Menu

Would you pay with money order for used curriculum

melissamomof5

I did pay $15 with a money order for some books, and I did receive them. But I would go with your gut if you do not feel comfortable with it. If you tell the seller you only want to pay with Paypal (and many people do) they may decide to set up an account anyway.

After reading on here... most mom's are trustworthy, but still, it only takes 1 and I did read about 1 the other day who has a bad rep.

I have been burned on Half.com and Ebay as well as Amazon. Paypal takes a little while but they did come through for me. Amazon has not yet.

And, my bank took a MO that I accepted, but said they really aren't supposed to even take them anymore!

I prefer Paypal for many reasons, and buyer protection is important.

I am getting a bit worried about an order I placed, but still hope it will come, and am glad it was a PP transaction to a seller on here.

I am wondering why some people don't have PP accounts. Surely there are still Free Checking accounts out there they could strictly use for this.

I hope so! I am going to check on one for me soon, because when I got a laptop and changed email provider's, PP would not allow me to use the same account! Frustrating to say the least.

A quick solution is to search their posts. Just copy/paste their user name or email into the search box (just above the top message on the right). That way you can see how long they have been on there and if they have had any transactions with other members.

Another idea is to search for their user name on the HOD forum. I have seen many of the sellers on the yahoo FS group posting on there.

Edited by savmom
Oops forgot something

A quick solution is to search their posts. Just copy/paste their user name or email into the search box (just above the top message on the right). That way you can see how long they have been on there and if they have had any transactions with other members.

Another idea is to search for their user name on the HOD forum. I have seen many of the sellers on the yahoo FS group posting on there.

Thank you for the ideas. I did do the first one. She has only posted a couple ISO and then this FS.

I will try the second idea too though! Thanks. :)

I'm less concerned with the risk than the annoyance and expense of having to buy a money order. I don't understand it when someone says they don't have Paypal. As far as I understand it that for a small fee they can opt to have a check mailed to them if they don't want to set up an account for automatic deposit.

So unless I really wanted the item and it was hard to find, I'd probably not want to bother.

:iagree: I refuse to pay by MO. My bank is an hour away and it costs me a lot extra to get a MO. I have paid by check on here once because I really wanted it and I trusted the seller. But I probably will not ever again. Too much risk.

thank you for the added replies! It is kind of a bother for me to go to the credit union too. I don't know the next time I'll be out that way and I don't really want to make an extra trip for it and pay $1 for the check. I guess by the time it's all said and done, gas & the $1 fee I wouldn't be saving all that much over buying it new.

I'm less concerned with the risk than the annoyance and expense of having to buy a money order. I don't understand it when someone says they don't have Paypal. As far as I understand it that for a small fee they can opt to have a check mailed to them if they don't want to set up an account for automatic deposit.

So unless I really wanted the item and it was hard to find, I'd probably not want to bother.

On another note, postal money orders are good because they will cash them at the post office.

Most people who have PayPal feel totally safe but we have proof it is anything but...:glare:

We started using PP back when we were eBay powersellers. At first, we thought PP was great. But after our bank account was hacked by scammers from India using PayPal to get our checking account info, we closed the account and have no intentions of using them again. And in case you were wondering, no we did not give someone our information via spoof mail or anything else. It happens more than PP leads people to believe! Do an internet search and you will see there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people who lost money because of PP's poor practices.

We have lost more money to fraudulent sellers using PP (in the $1,000's) than we ever did using MO's (less than $50 and that was totally my fault because I did not research the seller better).

By the way, I was helping a friend try to set up a PP account recently and in order to have a PP check mailed to you, you must verify your account by linking a checking account or credit card account.

I have bought and sold many things over the internet, including most of my curriculum. I've used paypal and money orders as well as a personal check a couple of times. Never had a problem. I've purchased here, ebay, vegsource, hslda, etc. If you were buying an ipad on craigslist, I'd be more concerned.

No, it's not worth the hassle for me. I deal strictly with funded Paypal. The exception would be that it is an item of exceeding rarity and value.. which I doubt. Most of the time you can get many copies of different homeschool materials.

:iagree: I refuse to pay by MO. My bank is an hour away and it costs me a lot extra to get a MO. I have paid by check on here once because I really wanted it and I trusted the seller. But I probably will not ever again. Too much risk.

I can get a MO from the gas station near my house. Sometimes they're on sale for 49 cents. I think they're regularly 99 cents.