you're still reading this long ramble, I owe you a cookie. And a hug. :001_smile:

I would expect SOTW to be a read-aloud for most first graders, as well as the books recommended in the AG. You'll be fine!

And the child isn't 6 yet? If he's reading at all, I consider that still on target. I wouldn't fret too much yet. Give him a lot of chances to read things that are EASY for him. Build up his confidence. He sounds like a perfectionist. I have a few of those. :D My middle son is using a combination of Reading Eggs and Dancing Bears right now, and the repetition is really helping him move from sounding everything out to actually reading the words. And they don't throw weird things at the kid, nor are the rules complex.

When my boys were 7 and 5 we listened to the SOTW audio cd while we colored the activity pages (usually we needed to listen to it twice in order to finish the page). Then I asked the comprehension questions and had my older give a narration. Now my 8 year old reads it himself, but my 6 year old still listens to the audio. Even though he can read chapter books, it is much more enjoyable for him to listen to the cd.

I agree with PPs. SOTW is definitely meant to be read aloud. I came upon another SOTW1 at Goodwill and I bought it so ds8 could follow along as I read aloud. We like that setup so much we may just order 2 SOTW2's next year.

I selected complimentary literature based on their current reading levels.

I agree. Each week, during our library visits, I try to select a couple of books specifically related to what we are going to study the following week in history. Ds reads those on his own.

ETA:

It honestly never occurred to me to have ds read it on his own. I just somehow got it in my head that it was meant to be read orally, sequentially, during grammar stage. Maybe I'm wrong that it was meant to be a read-aloud.

Edited by Element

You absolutely *can* do SOTW with a child who doesn't read independently! Just read everything aloud. Which is my preferred method of teaching at that age anyway. Actually, reading the spine aloud is my preferred method for all ages. But I'm weird that way.

Once he starts reading well, gradually have him read books on historical topics that you think he'll enjoy. For my older son, this happened in 5th grade (he has dyslexia) and for the younger one, he started in 1st (but I'm still reading his history spine aloud, as well as some supplemental books with him).

ETA:

It honestly never occurred to me to have ds read it on his own. I just somehow got it in my head that it was meant to be read orally, sequentially, during grammar stage. Maybe I'm wrong that it was meant to be a read-aloud.

It only occurred to me because my history loving son stole the book and read ahead himself. :tongue_smilie: He's gone through the whole series... twice. We're doing US History via Sonlight now, and I'm enforcing that Mom reads the read-alouds. He can read them again AFTER we're done. :D