Menu

seeking a humorous, chick read for spring break

I want a funny, chick read!! It can be fiction, memoir, whatever. Just something laugh-out-loud funny. I love Southern humor, and it can be somewhat irreverent. Something along the lines of The Sweet Potato Queens books.

TIA for any fun suggestions.

I've really enjoyed Jen Lancaster's memoirs. She does have a mouth on her, so you'd probably want to avoid them if you're offended by occasional rough language, but she's also quite conservative in many ways (her stories of personal modesty, punctuated with rather salty language, are hilarious).

I know a lot of people have liked Tina Fey's memoir, Bossypants. Personally, I found it rather sad.

I really like Meg Cabot when I am needing something light ...and she is hilarious! My recommendations are Boy next door, every Girl's got one...can't remember the other ones, but those are great!

Other recommedation for fun "Chick" books set in the south is anything by Mary Kay Andrews.

Enjoy!!!

Sophie Kinsella of Shopaholic fame (the book is better than the movie). She just released a new book I've Got Your Number which was silly at the end, but very sweet.

Also, Theresa Medeiros' Goodnight Tweetheart. Although Medieros is usually a traditional romance writer, Goodnight Tweetheart is firmly in chick lit territory and I thought the story was very good.

At first, I thought your thread title was "Seeking a humorous chick ready for spring break". After I reinserted my eyeballs, my reading comprehension improved.

:lol:

Definitely books by Bill Bryson. It is not Southern humor. I would start with In a Sunburnt Country.

I read some of his stuff when we lived in England. He is VERY funny.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I think I'll try the Shopaholic book.

Marian Keyes. She's an Irish writer. Great quirky chick-lit! This Charming Man was my favourite, but I have enjoyed all of her fiction. Just beware of Under the Duvet and its sequel as they are compilation of articles she wrote about her drinking problem for a newspaper and nowhere near as funny.

Also, Susan Elizabeth Phillips writes some fun mindless romance that are pretty amusing. Just be warned that they do involve some fairly graphic .....romance.....which you may wish to skip past to get back to the plot.