Menu

What do you think about art, and which art program is best?

Mom to Aly

My 9 yo dd loves to draw, paint, whatever, but I can't take her for art lessons (no car). Is there an inexpensive, or moderately priced art program you would advise, nothing boring like color theory, line drawing, etc, but fun stuff that would also really teach? Do you feel it is really necessary at this age?

Thank you!

I'm also researching art programs for my ds10. I've looked at the How Great Thou Art programs and am leaning toward Feed My Sheep. It looks like a good comprehensive program and it also covers 3 years of instruction which makes it a good value. As for fun, I can't say b/c we haven't used it yet! Good luck finding what works for you!

Hi there,

We have used and enjoyed Barry Stebbing's art book/ programs in the past, especially Feed My Sheep and Little Annie's Art Book of Etiquette; they provide nice, short lessons, a basic list of art supplies and our children enjoyed his approach -you might want to have a look at this. Also, this year I plan to look into "Draw Today", "Sculpt Today" and "Paint Today" for

something a little different - hope this helps, good luck with your search! :001_smile:

Sincerely,

Danielle

My 9 yo dd loves to draw, paint, whatever, but I can't take her for art lessons (no car). Is there an inexpensive, or moderately priced art program you would advise, nothing boring like color theory, line drawing, etc, but fun stuff that would also really teach? Do you feel it is really necessary at this age?

Thank you!

Whatever program you use, I would highly recommend Bruce McIntyre's Drawing Textbook. I find it to be a great foundational text for drawing basics, like shading, perspective, etc. Along those same lines, The Big Yellow Drawing Book is another text which teaches basics using a cartooning theme. When I first began drawing at your dd's age, cartooning was the first thing I learned. It taught me a lot of foundational concepts in a fun format.

We have used Artistic Pursuits in the past, but are using The Phonics of Drawing this year. We got the "masterpiece collection" here: http://www.teachartathome.com/collection_hsbc.htm

with a discount as homeschoolbuyerscoop memebers. We loved the samples. My art major eldest daughter thought it looked great. We have Calverts art course, too, but this looks to have the nuts and bolts my dd (11) wants). Will check out some of the book suggestions, too! Thanks!

TFJ

Highly recommend Atelier Homeschool Art. It is pricey new, but look for it on swap boards and ebay. Make sure you get the parent manual (only need to purchase 1x, good for all levels), and that it includes the dvd/vhs along with the lesson plans. Art prints are nice, but not necessary.

I think art is good for all levels and grades. It doesn't have to be done ever day, but adding it here and there is a good thing. I try to teach it once a week, but haven't been good on that goal lately. :(

Okay, here's a question. My dd loves drawing, and does so constantly-and I mean CONSTANTLY! She is also very creative when it comes to crafts, and making up things herself. Because I have no talent in that area whatsoever. Okay, here's the question part. I'm afraid if I get one of the art programs that tries to teach her how to draw this, or how to draw that, it will take away some of her own creativity and change her style. Are there any art programs that will allow them to be creative without saying "do it this way". Again, very ignorant when it comes to this, as it has never interested me personally.

Thanks!

Tammi

• 1 month later...
We have used Artistic Pursuits in the past, but are using The Phonics of Drawing this year. We got the "masterpiece collection" here: http://www.teachartathome.com/collection_hsbc.htm

with a discount as homeschoolbuyerscoop memebers. We loved the samples. My art major eldest daughter thought it looked great. We have Calverts art course, too, but this looks to have the nuts and bolts my dd (11) wants). Will check out some of the book suggestions, too! Thanks!

Can you tell us a bit more about the other CDs in the set? Will you start with Phonics of Drawing, then do Multimedia Junior? Are Multimedia Junior and Multimedia mutually exclusive or do you plan on doing both?

TIA