Menu

Do you know of one that's more than just answering questions, defining words, filling in webs, and questioning motives?

This is for my rising seventh grader dd. She would love to have interesting activities, recipes, and such included. This won't be her only source of literary analysis.

I know of the Veritas Press, Progeny Press, Highlands Latin School, and Sparks. None of them look like what she's asking for, but it's hard to get a flavor for any of them online.

I'm assuming you've already heard of Where the Brook and River Meet. It looks like it has quite a few hands on activities. I do think you'd have to cut it down to size if it isn't your only literature and history for the year. It looks like a thorough approach. Just thought I'd mention it since it does include interesting activities and field trips.

Activity list in the back of the guide includes recipes and quite a few interesting activities....

link to activity list...

http://www.cadroncreek.com/Merchant2/Cadron_Graphics/PDF/Where_the_Brook_and_River_Meet_by_Margie_Gray/Where_the_Brook_and_River_Meet_By_Margie_Gray_Sample_Activity_Appendix.pdf

Link to description of guide in case you haven't looked at it....

http://www.cadroncreek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCCC&Product_Code=Victorian_001

Edited by shanvan

I'm assuming you've already heard of Where the Brook and River Meet. It looks like it has quite a few hands on activities. I do think you'd have to cut it down to size if it isn't your only literature and history for the year. It looks like a thorough approach. Just thought I'd mention it since it does include interesting activities and field trips.

Activity list in the back of the guide includes recipes and quite a few interesting activities....

link to activity list...

http://www.cadroncreek.com/Merchant2/Cadron_Graphics/PDF/Where_the_Brook_and_River_Meet_by_Margie_Gray/Where_the_Brook_and_River_Meet_By_Margie_Gray_Sample_Activity_Appendix.pdf

Link to description of guide in case you haven't looked at it....

http://www.cadroncreek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCCC&Product_Code=Victorian_001

WOW! That is just about the neatest unit study I have seen! I used to love Anne of Green Gables. Too bad my dd doesn't. I love the look of the Narnian study as well. Thanks for the tip!

I have never ordered any of the Progeny Press literature study guides, but it may be worth checking them out. They do offer hard copy books in addition to electronic file versions. Here is a link to Anne of Green Gables. I don't see a sample, but they might be able to provide one for you if you ask.

Progeny uses a Christian worldview, just so you know.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thank you. There is a sample under the picture on this page. The only extra activity I saw in the sample is a writing assignment, but your post prompted me to shoot them an email asking for more details. :001_smile:

I'm curious to know what you find out from their customer service. Please be sure to post the results of your inquiry whenever you get the chance.

Blessings,

Lucinda

DD and I have looked over samples from Progeny Press and Where the Brook and River Meet. We're leaning towards the latter, but now we're trying to decide if we want to just graze Brook and River, or replace her literature with it next year.

That sounds like a good plan. I've been thinking about doing maybe two of these during eighth grade studies next year. I read a review that said that the only criticism of these guides was that they are stretched out over such a long time. I was thinking that if we did that two times during the school year, but kept up with other reading too that it might work. I don't want to get too bogged down in one book because my dd is somewhat of a voracious reader.

I'd love to hear how it goes for you if you do use any of the Progeny Press guides.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Here's what they said.

DD and I have looked over samples from Progeny Press and Where the Brook and River Meet. We're leaning towards the latter, but now we're trying to decide if we want to just graze Brook and River, or replace her literature with it next year.

I may use WBRM with Dd when she approaches high school age. Have you looked at the reading contract in the sample pages? I had never looked at it until today. It is a hefty study! I don't think I'd be able to cut it down enough to just graze it. But, I think if I wanted to just use the lit portion, that might be doable--still a rigorous study. From looking at samples, I cannot tell if there is any guidance given for the other literature listed in the reading. Something you may want to consider if you want to use all of the literature selections.

I would like to offer some insight into WtBaRM b/c I have been sort of using it this yr w/my 7th grader (I have modified it significantly.) But, I am not sure when I will have the time to type out a post.

I just wanted to share that while it takes the entire yr to get through AGG, they are reading numerous other books/poems, etc interspersed.

Could Where the Brook and the River Meet be adjusted for a more secular family? It looks like an amazing resource, but we're not into incorporated Bible study.

From what I've seen it could be adjusted somewhat by skipping the Bible portions. Still, for history one of the resources is Diana Waring's books, which are decidedly Christian. I know from reading The Annotated Anne that there will be an emphasis on the worldview of L.M. Montgomery.

A lot of what is in the Annotated Anne is some pretty heavy info for a child of 10 or 11. I agree with the publisher about waiting until late junior high for this study. To be honest, some of it was heavy for me! After I read the Annotated Anne, some of the magic of the story was lost for me. I still love the book, but I can't get some of the info from Annotated Anne out of my mind enough to respond to it in the same way. But, sometimes I take these things a little too seriously. :blushing:

At any rate some of the subject matter is a bit much for younger children.

Ok, I finally have more than 2 minutes to myself (well, not exactly.....my 2 yr old is on my lap, so I am definitely distracted while typing, so I am sorry if I am not coherent.)

WtBaRM as written recommends some resources that I would not use w/a middle school student. I pre-read many of the suggested books this summer and rejected some outright (the Mary Pride and Schaffer books come to mind right away.) There is a lot of bible study incorporated into the study if you use it as written. There are no teaching materials for the additional readings other than brief synopses of the readings.

I don't use the study as written, so take my comments for what they are worth.

My dd does not use the Annotated Anne. I do. She reads the simple novel version. The annotations will guide you toward the numerous allusions w/in the story. (and numerous they are!) The 2 additional resources I do recommend are Anne's Anthology and the Green Gable Letters (word of caution, LM Montgomery had many controversial beliefs, so if you are uncomfortable to exposing your child to someone who expresses beliefs in reincarnation intermixed w/weak Christian theology, you might not want to read this book. For us, it was a book for great conversation)

To give you an idea of what all we have read (or watched) to accompany AGG:

Poetry:

Lady of the Lake

Siege of Valencia

Edinburg after Flodden

Marmion

(and numerous short poems like "Evelyn Hope)

I highly recommend incorporating The Art of Poetry by Classical Academic Press.

Shakespeare (we read the Garfield version, followed by watching a production, followed by reading the play along w/an audio):

Macbeth

King Lear

Much Ado About Nothing

Othello

Novels (both fiction and non-fiction):

Northwest Passage (book 1)

Pere Marquette

Jacques Cartier

Shadows on the Rock

Secret Garden

Little Women

Watched:

Great Expectations

Oliver Twist

Orphan Train

For history, I have incorporated a lot of Canadian, British history. (we are listening to the Teaching Co lectures on the Tudors/Stuarts, but they are among my least favorite TC lectures we have ever listened to, so I personally don't recommend them.)

Those are the things I remember off the top of my head. I'm sure I am forgetting things. Anyway, hopefully you can see that even though you only read 1 chpt/wk in AGG, you are really reading many other works.

Oh, and dd did learn to weave and how to make raspberry cordial this yr. ;)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Oh thank you. That does help!

I hadn't thought of using the annotated version for myself. Fabulous idea.

I don't particularly want her reading the two "occupational" books you listed, either. She's interested in aiming for the "A" grade reading, but I can substitute something for them. (This kid is a box checker, and prefers working independently.)

Can I ask why you felt the need to beef up the history? It's hard to tell if there's enough from the samples, or just enough for sending us on bunny trails.

We love CAP products; I'll look closer at their poetry. And now my 18mo is of the opinion his mom has had enough computer time. :tongue_smilie:

I personally don't find there to be any where near enough history content included to be anything close to a history credit. But, as I posted, I don't use most of her suggestions (especially none of her writing, bible/Christian suggestions. Some of the commentary is inaccurate. I also don't agree w/her perspective on the vast majority of things. :tongue_smilie: )

I have basically taken what she has designed, rejected about 90% of it and created my own (which I honestly believe is vastly superior. :lol: )

I did want to agree w/Shanvan. I would not use this study w/a younger student. It is designed for a more mature audience. Also, my dd does not do this study independently. She and I spend around 1-2 hrs/day working together.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I personally don't find there to be any where near enough history content included to be anything close to a history credit. But, as I posted, I don't use most of her suggestions (especially none of her writing, bible/Christian suggestions. Some of the commentary is inaccurate. I also don't agree w/her perspective on the vast majority of things. :tongue_smilie: )

I have basically taken what she has designed, rejected about 90% of it and created my own (which I honestly believe is vastly superior. :lol: )

For the OP, I had thought of the possibility of spending money on The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook and some kits for the craft/homemaking activities. Also include works from Anne's Anthology and choose from Dickens and other related works.

8FillTheHeart,

After reading your post I thought it sounded like you were mostly coming up with your own study, which is what I think I'd probably have to do too. WtBaRM is a little expensive for having to come up with a lot by myself. I'll have to think long and hard before I decide to use it w/ my Dd. Like you, I'd have to read and plan in the summer. And I believe you when you say your study is better! Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps those of us considering this study. Do you feel that buying the guide was worth it, or do you think you could have come up with your own study without it?

You are using some planning intensive curriculum when I look at your signature! I can't imagine using Prairie Primer & WtBaRM in the same year! (Then again, I'm planning TOG and that's teacher intensive too.)

I have the Prairie Primer and I haven't used that b/c I don't want to be bothered with all the work I'll have to put into it. Though I might have to think about digging it out for Dd next year. It would be a nice change for her.

One of the things I don't like about PP or WtBaRM guides is the very open ended assignments and the lack of actual reading material included in the guides. I always thought I could come up with my own similar assignments just from reading the books and exploring rabbits trails when interests arise. I was somewhat disappointed with Prairie Primer once I saw that it was mostly ideas for assignments and activities and that I would need to get my own books to follow through on them.

Edited by shanvan

The more I read of the possibilities for this type of a study the more excited I'm getting. We found the Anne Treasury (background info, maps, tea with Anne, recipes, handiwork) at the local Half Price Books yesterday, and a few of the extra literature books. I had to put the treasury out of sight when we got home, or Joy would have had it exhausted long before fall.

At this point I definitely want the guide to at least provide a framework, or get me aimed in the right direction. We've homeschooled from the beginning, yet haven't done a single formal unit study. I reserve the right to change my mind on how much it will guide us when it actually gets here, though. :tongue_smilie:

Joy is now trying to convince me to do the Narnia study when the two siblings under her are in 5th and 3rd, the year she'll be in 8th, so she can do that one too. :lol:

Well, I'm certainly glad I mentioned it then! I do find it is often easier to tweak and adjust a study guide than it is to start from scratch....so I will probably end up doing the same thing when my Dd reaches an age appropriate for WtBaRM.